Engine removal

More
04 Dec 2005 14:26 #11760 by henrymski
Engine removal was created by henrymski
I know this was covered on the old forum, but I'll ask again anyway (for those who've come late to the party).

I am about to remove the engine from my 1000 and I am doing it by myself. I've read that if I lay it on it's side, I can pull the frame off of it. My questions are:

Which side do I lay it over on?

Should I remove the head or anything to lighten it up?

TIA.
H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2005 14:56 #11767 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Engine removal
The answer is that it depends on what you are trying to do... If you are planning on working on the top end, it makes a lot of sense to take the top end off. Then all you need to do is remove motor mounts and you can use a transmission jack to push upwards just a tad on the engine and remove it. If you are not looking at disassembling the engine, then you can lay the bike on its right side as you sit on it, remove mount bolts and lift the frame off. The engine without the top end is not all that heavy and can be managed by one person if you are fairly strong... the assembled engine needs two folks to lift as it is bulky and will weigh about 230 lbs.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
04 Dec 2005 14:56 #11768 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Engine removal
Do the 1000's engine mounts look like the 650s? Where the right side mounts have triangular plates that have 3 mounting points, and remove completely. The left side mounting points are welded onto the frame. So I think you'd need to lay it on the right side to allow the engine to be removed from the right.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
05 Dec 2005 15:30 #11919 by DanOz7Five0
Replied by DanOz7Five0 on topic Engine removal
I have been having good luck removing 650s by removing the head first, then pulling the engine mounts and then using a small hydraulic jack to give the engine a lift and then muscling it out myself on the right side. Im not a big guy and Ive pulled my back a few times and its never been from pulling a motor out.

Hope that helps or at least isnt too far off topic.

More
05 Dec 2005 19:55 #11941 by 900cows
Replied by 900cows on topic Engine removal
I have a two ton floor jack, I have a square metal plate welded to an extra support head with two three quarter inch rods welded to the plate. with every thing striped and ready to go, i install studs in the exhust side,(top,all straight across). Then i install some intake studs. Be sure to bottom the studs, more support!!! Roll the jack up to the bike from the side, the welded rods can rest and lift the engine from under the studs. jack intill the needed hieght. pull engine assembly slowly out. time and time again...The trans weight will want to pull the engine down on intake side tho. faburcate square tubing under three quarter inch rod to compensate. basic,leverage.

More
07 Dec 2005 06:49 #12149 by henrymski
Replied by henrymski on topic Engine removal
900cows wrote:

I have a two ton floor jack, I have a square metal plate welded to an extra support head with two three quarter inch rods welded to the plate. with every thing striped and ready to go, i install studs in the exhust side,(top,all straight across). Then i install some intake studs. Be sure to bottom the studs, more support!!! Roll the jack up to the bike from the side, the welded rods can rest and lift the engine from under the studs. jack intill the needed hieght. pull engine assembly slowly out. time and time again...The trans weight will want to pull the engine down on intake side tho. faburcate square tubing under three quarter inch rod to compensate. basic,leverage.

If only I had a floor jack...or a welder...:( :(

• dgfischer
  • Visitor
07 Dec 2005 07:25 #12153 by dgfischer
Replied by dgfischer on topic Engine removal
Any thing you can remove to make it lighter would help. I usually lay the bike on the side and have a plastic milk crate to support the engine. A friend would help when you go to remove the frame from around the engine.
Daniel

More
07 Dec 2005 14:13 #12213 by Garn
Replied by Garn on topic Engine removal
Phil, I started off thinking the best method would be laying the frame over. I was wrong, the best method by far, is the two pieces of water pipe amd the special brackets (easily made). You can do it by yourself. Make sure your pipes are long enough![img size=150]

Post edited by: Garn, at: 2005/12/07 17:18

1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia
Attachments:

More
07 Dec 2005 14:30 #12215 by lotsofink
Replied by lotsofink on topic Engine removal
Henry,no worries Bro.Me and Kid will come over and help you so you don't have to lay her over on her side.If you are not planning on head removal for rebuild,jsut leave it on and drain oil and remove oil pan.That way she will come right out.Let me know when.This weekend works for me if it works for you.Won't take us long at all.
Ink

More
07 Dec 2005 14:49 #12216 by Garn
Still try for a photo!........ RegardZ

Post edited by: Garn, at: 2005/12/07 17:52

Sydney Australia
Attachments:

More
07 Dec 2005 16:15 #12222 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Engine removal
I like the idea Garn had but you still have to lift the engine out of the frame. I got the engine out of my 1000 by myself. I took the head and cylinders off to shed weight. I used some ratchet straps for something to hold onto and I stuck a long rod thru the engine mount holes for some leverage. It was a bear but I did it. LIFT WITH THE LEGS. And please do not mess yourself like another member did while attempting this job.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
07 Dec 2005 21:20 #12269 by Garn
Kawtoy, with reference to the picture above. You make sure that the pipes (1" water) are long enough and the saw-horses are holding the engine high (wheels nearly off the ground), you then drag/lift the frame along and away from the engine.

You then have the engine hanging on the pipes and the frame to the LHS, with the water pipes not allowing it to be separated. You then support the engine by blocks or jack and move/drag the frame away by temporarily removing the LHS supporting saw-horse. Regardz.

Sydney Australia