Holy sprocket nut Batman!

More
20 Feb 2007 16:40 #113967 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Holy sprocket nut Batman!
BSKZ650 wrote:

...kind of ironic, the locking washer on mine died and the nut fell off while riding, was not fun at all

ummm, Riverroad, you DID flatten the locking washer down, didn't you? :lol:

You might try sticking a bar or pipe between the shocks and one of the spokes if you have a mag wheel, putting the bike into first and rolling it forward until the bar locks to keep the output shaft from moving while you lever against it. A 5/16" drill bit seems a liitle under what might be needed. The breaker bar should really be enough. . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
21 Feb 2007 04:36 #114059 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Holy sprocket nut Batman!
:laugh: Yes, I did flatten the washer.
Well yesterday I went by Harbor Freight to get me that impact wrench. They didn't have the one I wanted (above), and I ended up getting the lesser 250 ft/lb model. That was a waste. I stuck it on that nut, hit the reverse button and pulled the trigger. That nut just sat there and laughed at me. Oh well, it's true. Ya get what ya pay for.
So I did some cussing and rootin' around the garage and finally found my cheater pipe. Stuck a piece of 5/16" drill bit shank through the chain and let it wedge up against the block casting. Stuck the 1 1/16" socket and breaker bar with pipe on there and started pulling. Real hard! The breaker bar was bending so much it was popping chrome off of it.
Something gave with a very loud snap, and for a second there I really WAS worried I broke the output shaft, but when I looked, it was the nut that finally came loose.
Hallelujah!! Man! They really torque them suckers on there don't they! I hadn't run across a nut that tight since I worked in a naval shipyard!
So now, with the weather getting a little better, I should be able to clean up and paint the rear section of the frame and swingarm, put the chain and sprockets on and get it back on the road.
Thanks guys! Now I gotta go chase around all the "loose nuts" at work.:side:

More
21 Feb 2007 05:07 #114063 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Holy sprocket nut Batman!
Nut is a 20mm nut with 27mm outside size. The pitch is 1.5 I think. A NORMAL 20mm nut generally has a 30mm outside size so if you buy a replacement, it will likely be larger and require a 30mm socket. The main problem with most replacement nuts is that they will be too thick but Maryland Metrics does have a thin 20mm that will work fine. The only issue is the mechanical lock washer that goes under the nut and there isn't as much sticking out making it harder to bend over the edge but it can be done.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
21 Feb 2007 05:37 #114076 by riverroad
So, do you think I should use a new nut? I checked this one (and the shaft) over and it all looks good. No damaged threads that I can see. Smooth glide on the assembly.
I was planning on using it again, and just bending up a new section of the washer.

More
21 Feb 2007 05:54 #114084 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Holy sprocket nut Batman!
after the mess on the side of the road, and the washer was only like two bucks, I ordered a spare, any time I am going to be taking off the nut I am putting a new washer on

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
21 Feb 2007 06:13 #114089 by riverroad
Sure seems like they could've give us just another half inch of shaft with a hole drilled through it, so they could put on a castellated nut and cotter pin.
Then sprockets flying off would be just about impossible.
Don't get me wrong. On the whole, it's a wonderfully designed piece of machinery.
But in this case, I think we got short shafted.:whistle:

More
21 Feb 2007 13:37 #114213 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Holy sprocket nut Batman!
I doubt the nut needs to be replaced if it is in good shape. The normal reason for replacement is that it is rounded off and someone took a chisel to it to split it or didn't change the front sprocket after rounding it off and just ignored it. One issue to consider is that many aftermarket countershaft sprockets will not have a hole drilled for sticking the tab on the washer into and thus the washer is a waste of time as far as its ability to provide a mechanical lock. I ALWAYS use red Loctite on those nuts.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/02/21 16:38

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
22 Feb 2007 04:45 #114362 by riverroad
Thanks George. Yeah I'm just going to use the original nut. And I plan on using some red Loktite along with the original washer. I'll torque it to virgin German girl specs (gootentite).

More
22 Feb 2007 09:42 #114422 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Holy sprocket nut Batman!
riverroad wrote:

And I plan on using some red Loktite along with the original washer.

The reason the original was so tight might have been because the torque windup from the countershaft output kept twisting the nut tighter. . .red loctite would probably prevent that in the future. Glad you got it fixed. :cheer:

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
22 Feb 2007 12:15 #114463 by riverroad
Yeah I figured it was either torque windup or a couple really big Japanese guys with a nine foot torque wrench.:lol: I'm definately not going to try and reproduce that much torque on the install.