exhaust wire wrap

More
04 Mar 2007 08:19 #117249 by KZbilly
exhaust wire wrap was created by KZbilly
I am looking to find out any info on wraping the fiberglass tape on my exhaust. I have seen people wrap the exhaust and then go back over it with wire and make a fishnet stocking look with the wire. Does anyone know how to do this? I really like the look of that over the hose clamps I seem to see everyone else with. thanks for any help. billyp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2007 08:22 #117250 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic exhaust wire wrap
Ummm, that is a good look.
Attachments:

More
04 Mar 2007 08:32 #117253 by KZbilly
Replied by KZbilly on topic exhaust wire wrap
that is nice but not exactly what I am looking for. but thanks. has anyone else seen this on an exhaust or am I crazy.

More
04 Mar 2007 18:39 #117350 by cottoncandyninja
Replied by cottoncandyninja on topic exhaust wire wrap
crazy! im out

More
04 Mar 2007 20:32 #117377 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic exhaust wire wrap
I havent seen anything like that, the wrap on my uncles 548 drag motor just has a piece of wire at each end, it kinda blends in and isnt very noticable. I would make sure the wire wont rust if you make any sort of pattern

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
04 Mar 2007 21:59 #117392 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic exhaust wire wrap
Why not try some chainmail, the fine linked metal chain that butchers use for gloves when cutting meat. If I recall the gang at OCC put some on the pipes of one of their recent bikes.

The stuff can handle shark bites and cutting and will probably change to a real funky color when heated. Personally, I find taped exhaust wraps look like the stretchy bandages you put on a sprained ankle. Just my 2 cents worth.

Simply google chainmail and this might get you started.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

More
04 Mar 2007 22:04 #117393 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic exhaust wire wrap
reborn650 wrote:

I find taped exhaust wraps look like the stretchy bandages you put on a sprained ankle.

have you seen the black stuff? I think some of it has a red stripe in it too, looks sharp when its wrapped properly

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
04 Mar 2007 22:33 #117396 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic exhaust wire wrap
I dont think its good idea on the street.
If you are going to do it anyway....
You better have a stainless ex. system.
The stuff goes on wet and picks up any water you get around .
Can you say rotted pipes in 1 summer ?
Its NOT fiberglas.
And the wire is just safetywire.

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
05 Mar 2007 08:44 #117436 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic exhaust wire wrap
It will not rust your pipes any worse than being uncovered. Your pipes get hot enough to burn off any water that gets on the wrap. I have had mine wrapped for a few years with no problems. No more sanding and repainting the ugly pipes and it also keeps the heat off my oil cooler. I plan wo do it on a few more of my bikes soon.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
05 Mar 2007 08:54 #117437 by barney
Replied by barney on topic exhaust wire wrap
I had this stuff wrapped around the headers on my 1970 Chevelles. It does retain moisture and rust out the pipes. My $700 Hooker headers are trash because of this stuff. I will never use it again or recommend anyone use it either. Just my opinion.

Post edited by: barney, at: 2007/03/05 11:55

• wireman
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2007 12:27 #117486 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic exhaust wire wrap
barney wrote:

I had this stuff wrapped around the headers on my 1970 Chevelles. It does retain moisture and rust out the pipes. My $700 Hooker headers are trash because of this stuff. I will never use it again or recommend anyone use it either. Just my opinion.<br><br>Post edited by: barney, at: 2007/03/05 11:55

ditto;)

More
06 Mar 2007 11:59 #117783 by KZbilly
Replied by KZbilly on topic exhaust wire wrap
thanks for all the coments. I don't really care much about the rust thing I am building a rat bike. I personaly like the look of the tape (even if it's not fiberglass). I don't much give a rats behind to what other people think about what I like or what I am doing. Rember ZAPPA, do what you want, do what you will just don't mess up your nieghbors thrill. I was really just asking if anyone new how to do the wire wrapping. I think I have figured it out on my own. I have some stainless wire I am going to do a fishnet pattern with, that on black tape will be tit. I will take some pics once it is done and the process. And as far as the water thing I don't plan on riding this one in the rain much. I have a honda super magna that is better in the rain anyway. I do want to thank all you guys though I can't get over how much info is on this site. I love the internet.