Gotta have ABS

More
23 Oct 2019 19:29 #812919 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Gotta have ABS
Don't assume ABS will ever stop faster than non ABS. ABS will stop "safer" as it cuts off the brakes to prevent wheel locks. So if you are leaned over this may be good. It may be good in a straight line as you can do evasive riding to avoid impact if you have time and skills. If you had a non ABS motorcycle, and hit a car and think with ABS you would not of, you are sadly mistaked if you were still up on two wheels unless you think you could have done evasive riding. Just stomping the levers and pedal in a straight line ABS is doing you no favors except keeping you on two wheels at the expense of longer braking distance.
My first ABS motorcycle was a 2012 and that feature nearly killed me many times. Once I was going like 50mph, and had plenty enough space to stop for a red light, but there was like 50ft of bad washboard road. I thought I was dead, as that ABS kicked in the whole 50ft. A real nail biter, that would have been zero problem without ABS.
Finally a year or two later I was going 50mph, and traffic suddenly stopped only in the lane I was in. I jammed on the brakes and hit a car at 40mph. I had no hope even without ABS, but I know I would have hit at less than 40mph if still on two wheels. "Maybe" ABS saved me from locking the brakes, falling down, then hitting the car, maybe not. For sure I hit the car. The ABS did not magically stop me, as most assume it will. Like any safety item, good in some ways, sometimes makes things worse. Don't assume this will ever save you ever.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.