Compression Check

More
03 Mar 2007 09:51 #116976 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Compression Check
Patton, Keep in mind that Kaw wrote those manuals when these bikes were new... they don't take into account 30 year old antique bike characteristics. The 90-95 PSI readings will come up as the rings loosen up. I say this from a bit of experience... The 100 PSI service level provides adequate performance and realistically, most compression readings for old KZs that run decently are 115-125 PSI. The 160 plus compression wasn't on a stock KZ 903/1015... perhaps after a valve job, with new guides and a higher compression, aftermarket piston kit... but not with stock 8:1 compression ART pistons, even with new rings... that will get you a bit over 125 psi. The J motors have a bit more compression and I am only talking about the 903/1015cc...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2007 10:32 #116988 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Compression Check
wiredgeorge wrote:

Patton, Keep in mind that Kaw wrote those manuals when these bikes were new... they don't take into account 30 year old antique bike characteristics. The 90-95 PSI readings will come up as the rings loosen up. I say this from a bit of experience... The 100 PSI service level provides adequate performance and realistically, most compression readings for old KZs that run decently are 115-125 PSI. The 160 plus compression wasn't on a stock KZ 903/1015... perhaps after a valve job, with new guides and a higher compression, aftermarket piston kit... but not with stock 8:1 compression ART pistons, even with new rings... that will get you a bit over 125 psi. The J motors have a bit more compression and I am only talking about the 903/1015cc...

Thanks, WG. I concur. Believe FSM numbers are utopian figures in a perfect world. But gives me a goal to shoot for -- and miss. :P

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.