First Long Distance Trip: KZ650 & RIDING MANNERS

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
21 Oct 2017 18:08 #773428 by JWKZ750

650ed wrote: I had a friend who rode his bike nearly the same as I ride mine - sometimes fast / sometimes not fast. We rode our bikes many times on pretty long trips (150 - 250 miles) and never had problems. We always had good rides. Unfortunately, he moved far a way and we lost contact.

I also have ridden in groups or 2 - 6 with others and the experience was the exact opposite. Some of them wanted to stop at every bar on a 150 mile trip (so they did and I kept going); some wanted to ride crazy fast on very bad roads resulting in them dropping or losing control of their bikes; etc. After about 3 experiences with such nitwits I learned to ride alone. I set my own pace. If I feel like riding fast - I do; if I feel like riding slow - I do. There is zero pressure to worry about how the other person is riding, their skill level, mood, etc. I have found riding alone to be much more enjoyable than riding with others, and I have no desire whatsoever to ride with other riders.

So to me your decision not to ride with folks who affect your riding behavior with their antics is a very wise decision. I believe you will find riding much more pleasant if you can set your own pace and not be concerned about the other rider(s)' pace or other decisions. Ed

Thanks for this Ed. I was annoyed because I was looking forward to this ride all week: from NYC to the Montauk lighthouse out on Long Island.

That it ended the way it did was upsetting, but after I broke off from them, and rode at my own decent, yet fast pace, I felt a lot less agitated and riding became fun again. I will stick to riding alone. Too many ppl hop on their bikes and think it makes them SUPERMAN or at least, a better man. I hop on my bike to experience the joy of riding. I learned a hard lesson today, but I did LEARN!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JWKZ750
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
21 Oct 2017 18:09 #773429 by JWKZ750

RonKZ650 wrote: I ride alone, always have and always will for the most part. Guys say "lets plan a ride soon" then I say ok, but I prefer that never happens. Riding with another bike is not my idea of enjoyment. He may want to go 80 where I want 50, maybe I want 80 and he wants 50. Last buddy I rode with for some reason wanted to ride exactly 1mph less than I rode, and wanted me to lead, so after 1/2 hour he was 1/2 mile behind, after 1 hour 1 mile behind, then on top of that he frequently decided to just quit the ride and go home. Too much drama. Ride alone.

Yep. I used to shun invites and ride alone. I set up the ride today and regret it. Never again...ever, esp not with "that" person.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
21 Oct 2017 18:44 #773431 by Scirocco
I am not a slow speed biker at all, i like riding fast (alone) for my own fun and risk, i can do it street legal on Germany highways.
We have almost no speed limit on the highways and i can speed up to 300 kph+ if i wish to do it on my Hayabusa.
But when the speed rise up the risk will reach a point of no control of a near by accident with other road users.
A fast bike can be overlooked by his mis interpreted speed from an careless car driver.
I had some near death situations, were i have to do a emergency brake down from 280 kph to 100 kph with the
rear wheel lift up into the air.
Speed is sometimes like a drug and let you go crazy if you loose control of your right throttle hand.

More
21 Oct 2017 18:47 - 21 Oct 2017 20:42 #773432 by Patton
Moved from Engine forum

KZQ wrote: Hi Folks,
Please read the description of this "Engine" forum before posting here. Seems that a lot of newer members post topics, that belong elsewhere, in this forum just because it's at the top of the listing. In the past we (the Admin Team) have just moved those threads to the proper forums and left a pointer to where the thread was moved. Unfortunately, the pointer thingy doesn't work very well in this version of the software. The end result is that if a thread is posted in the wrong forum we will move it to where it belongs. Once moved that thread may not be easily found. Hopefully this will not result in "Who Deleted My Post?" complaints. I'll leave this thread here for a time and then work it into the forum rules. Thanks for your cooperation. Bill

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Oct 2017 20:42 by Patton.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
22 Oct 2017 08:43 - 22 Oct 2017 09:05 #773460 by bluej58
Yeah we have all been there, I like to go fast when no one is around but when you are with a group of bikes and they are dodging in and out of traffic scaring the shit out of people with their loud pipes, flipping folks off that don't see them come barreling up on them, forcing you to break the laws just to keep them in sight and waiting for a safe/ legal chance to pass cars that are really pissed off by the guys you are trying to catch up with.

I have cut riding ties with a bunch of people but we still get together for other things.

I have a great riding partner in my wife, she will go 5-10 over to keep cars off our butts, lead half the time and is a sober driver,

I could not be happier.

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Oct 2017 09:05 by bluej58.