• Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
06 Mar 2007 09:09 #117719 by pstrbrc
I'm feeling happy/stupid was created by pstrbrc
Ya ever have one of those days?
The bike is going together :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
I'm buttoning up the engine. I took it all the way apart , mostly 'cause it's fun to do, but also because I had a vague memory from 17 years ago when I parked it of sounds that others had had diagnosed as cam chain stretch. So, I put in a new cam chain (no significant difference in length from the old one, so either Jeff sold me a pre-stretched one, or I didn't really need it), played with all the pieces/parts (isn't machinery COOL?), got the crankcase bolted together, and grabbed the oil pan.
Hmmm...
There appear to be 2 locating pins, one at the front and one at the back, that I seem to have misplaced. (DOH!!!) However, Kaw.com doesn't show them in the parts drawing. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Anybody know where I get new ones? Anybody wanna come and clean my garage?:blink:

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
06 Mar 2007 09:13 #117722 by kano
Replied by kano on topic I'm feeling happy/stupid
what motor?
i have a spare sump ill see if it has the pins still in it.
if its a 81 gpz the one in sig you may be in luck
ill wander out in a few for a smoke take a look for you bro...

Post edited by: kano, at: 2007/03/06 12:16

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
06 Mar 2007 09:38 #117737 by kano
Replied by kano on topic I'm feeling happy/stupid
no pins in my spare sump sorry dude...

• pstrbrc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
06 Mar 2007 10:08 #117747 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic Thanks, Kano. Now, anybody else?????
I appreciate you checking!
OK, anybody else who has a J-motor apart, do I just have a couple of holes that the engineers had machined in and then realized they really didn't need the locating pins for, or do I really need pins? Where do I get them? Please help before I start whimpering!:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
06 Mar 2007 10:16 #117750 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic I'm feeling happy/stupid
They aren't by chance stuck in the bottom of the engine case, are they?

Can you post a picture of the pan, for the imagination-impaired?

:lol:

• pstrbrc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
06 Mar 2007 11:02 #117764 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic I'm feeling happy/stupid
JEEEZZZZ!!!
Sure, make me go take pictures, so when I'm drawing the little red arrows on them so those of you who are imagination-impaired can see what is so obvious to me (whew. let me get another breath) I notice that I'M A KNUCKLEHEAD.
:pinch:
OK. here's two pictures, one of the crankcase, one of the pan.

Clearly, there can't be guidpins, 'cause there's no bore for them in the pan. So, what're they there for? I think the rear one is an oil drain passage, baybe from the breather, not sure. But the front one has me puzzled. The boss through which the pan bolt comes is extra-large, as if they wanted to block it off. Then why is it there?
Oh, by the way, here's my garage.

This is what it looks like when it's clean. Ain't ADD fun?:woohoo: :silly: :blink: :blush:

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA

More
06 Mar 2007 11:23 #117772 by KaZooCruiser
B) I guess you figured out why Kaw.com doesn't show them in the parts drawings. If you're a knucklehead, maybe you shoulda been looking at the Harley websites for parts.

Glad to know I helped solve another one of life's mysteries.

:laugh:

I might be willing to help you clean out the garage if I can KEEP everything I can load into my truck.
You have any other valuables you wanna give away? Like a daughter? I know an eligible bachelor personally. . . pretty helpful fella. . .rides a motorcycle. . .let me know if I, er, he can be of any other help.

:woohoo:

Post edited by: KaZooCruiser, at: 2007/03/06 14:51

More
06 Mar 2007 12:50 #117803 by 893cv
Replied by 893cv on topic I'm feeling happy/stupid
What does the pan gasket look like? I have a spair J motor ($25.00 on ebay) and there were no pins in the locations you are showing.

Ride Well,
Jon

1980 kz1000 LTD
1978 Z1R

More
06 Mar 2007 13:52 #117818 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic I'm feeling happy/stupid
I think my bike had a couple of those also. If I remember one needed a longer pan bolt, the other was just blind, on the pan, but no studs.
I'll see your messy garage :)

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades
Attachments:

More
06 Mar 2007 14:28 #117825 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic I'm feeling happy/stupid
Many of the engine covers have the same dowels. The KZ900A4 parts diagram doesn't show the Dowel Pins for the oil pan but all the other pins are shown on the Crankcase/Breather Cover diagram.

The KZ900A4 parts diagram shows the pins called PIN-DOWEL P/N 92042-007 under the Crankcase/Breather Cover parts diagram.

You might try www.z1enterprises.com with this part number. Bikebandit.com shows this part at $3.33 each and I suspect Z1 Enterprises.com will beat that price. You might want to pull one of the Dowel Pins out of another engine cover and make sure they are the same. They have them in the stator cover, kicker cover, clutch cover, etc... Try and pull one that will cooperate when you pull it with your fingers. They are easy to damage when you put the vise grips on them.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• pstrbrc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
06 Mar 2007 14:34 #117826 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic I'm feeling happy/stupid
KaZooCruiser wrote:

B) I guess you figured out why Kaw.com doesn't show them in the parts drawings. If you're a knucklehead, maybe you shoulda been looking at the Harley websites for parts.

Glad to know I helped solve another one of life's mysteries.

:laugh:

Even a blind pig finds an acorn every now and then!:P

I might be willing to help you clean out the garage if I can KEEP everything I can load into my truck.
You have any other valuables you wanna give away? Like a daughter?

Hmmmm... Upstanding young man, hard worker, serious and responsible...
Oh, no! Goes by childish name, rides motercycle, wastes time surfing the web...
Man, I'm sorry. fresh out of daughters. I've got a couple of cats you can have...

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA

More
06 Mar 2007 15:14 #117839 by KaZooCruiser
pstrbrc wrote:

. ..Hmmmm... Upstanding young man, hard worker, serious and responsible...

yeppie yep, that's me, err, him. ..

Oh, no! Goes by childish name, rides motercycle, wastes time surfing the web...

:pinch: ow

sigh. . .Who ever would suspect a guy with a silly name like "Batman" might actually be a wealthy, debonair, inventive, creative and generally pretty good guy in real life, when he isn't using the pseudonym?

I kind of thought the other things might be plusses too, since her pappy does the same thing, when he isn't fixing a long slumbering project.

Man, I'm sorry. fresh out of daughters. I've got a couple of cats you can have...