Remove valve guides from 650?

More
16 Feb 2007 13:27 #112941 by drayman86
Remove valve guides from 650? was created by drayman86
Removing the valves and springs from the head with a C clamp and a vacuum switch socket worked great. Thanks KaZooCruiser and mountain for that cheap valve spring compression tool thread.

Question: is it necessary to remove the valve guides? I'd like to thoroughly clean the head, maybe even shine the outside with an abrasive blasting agent, but in order to do so I'd have to take out everything such as valve guides. The factory service manual instructs that the head needs to be heated to about 300F and the valve guide knocked out with a valve guide arbor. I'm kinda' nervous about pounding something out of the head and applying heat, although I could heat the thing to that temp in the oven.

Can anyone offer suggestions/methods for getting the valve guides out?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
16 Feb 2007 15:48 #112969 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Remove valve guides from 650?
Removing the guides is not required, only if they need to be replaced. When you get your valve springs out, put the valve in the guide and wiggle it back and forth. If they wiggle more than just a tiny bit, then they should be replaced.

If you have the equipment to measure the amount of wiggle, your service manual should list the tolerances.

When I did my top-end overhaul recently, I did not remove the guides. There was almost no wiggle, so I left them alone.

I also used a glass bead blast on the head exterior, combustion chambers, and exhaust ports, and it looks brand spankin new now. Just make sure you flush it well aftwards to remove all grit from the passages.

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2007/02/16 18:49

West Linn, OR

More
16 Feb 2007 16:53 #112992 by drayman86
Replied by drayman86 on topic Remove valve guides from 650?
Great. Thanks for the advice Skyman. The valve guides have very little to no "play" or wiggle, so I'll just leave well enough alone. The engine only has about 14000 original miles.

Glass bead blasting is great advice, as I'd like to have my bike look brand spankin' new, too. Dont' mean to seen paranoid, but what about the fate of the valve guide oil seals during the blasting process? Could they be degraded? Can the valve guide oil seals be replaced without removing the guides themselves?

More
16 Feb 2007 17:20 #113000 by 1045
Replied by 1045 on topic Remove valve guides from 650?
The valve guide seals are removable, but not reusable..

Just pluck them off with a pair of needle nose pliers.

new seals are cheap, but get a few extra as they are easliy damaged while putting them back on the valve guides... Z1 enterprize has them..

I would not direct any blasting down in the holes where your guides, springs and buckets go.. probally best to plug the holes up..

• mountain
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
16 Feb 2007 17:56 #113005 by mountain
Replied by mountain on topic Remove valve guides from 650?
If I could chime in on glass bead blasting, can I get a setup myself to do this? I've got my engine on my work bench and lots of accessability to dull and aged looking engine exterior surfaces. I really want to clean the alluminum, but getting in amongst the fins is darn near imposible. I've been shoving small tight wads of steel wool in and moving it around with a small screwdriver, but this method is too time consuming. Some one mentioned "soda blasting" to me. Whatever works to get back to shiny new. What do I need? On the valve stems, I've been warned not to remove them unless they are way worn. Mine were tight at 30K, I'm doing my cylinder head and valves now, too.

1977 KZ 650 B1, I own two of them. Working on one custom rebuild, one daily rider. Used to have a third. Two 1978 KZ 650 C2 models, sold both. KZ owner since 1987.

More
16 Feb 2007 18:12 #113006 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Remove valve guides from 650?
You could get this one, it's on sale for $799 at TP Tools

(Requires 10-15 cfm air @ 80 psi.)

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/02/16 21:13

KD9JUR
Attachments:

More
16 Feb 2007 18:27 #113007 by drayman86
An usual, I'm learning a lot with this message board. :)

Thanks 1045. I'm pretty cautious about removing stuff from the engine if the removal of same is not really clear.

A buddy of mine has a table-top blasting cabinet with the associated equipment which I can likely use to run the glass beads through. Interesting information on glass beads here:

www.kramerindustriesonline.com/blasting-media/glass-beads.htm

• wireman
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2007 21:22 #113038 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Remove valve guides from 650?
plug your valve guides before you start glass beading the head,glass beads play hell on valve guides!;)

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
16 Feb 2007 22:56 #113054 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Remove valve guides from 650?
I used one of these from Harbor Freight Tools:

[img size=150]C:\Documents and Settings\sskyles\Desktop\SHOT0000.jpg[/img]

West Linn, OR
Attachments:

More
17 Feb 2007 04:33 #113065 by drayman86
Sure, Wireman, thanks for emphasizing plugging the valve guides. I had planned on doing just that in addition to being VERY careful about not directing the blast stream against sensitive surfaces such as gasket mating surfaces. :woohoo:

Yeah Skyman, I'm pretty sure that blast cabinet is the exact one my buddy has. Now I just need to find a source for the glass beads here in Lansing.

More
17 Feb 2007 05:03 #113067 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Remove valve guides from 650?
Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply both have glass beads in stock here locally, NAPA may stock them also, but I don't know for sure.

KD9JUR

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
17 Feb 2007 06:03 #113075 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Remove valve guides from 650?
If you remove the guides, you'll need professional tools to do a valve job. They are not cheap.

Just out of curiosity, I see a lot of posts here where guys are going 98% on overhauls but not going the extra 2%. It's a shame because that last 2% can yield your some of the best performance and insurance. That 2% being a valve job.

It's rare that I take a head apart and not find it to be in need of a better valve job.