• Page:

TOPIC:

Stove Prairie School and Horsetooth Reservoir 16 Apr 2016 11:30 #721225

• Irish-Kawi
  • Irish-Kawi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 37
Hey KZR,

This past Thursday, 4/14/16, Pops and I were able to get in a absolutely brilliant ride! Started off in Johnstown, CO at 11am riding away heading west into the Loveland and Fort Collins, CO area. Went the back way into the foothills in front of Carter Lake and connected to US Hwy 34 for a short time until we turned North and headed into Masonville which is a local small town biker spot with leather shops and some restaurants. At that point we turned west and headed up into the hills and started climbing until we made it to one of the oldest continuously running schools in Colorado, Stove Prairie at over 7000 ft elevation, which was founded and started operating in 1896 as an elementary school and still is in use as an elementary school today! In fact, school was in session when we drove by it on Thursday hahaha.

From there we continued to head north up/down Rist Canyon Rd and it was EMPTY!!! One of the absolute best technical stretches of road I have ever seen in Colorado and we had it completely to ourselves!!!! HOT DOGGIE :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Not only was the road completely devoid of any other motorists other than ourselves but there was lots less sh!t on the roads than I was expecting as well. Not to say that there were no hazards there, that would be a lie, but when we saw the sand, or dirt or gravel etc it wasn't mid-corner or anything like that and was easily avoided without severely impacting our lines throughout the turns. The road itself though, man oh man what a road! Rest Canyon Rd has everything an aggressive canyon carver would want, increasing radius turns, decreasing radius turns, blind turns, big fast high speed sweepers, banked corners, rises into tight hairpins and all sorts of other fantastic goodies! For someone like myself that is an aggressive rider by nature and someone who is trying to challenge themselves and improve their riding ability and body positioning it was just tits!

Anyways, once we ate up all of Rist Canyon Rd it dead ends into Poudre Canyon where we took a left and headed West up the canyon even further. A really gorgeous ride with spectacular scenery, gorgeous white water rivers and rapids, cliffs and craggy mountains and the sun shining like it just wouldn't quit :D Eventually though we hit some construction and decided to turn around and not deal with it. Went back down Poudre Canyon a few miles and pulled off on the side of the road at a campground location and broke for lunch. Had some slow roasted home made carnitas courtesy of Momma’s home cooking that Pops packed and some crackers, buffalo and venison jerky, cheese, tuna salad and starbucks doubleshot to wake us back up. The weather and river and scenery were so outstanding that we decided to take a bit of extra time and have a shorter robust sized cigar. I lit of a La Aurora 1495 cameroon wrapper stick that was very very nice, while Pops has a Don Pepin’ Garcia blend robo too. Here are some pics of our scenery at lunch:

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Irish-Kawi.

Stove Prairie School and Horsetooth Reservoir 16 Apr 2016 11:31 #721226

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Continued......

Once those were done we geared back up and went back up the way we came and gave Rist Canyon Rd another go around and had a blast once again, though we did get stuck behind a school bus for a bit but eventually got around it. Once again got back up to Stove Prairie Elementary School and this time started to make our way out of the mountains and get back to home in the next hour or two. Here is a pic of County Road with our backs to Stove Prairie School about 75 feet behind us:

Headed East on North Country Road 27 which was about as treacherous as you could imagine. Unlike Rist Canyon Rd, this one was covered in loose sand, gravel and all sorts of other nastiness that made for a rather cheek tightening ride down haha! Much steeper grade and at the apex of every single turn was covered in sand and gravel and grit and all other sorts of dangers and even had the back tire kick out on me once or twice mid turn on a 7% grade that was a bit of a challenge to control. Luckily I was able to keep everything on the straight and narrow so nothing went sideways there, woot!

Once we were down that treacherous road it dropped us into the back side of Horsetooth Reservoir so we followed the road that went across the top of all of the bridges and dams along side of Horsetooth pulling off now and then to take a peek at the scenery and the reservoir.

That was just about the end of our ride, we went through Masonville again and in front of Carter Lake with some really nice rolling hills and high speed sweepers and I made my way back home to Longmont while Pops went back towards Johnstown area. Started at 11am and I arrived back at the house at 3:30pm…. it was a truly epic day, great ride and wouldn't have wanted to share it with anyone else but Pops ;)

I took a look at my rear tire when I got back home and saw just how far over the wear patterns were showing up and saw just how much progress I have been making with body positioning, lean angle and overall bike control and saw that the wear was nearly to the very edge of the sidewall!

So I guess I have finally been making some progress since I am now hanging off the bike mid-turn enough that I’m within a few inches of scraping the ground. Not going to be going any further though since I will either start bouncing off the foot pegs or grinding down my riding jeans lol. All the same a lot of fun and much better progress and unity with my bike Saya!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Stove Prairie School and Horsetooth Reservoir 16 Apr 2016 14:00 #721249

• ajsfirehawk
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 89
It was a fantastic day, Amazing to me things don't look as green or the rocks as bright red in the pics as they do in real life. Much like a coral reef, the pics don't do reality (or what ever our brains do to reality) justice. It was a special day.
79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1

Stove Prairie School and Horsetooth Reservoir 16 Apr 2016 15:19 #721261

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185

ajsfirehawk wrote: It was a fantastic day, Amazing to me things don't look as green or the rocks as bright red in the pics as they do in real life. Much like a coral reef, the pics don't do reality (or what ever our brains do to reality) justice. It was a special day.

You should've given the camera some SHROOMS, I remember back in the day shrooms made everything more colorful, B) :laugh: :laugh:
Pete
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

Stove Prairie School and Horsetooth Reservoir 16 Apr 2016 15:36 #721270

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
HAHAHAHAHAHA :laugh: :laugh:

Stove Prairie School and Horsetooth Reservoir 16 Apr 2016 18:30 #721306

• zukdave
  • User
  • Thank you received: 229
That tire's done.
1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

Stove Prairie School and Horsetooth Reservoir 16 Apr 2016 18:31 #721307

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
All the makings of an excellent day B)
Thanks for sharing
JD
78 KZ1000 A2A

Stove Prairie School and Horsetooth Reservoir 16 Apr 2016 19:07 #721312

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Thanks for sharing Irish, looks like you had a fantastic ride.
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

Stove Prairie School and Horsetooth Reservoir 16 Apr 2016 19:50 #721321

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
Yeah, great. And what are you doing today with the rest of us frozen Denverites this weekend !??
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Last edit: by missionkz.

Stove Prairie School and Horsetooth Reservoir 17 Apr 2016 07:42 #721390

• Irish-Kawi
  • User

zukdave wrote: That tire's done.

How so Dave? :huh:

No cracking or sidewall splitting, not squared off and lots of tread left, what caught your eye that looked dangerous?

Thanks man,
Brett

Stove Prairie School and Horsetooth Reservoir 17 Apr 2016 07:43 #721391

• Irish-Kawi
  • User
Thanks Jon and JD, really appreciate the kind words and glad that you guys enjoyed the read it was a fantastic day and a long ride at a bit over 3 hrs on the scooter, backside and knees were starting to get a bit sore by the end of it hahahaha :laugh: :laugh:

Brett

Stove Prairie School and Horsetooth Reservoir 17 Apr 2016 07:45 #721392

• Irish-Kawi
  • User

missionkz wrote: Yeah, great. And what are you doing today with the rest of us frozen Denverites this weekend !??

Hahah Hey Bruce stay warm man its unpleasant down here in Longmont too! Have the day off from work so going to be spending it with the Mrs. Irish and Mini-Me Irish having some fun today, maybe head out to do a bit of running around at a mall so Mini-Me can burn some energy and have fun plus give the Mrs. Irish a chance to spend more of my money :P

What are you up to man?

Brett

• Page: