starting a bike that's been sitting

More
25 Feb 2007 13:28 #115302 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic starting a bike that's been sitting
tranny fluid works great unsticking valves on old trucks.....:whistle: :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2007 13:39 - 26 Aug 2009 11:18 #115305 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic starting a bike that's been sitting

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2009 11:18 by KZ250LTD.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
25 Feb 2007 14:01 #115317 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic starting a bike that's been sitting
pstrbrc wrote:

RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

Bug spray works in a pinch as a starting fluid, but I wouldn't recommend using to much of it! :pinch:

Anyone ever use WD-40 as a "starting fluid"?

AAAAARRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!:pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:
Look. Anything flammable can "work". But what damage are you risking to the internals of the motor? Is it harder to scrounge a can of carb cleaner, (which is sold at just about every convenience store!!) even if it's not right at hand, or tear down the top end to repair the damage?
Doggone it! PAY ATTENTION!! Whatever benefit there is in using the closest thing at hand DOES NOT make up for the damage done. And the damage done might not be obvious right away, but it could shorten the life of your bike considerably.

Wow, guess I should have pasted a disclaimer with the bug spray statement! :S :pinch:

I was in no way recommending or endorsing using bug spray, just making the statement that almost anything flammable will aid in starting an engine.
Bug spray happened to be the first thing that popped into my noggin from a past experience in my youth in starting a go-cart.
And yes, it did start and ran fine for several summers after that.
My father wasn't very mechanically inclined, so most things I've learned over the years have pretty much been on my own. So please forgive the ocassional neandertholic methods I've used, as they are not of the norm nor recommended.

As far as using ether to re-seat the bead on a truck tire, this is a trick that has been used probably longer than I've been alive, so I'm not laying claim to having invented it.
Ether works fine here if used in moderation....if it doesn't work the first try, then and only then use a little bit more until it will re-seat.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• pstrbrc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
25 Feb 2007 19:44 #115411 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic starting a bike that's been sitting
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:
Wow, guess I should have pasted a disclaimer with the bug spray statement! :S :pinch:

[/quote]

LOL!! Whoops! Maybe I overreacted! :blush: Actually, I wasn't nearly in so much pain about the bug spray as the WD-40. And I don't care what anybody does to tires, 'cause they're expendable, and easy to change (at least compared to engine internals). And please understand that I have almost a love for machinery, and I tend to overreact when machinery gets abused. :unsure: I think I need to form the machine-rights group
People for the
Ethical
Treatment of
Machines.

:huh:
Boy, I sound weird, don't I!!!!
So, 4R, truce. Sorry. :)

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

• pstrbrc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
25 Feb 2007 19:58 #115414 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic starting a bike that's been sitting
wireman wrote:

ive always liked the old carb and tranny fluid down the plug holes trick on motors that have been sitting a while it helps loosen up gummed up rings and gets a little lubrication to things then try turning motor over without plugs to make sure nothing goes clunk inside.unless the oil is really nasty or watered down with gas id try and get the motor warmed up 1st to help flush all the trash out of it then drain it;)im no engineering genius though,just someone with a little real world experiance:P<br><br>Post edited by: wireman, at: 2007/02/25 13:43

I agree with t-fluid down the plug holes and hand-turning several times to lube the rings and cylinder walls. In fact, remembering that the t-fluid really needs to get past the compression rings and down to the oil ring, I emphasise SEVERAL times.
Now, having looked inside a lot of motors after we deliberately tried to fail them, I'm a firm believer in sacrificing oil instead of engine parts. If an engine has been sitting, I'm not capable of judging the condition of the contents of the crankcase until I get them out of the crankcase. So, if an engine has been sitting for an undeterminate time, I'll drain the oil first, pour a quart of fresh oil through the engine, then replace the plug and put in fresh. Then I'll change it again when I get it home.
Guys have told me that they didn't do all that and they got years of use out of an engine, and my response is always, "yeah, but how much more would you have gotten out of it if you had?"
From what I have seen, the answer is surprising.

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx