Head Swap

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
09 Mar 2007 11:51 #118693 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Head Swap
1200 Sleeves...

Are there any that can be salvaged from other model bikes or cars to avoid spending the $300 or so that the APE or LA parts costs?

FWIW, the ticker repair is holding so far. Did a brisk 15 min, nonstop, walk this AM. Hopefully will be cleared to ride at 21 or 26 Mar doc visit.

50 percocets down, 50 to go ;-)

-Duck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2007 12:36 #118705 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Head Swap
cool ,listen to what they tell ya.the Ape street kit comes with sleeves.its the higher compression and turbo kits you need to buy sleeves for.unless youre a cheap bass turd like me and have a collection of 1197 pistons laying around and not enough sleeves for all of them!:P

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2007 04:32 #118872 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Head Swap
77KZ650 wrote:

wiredgeorge wrote:

The J motor valves are a tad bigger. Not sure if the loss in compression and resulting horsepower would make sense. Perhaps you could put a couple gaskets on to get compression back upadding gaskets lowers compression as its just like doing the opposite of milling the head or cylinders but this would be a headache. If you want to go with bigger valves, buy the valves, get a valve job done on your old head as a decent performance shop could install the larger valves in the old head and you won't have to worry about adapting the cam chain idler arm and figuring out how to bump compression back up. Stock compression is 8.25:1 and that is about where you would end up.

the j head has bigger ports to go with the bigger valves, so just putting j valves in the old head without porting wouldnt be as good as running the j head with the right compression.

There isn't enough difference in flow to justify the swap based on larger port runners alone.

If you're runnin 29's on the motor, stay stock KZ head. Even up to say 34mm carbs, I'd stay stock KZ head for a moderate size street motor.

Lot's of people get the wrong impression that installing a J head on a KZ motor relates to big power gaines...don't fool yourself...it takes more work and more components to make that assumption a reality...

Larry C

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2007 04:44 #118874 by larrycavan
Actually Wireman...that was my "rant" on another forum after I read what I considered to be a lot of misinformation....I'll stand by my post...I also did apologize to the guy for hammering on hims so hard..

There is a point where the J head makes good sense and a point where it can't be justified to swap...

More
10 Mar 2007 05:51 #118888 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Head Swap
Lots of good 'scoop' here. 'Well said' to all of you. I believe that the J/GPz heads offer moderate improvement stock::stock, and great potential improvement when going with big modifications. And I believe all of you agree on this...now, who has that '84 GPz 1100 head that you're wanting to sell me on the cheap for my '78 Z1R big block? :woohoo:

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

• wireman
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2007 09:00 #118932 by wireman
larrycavan wrote:

Actually Wireman...that was my "rant" on another forum after I read what I considered to be a lot of misinformation....I'll stand by my post...I also did apologize to the guy for hammering on hims so hard..

There is a point where the J head makes good sense and a point where it can't be justified to swap...

thats why i love this guy(:blink: :P )we think so much alike!:P

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
10 Mar 2007 15:59 #119046 by larrycavan
wireman wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

thats why i love this guy(:blink: :P )we think so much alike!:P

Sure seems that way to me.....I like no nonsense people...

More
10 Mar 2007 19:20 #119095 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Head Swap
Whoever wrote the big long post have a number of errors. The most blatant is that a J head can take a 42mm intake valve without changing the seats. NOT SO. 38.6mm. max

Jay ( One who has put a lot of big valves in a lot of J heads.)

Post edited by: APE Jay, at: 2007/03/10 22:21

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
11 Mar 2007 13:56 #119256 by larrycavan
APE Jay wrote:

Whoever wrote the big long post have a number of errors. The most blatant is that a J head can take a 42mm intake valve without changing the seats. NOT SO. 38.6mm. max

Jay ( One who has put a lot of big valves in a lot of J heads.)<br><br>Post edited by: APE Jay, at: 2007/03/10 22:21

True.....

Post edited by: larrycavan, at: 2007/03/11 16:58

More
12 Mar 2007 13:05 #119533 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Head Swap
Interesting reading, thanks. With the head porting, agree that velocity not cfm flow is more important.
Sent the 84 GPZ head from my race bike to a well known cylinder head shop for a valve job and a "second opinion" It's got 42mm.in and 34mm. ex & was told I'd have to put bigger valves in it to maintain velocity.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2007 18:42 #119923 by larrycavan
Jack wrote:

Interesting reading, thanks. With the head porting, agree that velocity not cfm flow is more important.
Sent the 84 GPZ head from my race bike to a well known cylinder head shop for a valve job and a "second opinion" It's got 42mm.in and 34mm. ex & was told I'd have to put bigger valves in it to maintain velocity.

That would be true only if CFM increased on a scale proportional to cross sectional area.

Velocity if a component of volume and cross section. If volume [CFM] is increased while maintaining the same cross sectional area, then velocity goes up. If CFM increases because of an increase in CSA then velocity can remain the same or even drop. Just depends on the balance of volume and area as to which happens.

In any event, it's not going to mean diddly to most people. All they want to know is the bike went quicker/faster...

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2007 18:47 #119928 by wireman
larrycavan wrote:

Jack wrote:

That would be true only if CFM increased on a scale proportional to cross sectional area.

Velocity if a component of volume and cross section. If volume [CFM] is increased while maintaining the same cross sectional area, then velocity goes up. If CFM increases because of an increase in CSA then velocity can remain the same or even drop. Just depends on the balance of volume and area as to which happens.

In any event, it's not going to mean diddly to most people. All they want to know is the bike went quicker/faster...

:ohmy: wow,that went right over my head!:P