Worst Day. Kawasaki Kalamity

More
16 Jan 2018 10:45 #777332 by Compgeke
Replied by Compgeke on topic Worst Day. Kawasaki Kalamity
Neutral switch is probably just a dirty\flakey switch like it is on my KZ550. It only works 30% of the time, and even then maybe not until you give the thing a good whack. Some Day(tm) I might rip the thing down and see if I can fix it but it's not been high priority.

With brake lights, dig up a multimeter and wiring diagram and start seeing if you have voltage to the back. I might have the wrong diagram here but it looks like you should have running voltage on the following:

Blue: +12V (give or take depending on alternator\battery charge)
Black w/ Yellow Stroke: Ground
Red: Brake Light +12V. Should get voltage on this whenever one of the brake levers are pressed.

A copy of the service manual can be found here .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2018 08:57 #777355 by 650Dude
Replied by 650Dude on topic Worst Day. Kawasaki Kalamity

Compgeke wrote: Neutral switch is probably just a dirty\flakey switch like it is on my KZ550. It only works 30% of the time, and even then maybe not until you give the thing a good whack. Some Day(tm) I might rip the thing down and see if I can fix it but it's not been high priority.

With brake lights, dig up a multimeter and wiring diagram and start seeing if you have voltage to the back. I might have the wrong diagram here but it looks like you should have running voltage on the following:

Blue: +12V (give or take depending on alternator\battery charge)
Black w/ Yellow Stroke: Ground
Red: Brake Light +12V. Should get voltage on this whenever one of the brake levers are pressed.

A copy of the service manual can be found here .

Yeo, something got fried. I will check this weekend. Funny though, when this issue started I had no leaks. Now it seems oil is leaking from somewhere above the starter. Could anything electrical have caused this? Forgive me if its a dumb question.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.