Compression test

More
14 Feb 2007 05:14 #112245 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Compression test
JMK... spraying WD40 in the plug holes before cranking will provide misleading numbers. The WD40 will seal the rings if they are leaking. I use WD40 instead of a teaspoon of oil if I want to check compression using the "oil test" method. The WD40 is a good idea but should be sprayed down there a day before the test so it will wet the cylinders a bit but not seal the rings when you test the next day I guess.

KZErider, where is that town you come from? Alvarado? Never heard of it. If there is a KZRider member near, they can likely be of assistance.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2007 07:31 - 21 Feb 2013 21:18 #112282 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----
----
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 21:18 by H1Vindicator.

More
14 Feb 2007 08:26 #112300 by KZErider
Replied by KZErider on topic Compression test
The engine turns over freely. In fact I need to put the charger on it to keep it freed up, I guess.:unsure: Being such a novice at this, I guess I'm trying to get all the info I can so I'll follow the best sequence of checking everything out before I try to fire it up. Normally, I know, I would be farther along, but it's just been an unusually cold and wet winter for us. Nothing like what's going on up North, but it's plenty uncommon for this area.

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

More
14 Feb 2007 13:44 #112390 by mbsween
Replied by mbsween on topic Compression test
Should the throttle be wide open or closed during the cranking?

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
14 Feb 2007 14:13 #112400 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Compression test
mbsween wrote:

Should the throttle be wide open or closed during the cranking?

Wide Open

West Linn, OR

More
14 Feb 2007 14:13 #112401 by KZErider
Alvarado is just about 12 mi. south of Fort Worth on I35W. I'm actually out in an area that just uses the Avarado mailing address. A friend of my neighbor's showed up on a KZ750E looking and sounding just like mine wants to. If it weren't for my neighbor, I'd probably try to get together with this guy and trade info.

I missed this part of your post. Sorry about that.

81 KZ750E2(project), 81 KZ750E2(parts donor), 87 BMW K 75C - got it runnin, didn't care for it, holding for family member, 79 CB650(project) Nomad 1700, VStar 950

More
14 Feb 2007 14:21 #112403 by KZErider
Me again, wiredgeorge, I plan on bringing my bike down there to you after I get the prelims done so you can fine tune it. There's a time share down in New Braunfels my wife and I want spend a weekend at so I'll try to get it all to tie in together. I'll let you know when it gets closer to the time we can make it. Hope that's alright.

More
15 Feb 2007 05:07 #112529 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Compression test
Drop me a note offline when you plan on coming down. I do about a dozen bikes a year. You can find my contact info through my website www.wgcarbs.com - I wasn't aware of a timeshare in New Braunfels... which one is it? We own a timeshare in western Virginia at a four seasons resort called Massanutten (spelling most likely wrong). We go there on Thanksgiving week most years. My middle daughter, her hubby and two kiddos live in that area. I understand about the mailing address. We have a Mico mailing address and a street address at that. The address only means that we are within a zip code area. We don't live in Mico. Our mail carrier that does our zip code drives 100 miles a day on her route and everyone has a Mico street address. The street address came about so that the volunteer fire department could find folks as the RR#1 (rural route) address didn't tell them where folks lived very well in a spread out area.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
15 Feb 2007 06:18 #112549 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Compression test
HF unit will not fit 12mm and they do not sell an adapter.

Does anyone know where to find an adapter for 14mm to 12mm?

Watch your compression gages. The Schrader valve will get propped open with carbon. You might think, 'bad valve' in the engine sense when it's a bad gage valve ;-)

More
19 Feb 2007 17:35 #113678 by KZErider
One more question before I get a gauge. What size thread do I want to end up with if I decide to get the screw in type - KZ750E-?