NEW BIKE OF THE YEAR

More
12 Jan 2017 11:44 #752019 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic NEW BIKE OF THE YEAR
Congratulations David! As you know, my first Z I was a 74 I purchased in 81, and looked a lot like this one. All it needed was buffing paint and cases/ chrome polished and I probably could have gotten it near 60% (okay 45%) of the condition that yours is at. Of course you know, like many others, we went about getting custom paint and throwing away the exhaust. I couldn't afford anything newer since I was in college. I would have liked a newer faired sport bikes like my friends had at the time. Like I said, it wasn't polished up and looked tired. But when I took it for the first test ride, I thought to myself, "Man, this thing's got balls!!!" And smooth as silk. I knew I was onto something special. Twenty one years old with a Z1! Doesn't get any better than that! I regret not seeing your bike when I came up to Toronto this summer. I met mopguy and restnick but was hoping I would run into your bike. Maybe next summer.

Joe

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2017 13:21 - 12 Jan 2017 17:14 #752027 by Kawboy74
Replied by Kawboy74 on topic NEW BIKE OF THE YEAR
I would like to thank all those who voted in The Bike of The Year. I was quite thrilled to have been considered for the Bike of the Month as there are a substantial number of well-deserving bikes on this forum. The past years Bike of The Month group amply proves that. Then, to have my bike voted as The Bike of The Year by those same people is quite the honour for me. Pretty sure Putin wasn't involved in this voting! I was in very good company in this past years bike sampling, some hugely talented individuals here. Making your own gas tank from aluminum ! Crap, I am hesitating just painting my next projects' bodywork let alone making it!
Thanks to Dave and Joe for all their work in putting these events together monthly and yearly as it is on their own time.
I have met many great people both riding and through this Forum. As well as the connections made both with questions and answers on the help forums, the assistance given by many has on numerous occasions greatly helped me with things I have been working on. I hope that in the future I will be able to assist where possible and encourage others to do the same.
Joe, I did not know you were coming to town or I would have connected with you. Please make sure that when you return you pm me so that we can make plans to connect. That goes for others in this forum as well.
Thanks again to those who voted for my Z1 and the positive praise given afterwards.
David

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada
Last edit: 12 Jan 2017 17:14 by Kawboy74.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900, Street Fighter LTD

More
12 Jan 2017 19:04 #752048 by Kawboy74
Replied by Kawboy74 on topic NEW BIKE OF THE YEAR
Hey Joe I know what you mean by throwing stuff away back in the day. I had my '75 original paint removed for some crazy graphic stuff and regretted it forever. I bought a Kerker pipe in Daytona Beach on my honeymoon in "79 and threw my originals away as they had the baffles removed by the previous owner. My then "wife to be" loved the '75 and now loves the '74 even more. Sorry Dave but she hates the LTD as she slides forward when I slow down and we always bump helmets. I actually tried to find a '75 to restore in the first place but none seemed to exist and when the '74 reared its head I jumped on it.
A couple of pics showing what I did to it and my future wife sitting on it in '78.

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada
Attachments: