Tach Drive Oil Leak

More
28 Mar 2007 16:09 #124424 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Tach Drive Oil Leak
faucet washer from and assortment pack worked for me. Must be 4 years now and like KazooCruiser says "no drool".

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2007 17:44 #124439 by dkmk
Replied by dkmk on topic Tach Drive Oil Leak
I had a b**ch of a time trying to get mine out the other day. Slightly scored the guide axially back of the o-ring toward the cable end, and a little on the bore. Had to clean it up with a little fine emery cloth and a small flap wheel in valve housing. The fit is tight, but not what it was.
Anyone ever cut a second seat for an additional o-ring, similar to a piston with the double cup seals in a brake m/c? Maybe 1/8" in from the chamfer, and it could catch anything the first missed? I know an excellent machinist who loves a challenge. Just a thought. I don't want to have to do it twice. B)

Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

More
28 Mar 2007 19:26 #124464 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tach Drive Oil Leak
dkmk wrote:

... b**ch of a time trying to get mine out the other day. Slightly scored the guide axially back of the o-ring toward the cable end, and a little on the bore. Had to clean it up with a little fine emery cloth and a small flap wheel in valve housing. The fit is tight, but not what it was.
Anyone ever cut a second seat for an additional o-ring, similar to a piston with the double cup seals in a brake m/c? Maybe 1/8" in from the chamfer, and it could catch anything the first missed? I know an excellent machinist who loves a challenge. Just a thought. I don't want to have to do it twice. B)

Interesting question and unsurprising for a part remaining in place for maybe 30 years. In worst case scenerio, a new housing is available from Z1E for $30.

But I would consider first cleaning the opening with acetone, then a new shaft seal (inexpensive from Z1E)) with a new o-ring on the old unit and supplementing the o-ring seal with an application of Permatex hi-temp copper (comes in a squeeze tube from any auto-supply store). Believe this would assure a complete long lasting seal.

Believe your idea about the second o-ring would also work if there's enough metal thickness in the unit. Interesting question, because very dim memory recalls some of these units were originally fitted from the factorey with 2 o-rings. (Could be a just a mirage :unsure:)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
29 Mar 2007 05:28 #124538 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Tach Drive Oil Leak
When I tighten down mine it bottoms out and cable is still loose. Had to add an extra gasket to snug it. BTW, I had the same nasty leak but the kit from Z1 fixed it!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
29 Mar 2007 19:15 #124760 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Tach Drive Oil Leak
I never had a seal or an O ring for mine, I just got some liguid sealant, pulled that movable screw on part up the line, then put the sealant around the flange part of line and let it dry a little thenbrought the screw on part back down and squished it onto the sealant while screwing it on and my bike seals pretty good, and I must add, I put all 4 quarts into my bike without looking back. I gave you my dollar LTD, and I try my best to keep my bike sparkling like yours..... See post pics from the past weeks

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
01 Apr 2007 15:42 #125624 by boomboom45
Replied by boomboom45 on topic Tach Drive Oil Leak
anyone have the kit link, from z1 enterprises, or tell me barney style how to fix this?

More
01 Apr 2007 15:56 #125629 by z1rick
Replied by z1rick on topic Tach Drive Oil Leak
www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=KZ900-A4-1976-EN0

Go to page 5 I think it is...

Post edited by: z1rick, at: 2007/04/01 18:58

Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects