Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Charging setup for multiple batteries. 19 Dec 2019 09:05 #815609

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2071
I stumbled across this interesting list of chargers capable of handling multiple batteries. Thought I would pass it along.

www.batterystuff.com/files/950-210-ay_manual.pdf
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charging setup for multiple batteries. 01 Apr 2020 07:11 #822375

• Mc Tavish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi. I know I'm probably coming in a bit late on this but I suggest you talk with a reputable RV/motorhome/caravan dealer about your needs as they will have a solution.
Your thoughts on using a battery to charge your batteries is totally doable with a modern controller. the biggest solar panel you can get your hands on, say 200W plus and a 100AH battery and your good to go. the solar panel will charge your batteries and also keep your house battery charged for when the sun is not shining so that it can continue to charge your bike batteries until the sun comes out again, all fully automatic so you don't have to lie awake wondering if your bikes will start,
Do avoid cheap chinese junk controllers because they are junk. Almost all USA/UK/AU controllers are very good and have excellent backup/Warranty.
A couple of things to note is to charge your batteries in series even if it means removing them from the bikes and placing them in a dedicated charging area, make sure the battery chemistry is the same eg lead acid/gel cal, try to have the same or very close AH rating.
Also make sure charging area is well ventilated, Walking into a container full of hydrogen with a cigarette or static laden clothing can't be good!
A couple of solar controllers I am familiar with are Victron and Redarc, google them to see what's available. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mc Tavish.
1978 z650C

Charging setup for multiple batteries. 02 Apr 2020 08:33 #822465

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

Warren3200gt wrote: I have several bikes hooked up to one battery conditioner. Simple flick of the switch to alternate which bike is on charge. Maybe something like this with a auto timer could work?

For charging multiple batteries, I would tend to agree that the switching setup warren posted makes the most sense., if someone wanted to fabricate it. It makes use of one battery conditioner for multiple batteries without conflicts arising from different battery conditions.

Of course all of the fabrication can be eliminated by simply moving the conditioner cable from one battery to the next.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: hmmmmmmm