Stator clearance for knee dragging?

More
28 Mar 2007 00:03 #124208 by loudhvx
This is purely guess work, because it's easy to stash electrical stuff in small places...

I'm a little confuses by the #27 photo. They show a rotor installed and a full-size stator-cover laying in the tub. Maybe they are just converting it from street to track. There is certainly no room for the stock charging system. If all it's running is ignition, I think a battery would handle the job all by itself. At high RPMs, the stock ignition uses half the power (or even less) than it would at idle. If they use a very sophisticated constant-energy ignition, they could get massive spark without using much battery power.

The #34 bike (in Conti's post) uses what I'm used to seeing. Normally that is a battery-only setup

The #1 bike has its cover sticking out a little farther, but who knows what, if anything, is under it.

Without a closeup under the points cover, it's hard to say what ignitions they are running, but a battery should easily last the length of a race, so the only drawback to the battery is it's weight. Because of the weight, some probably use a magneto setup from a dirt bike. I'm not sure which end of the crank you would stick a magneto on. Without an alternator, you could fab one on to either side of the crank, I suppose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2007 11:19 #124921 by Conti
CruisingRam,

Here are some interesting pics I just scanned from an old French motorbike magazine (04/26/1979) :

Those are Godier-Genoud-Kawasaki French motorbikes, I don't know if you ever heard about them. ;)

More
30 Mar 2007 11:35 - 26 Aug 2009 11:47 #124935 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Stator clearance for knee dragging?

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2009 11:47 by KZ250LTD.

More
30 Mar 2007 11:47 #124940 by Conti
KZ250LTD wrote:

Conti wrote:

Cool looking bike ;)

Yep. I think you American people don't hear a lot about them. Those are great motorbikes, which won a lot of races in the seventies.
They still even MAKE them. That's purely incredible. You can buy one of those KZ1000 race bikes *NEW*.

More
30 Mar 2007 19:00 #125049 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic Stator clearance for knee dragging? Now with pics!
Nice- I hadn't heard of them before- funny- I had the same idea myself- just running a sprocket off the crank to a generator of some sort.

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.