Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Building a bike from parts? 22 Dec 2018 06:59 #795536

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
By GregZ: I basically started with a frame and engine cases with this one. It took a year, a lot of cash and literally sucked the life out me. By spring time it will have laced wheels and 4-4 pipes.

For some models it would be worth the trouble & expense: a Z1 would certainly fall into that category.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Building a bike from parts? 22 Dec 2018 08:07 #795538

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443

.kyle wrote: Thank you to everyone that commented! Some nice bikes got posted up as well.

Seeing as it will be my first road bike (I don't even have a license yet) I figured the easiest thing to do would be to get a full bike, so that's what I did - a 1980 kz440 ltd. That way I get to learn road bikes and if I enjoy making it into a cafe racer, the next bike could always be built from parts.

Thank you once again!

I would agree with your decision. Resurrecting an old motorcycle is hard work and not cheap. Even if you are not trying to restore to original. It cost me at least $3000 for my bike on top of the purchase cost. On a KZ400 it would normally be a cheaper. But the bikes you describe, maybe not . You also need the knowledge and skill (or learn it) in order to accomplish the task. Also would have most likely took a year or two to get it to the point where you can even ride it. So you did the right thing and got a running bike. Which you will still find some problems when dealing with an old motorcycle. But a lot easier to sort out a running bike. You will still need to make sure the brakes are solid (pads, brake lines, fluid and shoes) and the tires are not too old. Focus these things and on learning how to ride safely. Congratulations on your new ride!
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
The following user(s) said Thank You: .kyle

Building a bike from parts? 22 Dec 2018 08:32 #795540

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 519
Thank You for sharing! Now that is one Cool, Tough, Neat, Bad Ass or whatever you call em' in your part of the World!
I would be proud to ride and own that motorcycle!
Excellent craftsmanship!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Building a bike from parts? 24 Dec 2018 04:34 #795610

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245

z1kzonly wrote: Yes! They can Co-Exist!!!! 2014 picture! At least I don't have a Prius in the driveway! :laugh:
Merry Christmas To All!

[

Is that Kaw ever going to get finished? lol
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• Page: