running straight headers??

• wireman
  • Visitor
14 Feb 2007 04:24 #112232 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic running straight headers??
GPzephyr wrote:

Excuse me for sounding stupid.;) But why would low back-pressure burn your valves?
I was always brought up on lower is better.

cold air does bad things to hot exhuast valves,used to do that when i was young and dumb before i knew back pressure was a good thing on street motor!:whistle: :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2007 05:14 #112244 by steell
Replied by steell on topic running straight headers??
GPzephyr wrote:

Excuse me for sounding stupid.;) But why would low back-pressure burn your valves?

If the pipes are long enough, then it won't.
It normally happens when running either no pipes or very short ones, what happens is the valves get really hot and when you shut it off cold air gets to the valves and causes them to warp. When the valve warps it no longer seals against the seat and exhaust escapes during combustion. I have seen notches cut into a valve due to the plasma cutting effect of escaping combustion gases.

KD9JUR

More
14 Feb 2007 17:03 #112436 by tnutz
Replied by tnutz on topic running straight headers??
So it's not to bad with a long piece of straight pipe in there? i am already jetted for a header and Free flow muffler. i still want one for beach days, but wanna keep it quiet in the city. I really want it on the 1100, but with the efi i have no way to compensate for it.

Post edited by: tnutz, at: 2007/02/14 20:08

More
14 Feb 2007 22:38 #112507 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic running straight headers??
tnutz wrote:

So it's not to bad with a long piece of straight pipe in there? i am already jetted for a header and Free flow muffler. i still want one for beach days, but wanna keep it quiet in the city. I really want it on the 1100, but with the efi i have no way to compensate for it.<br><br>Post edited by: tnutz, at: 2007/02/14 20:08

any way to hook up a power commander or yosh box? or better yet just go mega(or micro) squirt

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
14 Feb 2007 22:43 #112508 by steell
Have to switch to later model throttle bodies or adapt a TPS to the original ones, hard to believe but the early model throttle bodies basically had an on/off switch instead of a TPS. I didn't believe it myself when it was first posted here so I checked a set I have, and it's true.

KD9JUR

More
14 Feb 2007 23:00 #112514 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic running straight headers??
i always though it was the super hot exhaust gases being blown through the valves too fast due to it being too free flowing, kinda like a plasma cutter, or a cutting torch.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
15 Feb 2007 07:15 #112562 by steell
themachine wrote:

i always though it was the super hot exhaust gases being blown through the valves too fast due to it being too free flowing, kinda like a plasma cutter, or a cutting torch.

Nope, that's the purpose of porting isn't it, to get the exhaust gases out faster? :)
The exhaust valve and port size/shape limit the speed of the exhaust gases, just like on the intake side.

It takes time to transfer heat, the less time the valve is exposed to exhaust flow the cooler it runs.

KD9JUR

More
16 Feb 2007 14:25 #112951 by GPzephyr
Replied by GPzephyr on topic running straight headers??
steell wrote:

GPzephyr wrote:

If the pipes are long enough, then it won't.
It normally happens when running either no pipes or very short ones, what happens is the valves get really hot and when you shut it off cold air gets to the valves and causes them to warp. When the valve warps it no longer seals against the seat and exhaust escapes during combustion. I have seen notches cut into a valve due to the plasma cutting effect of escaping combustion gases.

Yup! that makes sense. Especially regarding no or very short pipes.
So the length of a typical street system isn't likely to suffer from this, regardless of how low the backpressure is. The cold air simply isn't going to be able travel up the pipes to the valve. Disregarding the noise factor of course.:blink:

1991, Zephyr 750. GPz750 turbo engine, 810cc, Garrett T25 turbo, GPz1100 throttle bodies, 310cc injectors, Power commander, Dyna coils, Lots more as well...

KB Saturn fitted with a stock GPz750 turbo engine. Loads to do on this project.

More
17 Feb 2007 13:47 #113157 by Chris78LTD
Replied by Chris78LTD on topic running straight headers??
Why would you even want to think about not running pipes?

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
17 Feb 2007 16:36 #113177 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic running straight headers??
tnutz wrote:

So it's not to bad with a long piece of straight pipe in there? i am already jetted for a header and Free flow muffler. i still want one for beach days, but wanna keep it quiet in the city. I really want it on the 1100, but with the efi i have no way to compensate for it.<br><br>Post edited by: tnutz, at: 2007/02/14 20:08

Oh yes you can!...compensate with EFI that is..

The 81 had the older analog setup but you can still tune it to a degree, certainly enough to compensate for a pipe.

Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator will get the job done.

More
17 Feb 2007 17:19 #113187 by tnutz
how so!!!! tell me now!!!:laugh:

More
17 Feb 2007 17:22 #113190 by tnutz
oh... pleaseB)