Special tools

More
12 Feb 2007 19:30 #111978 by drayman86
Special tools was created by drayman86
Now that I've got my 650 completely removed from the frame, I'm reading ahead in the service manual and noticing several special tools needed to deal with the valve spring, clutch, flywheel, etc.

Is there such a thing as a recommended set of special tools? Can they be rented from an auto parts store?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2007 02:15 #112008 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Special tools
Alas, not available for rent...but if you find another kz-dweeb in your area, sometimes you can borrow tools. That is one of the reasons we are 'net-working' on this site. I have some of the special tools and I have lent the valve-spring compression tool to another Houston area member.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
22 Aug 2007 20:39 #165766 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic Special tools
I need to hold my rotor while torquing the rotor bolt. Any ideas on how to hold the crank? Anyone have a tool for sale/rent? The picture below is the factory tool and I have never seen one for sale. Thanks

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250
Attachments:

More
22 Aug 2007 21:33 #165778 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Special tools
I betcha that if You were to clean that rotor off real good,You could use a "Boa-Constrictor"...it's a rubber strap with a handle that allows You to get a grip on things like that.

1977 KZ1000 A-1
Attachments:

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
22 Aug 2007 21:42 #165782 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Special tools
When i played paintball some marker(marker = paintball gun) owners groups would put together a kit ok all the special tools needed to fine tune there type of marker. They set it up so you would sign up on a list to recieve the tools, when you were done you mailed them to the next person on the list.

All it cost you to rent the tools was the cost of postage to the nexy guy on the list; and it helped people set up their gear just right.

Just a thought...

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
22 Aug 2007 22:46 #165790 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Special tools
drayman86 wrote:

Now that I've got my 650 completely removed from the frame, I'm reading ahead in the service manual and noticing several special tools needed to deal with the valve spring, clutch, flywheel, etc.

Is there such a thing as a recommended set of special tools? Can they be rented from an auto parts store?

Thanks.

Try asking a local bike shop if you can rent the tools. Offer them up a CC number as a form of deposit if they tell you no. I did once and they hooked me up.

Just a question .. you planning on taking apart your bottom end?? If not then I don't think you will need 2 of those tools (clutch/flywheel). You can change your clutch plates without removing the basket and I think the tool is for the basket, but I never owned a 650 so i could be off base on that. There is a trick to taking valves out without a compressor, but you still need it to put them back in. You can buy one off Z1Enterprises. I actually made one with an old socket I cut up with a dremel tool and welded to a big ole' cheap C-clamp.

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
25 Dec 2007 10:56 #186357 by Robthemanager
Replied by Robthemanager on topic Special tools
Just spent two weeks trying to get the flywheel/stator off my Z750 engine. Tried two shop bought pullers and a home fabricated special and read every post on this and two other forums. I was interested in talk of using the axle to pull it off...Oh yes thats the one! I bought a single 5kg weight (the kind that go on dumb bells for weight training) from our local supermarket. Slid the weight onto the axle and tightened the axle onto the flywheel as tight as I dare. One hard clunk and off the thing came... what a treat! A home made slide hammer made for the job.

My next project is fabricating a few gaskets from a 1000mm x 500mm sheet (less than $5 on E-Bay). The cheapest full set I could get here in the UK was close to $100 and importing from the States has recently become very expensive.

More
25 Dec 2007 13:26 #186367 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Special tools
Most of the "Special" tools can be made at home using ordinary hand tools that most already possess. It takes me two minutes to pull all the valves out of a KZ750 four cylinder head using a bench valve spring compressor made out of parts from the scrap pile.

I'm currently working on building a motorcycle post lift that clamps on the bottom frame rails and will raise the frame to any height between 1"-40" off the floor (to build the bike from a bare frame to complete), and a engine stand/hoist that will allow me to easily remove/install the motor in the frame by myself.
Going to have to get some metal from the scrap yard for these two though :)

The fact that I have a machine shop in my garage/shop makes it a little easier :D

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/12/25 16:32

KD9JUR

More
25 Dec 2007 21:14 #186396 by tubbytwo
Replied by tubbytwo on topic Special tools
79MKII wrote:

I need to hold my rotor while torquing the rotor bolt. Any ideas on how to hold the crank?

You are going to need a hefty "strap wrench" to hold the rotor.

Clymer pg.219 "Torque the rotor bolt to 95 ft.lb. After tightening the bolt, loosen and retorque it to make sure all parts are seated properly"

I used an impact wrench and assumed I had it tight (100psi) and it came loose. I will fabricate a spanner and use a torque wrench this time.

A flywheel turner might work, try Pep Boys.

Post edited by: tubbytwo, at: 2007/12/26 00:33

More
25 Dec 2007 23:54 #186405 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Special tools
For a valve spring compressor you can take a big spark plug socket, cut a hole in it and use a big c clamp or one of those wood clamps that has a squeeze grip thinggy.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
26 Dec 2007 06:10 #186416 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Special tools
I wish I could find the pic I saw on here for holding the rotor still on the end of the crank.
They had a BIG combonation wrench, one end on the foot peg bolt and the open end had one of its points in the divot on the rotor.
The wrench holds the rotor still while you loosen the bolt.
We did that on kzl6060's engine and it worked great!

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
26 Dec 2007 06:25 #186417 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Special tools
The best thing from which to fab a valve spring compressor adapter is an old bucket as this adapter must fit over the valve retainer where the bucket goes. It will have an opening from where you can fish out the split keeper (collets) once the springs are compessed. A large 9" C clamp is the best tool for compressing the adapter but you will need to weld a nut or something on one end because the clamp can not reach around and hold the valve otherwise.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments: