TDC question

More
14 Apr 2007 13:35 #130067 by Handegard
TDC question was created by Handegard
My first post here will be a stupid question, but I lost my manual!

1982 GPz 550

Does the "pointer" line up with the "T" at TDC, or does it line up with the "|" that is next to the "T"?

Thats sadly all I need to know to finish my bike today...

Thanks, looks like you guys have a nice site, and I see a few familar faces/names here....

1982 GPz550 H1
stock, except pod filters

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2007 13:54 #130079 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic TDC question
Any chance You could post a pic?
I'm not familiar with the 550,but maybe a pic would help?...

And Welcome to KZR!

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
14 Apr 2007 14:25 #130102 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic TDC question
Hi and welcome Handegard. I'm not sure if yours is like mine but I don't think there is a lot of variation. On mine there is an F to the right of that is a line, that line is the F mark. To the right of the F mark is another line, then a T. The line directly to the left of the T is the T mark. So to answer your question the line is your alignment mark. Sorry you didn't get an answer sooner but I was working on getting mine running.
Good luck
RonJ

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
14 Apr 2007 14:26 #130103 by vach
Replied by vach on topic TDC question
I pretty sure it's the "T". Unless the "I" is the marker for the "T" sorry, not much help I'm sure. ;) Any pics?

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

More
14 Apr 2007 14:31 #130104 by Handegard
Replied by Handegard on topic TDC question
I doubt I have a snowballs chance of getting a picture through that little hole, but what the heck, I'll give it a shot [*grin*]

1982 GPz550 H1

More
14 Apr 2007 14:33 #130105 by Handegard
Thanks much ronjones, I think you answered my question. To clarify for everyone, this is what I have:

T | F |

I first timmed the cam to "T", but the lines got me thinking that the "T" is just a lable, and the "|" is my mark.

Any thoughts?

1982 GPz550 H1

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
14 Apr 2007 14:50 #130106 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic TDC question
the line is the mark

More
14 Apr 2007 15:06 #130110 by vach
Replied by vach on topic TDC question
I think top dead center is exactly right under the "T". When you"re timing it you line your marks inside the center of the "F". Just to be sure pull the plugs and turn the engine with a wrench and put a straw or dowel in the #1 cylinder and rotate the motor slowly to see exactly where TDC is.

1979 kz650 B. Chicago, Illinois

More
14 Apr 2007 15:39 #130116 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic TDC question
Vach, His question doesn't make it clear whether he is doing ignition timing or setting up the cam chain timing. If it is the cam chain timing, the mark next to the T is the correct one... TDC. If the fella is doing ignition timing, with a timing light, he should be using the mark next to the F... if static ignition timing, the T mark again.

I read his question as meaning cam chain timing... USE THE | next to the T if that is the case. Line this mark up with the mark on the engine cases. The advice to stick a pencil in the #4 plug hole is fine BUT you will also feel the piston crown at the F mark although it will be down just a shade but if you are not experienced, you probably won't be able to tell the difference.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
14 Apr 2007 16:03 #130126 by Handegard
Thanks everyone!

I'm installing my cams, as wiredgeorge guessed.

The cams are all installed and timmed, its just been awhile since I did this last.

Now I just need torque specs for the head and cam bolts, and I'll put my baby back on the road!

YAY!

Thanks all...

1982 GPz550 H1

More
15 Apr 2007 10:22 #130346 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic TDC question

If you are doing the cams, don't forget to remove or release the tension from the cam-chain tensioner before bolting down the valve cover. Also, see my signature for a link to a manual for the 550 motors.

Also, since you are doing the cam timing, in case it came up, the Clymer 550 manual has the wrong spec for camchain stretch limit. For 20 links of chain (that is the distance between the centers of 21 pins), the length is 128.9mm (5.07").

You can download the manual here for now:
manual

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/04/15 14:58
Attachments:

More
15 Apr 2007 10:42 #130353 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic TDC question
wiredgeorge wrote:

Vach, His question doesn't make it clear whether he is doing ignition timing or setting up the cam chain timing. If it is the cam chain timing, the mark next to the T is the correct one... TDC. If the fella is doing ignition timing, with a timing light, he should be using the mark next to the F... if static ignition timing, the T mark again.

I'm not sure why he would he use the T mark for static timing?

I'm pretty sure, either way, static or dynamic, firing is set at F not T.
At higher RPM it's at the 1-4 mark.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/04/15 13:49