Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 23 May 2017 15:17 #762580

• daveo
  • daveo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 630
Anyone, please feel free to build on my shaky base, and don't hesitate to add anything you think may help to improve my footing. I possess a weak insight for fine-tuning, but will always endeavor to make it better, given a recommendation or two based on knowledge attained through experience. That dyno run was probably the best $50 investment I've made in awhile.

I just want to ride...especially when this bike runs better than I can make it. :)
1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 23 May 2017 16:03 #762584

• JOE MKII
  • User
  • Thank you received: 25
That is a good graph, it looks to be running fairly well.
I have done a bunch of runs and this is what I know , the operator plays a big roll and good one is worth his weight in gold!!, the dyno plays a big role from the charts it looked like a dynojet 250i ???

Dynos like to read rich so be careful to not get to lean general street driving is a bit different and being a bit rich isn't a bad thing…but just a bit.
Use the same operator every time you do a run. I watched two different guys dyno my GS back to back with a big difference…. the "kid" who did the first run rolled off the throttle just a bit at the end of the run and then rolled it back on and it messed with the AF reading and the HP reading. WEIRD but true
I believe its called "Oppositional Defiance Disorder"
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 23 May 2017 19:22 #762598

• daveo
  • Premium Member
Way back in 2011 the same guy (Scott) ran a dyno-pull on the bike, when his setup was at a semi-secret location in the Grand Rapids, Mi. area. At the time, he was the only guy around that I knew of with a dyno, and was good at what he did even then with what he now considers outdated technology by today's standards. That run was done before I started changing things on the engine, and I thought it was running better than ever...even back then. :lol:

I have a copy of that result, which I may post for reference...mostly stock then.

The charted HP was way-less then than it is now, and it may even have been running rich then too. That was with the old J-head and standard camshafts, typical of the J-engine from 1981-2004 I believe...that's twenty-three years, guy's. It's no wonder ebay is such a great source for parts to keep these bestial-animals alive. :evil:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo.

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 24 May 2017 07:49 #762625

• daveo
  • Premium Member
Figured I'd run premium for a change yesterday, but after checking the spark plugs that gas was drained out and put in my truck. For whatever reason, this bike still prefers regular gas. The more expensive fuel stuff just works to make the spark plugs black, and doesn't make the bike run better...but the old truck likes it. :S

While cleaning the black spark plugs, it occurred to me to check the #3 plug wire with my cheap multi-meter that I finally broke down to purchase a couple years ago.
That #3 cylinder had not fired properly for a long time...it was evident by how that header pipe hadn't blued like the others.
I've been using Accel U-Groove non-resistor spark plugs with NGK resistor caps and copper-core wires, and just now discovered why that #3 spark plug insulator was persistently lighter than the others...

Well, lo and behold that #3 resistor cap was not working properly, if even at all. lol
Now I figure that out , right after the dyno pull...of course... Yep, that's me folks...the one thing that burns well for me is money!!!

Maybe that single deficiency was robbing my engine of power , just when it would have been handy. And oh, it might even have contributed to my poor over-rich condition, since that cylinder wasn't burning the fuel...well.

Please pardon my rant. :evil: :evil: :evil:

:whistle:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 24 May 2017 19:26 #762665

• zukdave
  • User
  • Thank you received: 229
It's the little thing's that get over looked.
1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 25 May 2017 16:55 #762735

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
New wire, comp baffle and 2 sizes smaller mains hopefully will really add up..... that's why I run solid non resistor wires and plugs..... hopefully am getting a little hotter burn from em. Thinking of getting 5 gal of 91 oct pure gas or at least mid grade 89 at BP if I run mine. I most of the time mix 89 and 93 at about a 2 to 1 ratio but have not really been able to tell much of a difference.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 26 May 2017 07:29 #762772

• daveo
  • Premium Member

KZB2 650 wrote: New wire, comp baffle and 2 sizes smaller mains hopefully will really add up..... that's why I run solid non resistor wires and plugs..... hopefully am getting a little hotter burn from em. Thinking of getting 5 gal of 91 oct pure gas or at least mid grade 89 at BP if I run mine. I most of the time mix 89 and 93 at about a 2 to 1 ratio but have not really been able to tell much of a difference.

The wires are ok since they are wire-strand copper core, but decided to get another set of resistor caps from the UK...nice-new red ones. :)
That faulty cap may have been causing an issue during the dyno session. Scott said there was something causing electrical interference with the system as he was running it. :pinch:

May have to take another ride on the dyno. After this simple fix and revised carb jetting, the engine runs incredibly better. :woohoo:

With 127.5 main jets (vs. 132.5), I'm using more throttle rotation range, and the roll-on response is faster-crisper, but yet without pops and spits, even after raising the needle-clips to the third notch. I may go smaller yet with the mains, to see what effect that has, but with dense-warm air ahead it may be good as is. These RS carbs are a trip. B)
1982 KZ1100-A2

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 26 May 2017 21:40 #762837

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184

daveo wrote:

SWest wrote: Sounds about right for a shafty.
Steve

Dyno pull printout for review and comment:

I'm a little surprised at, under 56ft lbs of torque.
Is that normal?
And that A/F ratio looks way to rich to me above 5Krpm and will be worse as the weather warms up.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Last edit: by missionkz.

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 27 May 2017 10:11 #762875

• daveo
  • Premium Member

missionkz wrote:

I'm a little surprised at, under 56ft lbs of torque.
Is that normal?
And that A/F ratio looks way to rich to me above 5Krpm and will be worse as the weather warms up.

In a half-arsed feeble attempt to improve it, I've changed main jets from 132.5 to 127.5 and lowered the needles one notch to the 3rd clip-space. Pilot jets are 120, and I switch air jets (between .07 and .08) depending on the air temperature and humidity.
Not sure about my approach, but the engine seems to like it better...

With little other than you guy's advice, I rely on my general ability to figure out how things work...and beyond-obsessive tinkering.
Professional dyno-tuning would certainly make more cents.
1982 KZ1100-A2

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 28 May 2017 17:37 #762985

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
Hi Dave
Glad bike is improving
One word on this though
. Changing to many tuning variables at once can make it hard to pinpoint what causes
a good or bad change in performance..
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 28 May 2017 18:02 #762988

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2610
And it takes time for the engine to "catch up."
Steve

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 31 May 2017 08:12 #763151

• daveo
  • Premium Member

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Hi Dave
Glad bike is improving
One word on this though
. Changing to many tuning variables at once can make it hard to pinpoint what causes
a good or bad change in performance..
Dave B) B) B)

Still experimenting...

Then: 132.5 Main Jets, 120 Pilot Jets, .07 Pilot Air Jets, 4th-Clip on the Needle

Now: 127.5 Main Jets, 120 Pilot Jets, .09 Pilot Air Jets, 3rd-Clip on the Needle

Better...but best :unsure:
Should I go leaner til it pops...perhaps 117.5 Pilot Jets?
1982 KZ1100-A2