76 kz900 timing advance?

More
09 Apr 2007 16:12 #128199 by cnyl
Replied by cnyl on topic 76 kz900 timing advance?
So my buddy decided today that he didn't want to mess with the bike anymore....

$400 later and i'm the new proud owner!:woohoo:

I still need to fix the "will not idle under 2000 issue" though....

WG you out there? Anyone??

Post edited by: cnyl, at: 2007/04/09 19:20

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2007 18:44 #128252 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 76 kz900 timing advance?
cnyl wrote:

...need to fix the "will not idle under 2000 issue" though...Anyone?....

Perhaps overlooked in the thread, but am wondering if previous suggestions have been implemented, and if so, what were the results of the following?

Advancer unit cleaned and lubed, with good springs, and operating smooth and easy, and no sticking in open position?

Points clean and smooth with no pitting, proper gap, and no sparks arcing while running? Cam clean and smooth with single drop of oil on felt (which keeps slight lube between can and heel of point)?

Ignition timing set close as possible using static method (engine off) with 12 volt bulb or ohmeter while adjusting?

What were the compression psi numbers (spark plugs removed, throttle held wide open, crank over with electric starter for a few seconds to reach max compression -- repeat for each cylinder)?

What were measurements on the valve clearances (special shim remover tool is NOT needed to CHECK the clearances, and only needed to ADJUST clearances by removing and replacing shims)?

Are all four cylinders now firing? Does the water spray test onto exhaust headers with engine running confirm this with hard sizzle on each exhaust header pipe?

When syncing carbs, was this done while carbs were disassembled "on the bench" or was a manometer used (four- gauge or mercury-tube style) connected to vacuum ports with engine running? Sync settings may not be correct if idle speed remained too high while attempting to sync.

Such additional information about the ongoing remedial efforts could help with the diagnosis. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
09 Apr 2007 19:23 #128276 by cnyl
Thanks Patton.
It's running on all four.I did the spray test to confirm. I did a bench sync as WG suggested and then sync'd while bike was running at 2000 rpm using Morgans carbtune 2.
That is where I left off with Easter and all...
I'm going to check the advancer, points and timing first, Then i'll move on to the valve clearence check. I don't have a compression tester so i'll have to get one.
Thanks for asking... Now I know what to do..:laugh:
It may take a while to get back with you guys.
I'll let you know.

Thanks again

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
10 Apr 2007 18:27 #128637 by cnyl
Well... The first thing I checked fixed the problem.
The Advancer unit needed to be cleaned and lubed. It was nasty! Idles nice and smooth.

Thanks again guys. ;)

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mathh

More
10 Apr 2007 19:43 #128666 by inline4
Replied by inline4 on topic 76 kz900 timing advance?
COOL!
Don't you just love these guys?
I certainly do; just don't express it that often. Glad you got her runnin' right cynl.B) B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1