Pit Stop Performance...

More
10 Mar 2017 13:40 - 13 Mar 2017 16:02 #756344 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Pit Stop Performance history
Sorry Folks but these posts are out of order. Please see my post, seventh below, and then come back here to follow the thread.
KZQ

Glad you're feeling better, and hoping you can keep doing what you love. The really knowledgeable guys here have always had nothing but good things to say about your business (including Larry, of course).

Thanks for posting.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2017 16:02 by loudhvx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2017 13:58 #756347 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic Pit Stop Performance history
I tried to say Thanks but it says I am banned. But Thanks anyhow

More
10 Mar 2017 14:08 #756349 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Pit Stop Performance history
Nothing wrong with Kwik Way valve equipment. Its just old school. Still it works great, and a lot of people still use them.

The God of Horsepower, Smokey Yunick used Kwik Way to do his valve jobs. Need I say anymore!!!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
10 Mar 2017 15:07 #756352 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Pit Stop Performance history
In my opinion.
A one million Dollar tooling machine operated by theoretician can not be better than a good mechanic with years of experience and a good hand tool!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
12 Mar 2017 12:24 #756524 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Pit Stop Performance history
I want to thank Joe Hooper for making this post so we as members of KZRider can have the straight scoop.
As a moderator here I have to remind Joe and other business owners that only a paying vendor can use there own business name in a post here on KZR. The staff will be cleaning up the post to conform with site rules.. That said officially we as a staff thank Joe for his post and hope he will continue to be a member in good standing .
Now there is nothing in our rules keeping me or any member here from mentioning that Joe Hooper is my go to guy as his shop
PIT STOP PERFORMANCE IS A GREAT PLACE TO DO KZ BUSINESS. . ;) ;) ;) ;)
Sooooooooo Enjoy your Sunday and thanks Joe for your posts.

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee, zukdave, Scirocco

More
12 Mar 2017 13:45 #756529 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Pit Stop Performance history
Thats really stangup of you Dave.

Not just here on the site but life in general we are loosing the old school KZ guys the one's that
have been riding, racing and repairing them since they came out.
Guys like Joe, Larry, Jay, Jeff I wish they would spend more time on here.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, Scirocco

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
12 Mar 2017 19:08 #756587 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Pit Stop Performance...
I have received this message from Joe Hooper. I thought it best to post it here in this older thread.

Pit Stop Performance history

The business was established in 1974. I had been wrenching on cars with my father since I was a pup. He flew B17’s in WWII. He was always taking apart something in our driveway on the weekends and some of my earliest memories were of watching what he was doing and, of course, asking the dumb questions that kids always ask. My father was one of the most meticulous people I ever met. When I got old enough to do anything useful, he would let me do it while looking over my shoulder. Naturally, I wanted to be just like him. He taught me more than I have ever learned from anyone since.

In 1968 I bought my first motorcycle and had the top end off the first weekend. I fell in love with motorcycles very quickly. I worked on all of the motorcycles that my friends had, whenever they needed anything done, they came to me. Most of them, at that time were singles or twins. It didn’t matter to me, I wanted to work on all of them. In early 1974 I bought my first Z1A. After working on that along with others purchased by friends, I opened my business. At first, I would work on anything. Within two years, I was only working on Z1s as I did not have time for anything else.

At the same time, I had started engineering school at the University of Central Florida (UCF) taking classes in Mechanical Engineering. UCF now has the second largest campus enrollment in the US.

After graduating I took a job at the Kennedy Space Center as a systems engineer working on the Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) system. I did that for 29 years. For the first three years, I continued to run my shop in the evenings until the dual work load got to be too much.
I had started drag racing my Z1 almost from the day I got it and continued to do that while working at KSC. I also continued to work on drag racing bikes for my friends who had Z1s and KZs.

When our esteemed president decided that the US no longer needed to be at the forefront of space exploration, I saw the writing on the wall, I went back into the motorcycle business full time. I knew that the KZ engine was basically the small block Chevrolet of motorcycle engines, but I was surprised at the continued popularity. I started off by selling a few parts on Ebay and offering machine shop services.

In less than a year, I could not keep up with the demand. I hired my best friend John. He had been a Nissan master mechanic for many years until he had a stroke and could no longer work at a regular job where they wanted you working all the time. He and I had drag raced together for many years and I had taught him how to assemble the KZ motors. John is very conscientious and a very good mechanic. John does all of the head setup, ring end gapping and engine assembly while I do the machine work and the parts business.

In the late 2011 I started to have heart problems. It was not long before my atrial fibrillation brought me to my knees. My stamina went to zero and I had to hold onto benches as I made my way across the shop while my heart felt like it was going at 200 BPM. I was in much worse shape than John. I needed to find a way to continue the business. I ended up hiring two different guys.

The first guy was to perform valve jobs. He had a good resume of machine shops he had worked in doing this type of work on automobile heads. His references checked out, so I hired him.

I showed him, on several valve jobs how I wanted things done. I do not have a seat and valve machine like a Serti. I use a Kwik Way valve grinding set that uses stones. This setup requires a little more finesse on the part of the operator. It has a gauge to check concentricity and when you find a high spot, you need to lean ever so slightly on the pressure to get it true. After showing him how I wanted it done, I watched him while trying not to fall off the stool for three complete valve jobs. Satisfied that he knew what he was doing, I moved on.

The second guy I hired was a laborer to do cleaning and bead blasting. At PSP We go through a big song and dance to bead blast a head. When beads get inside, you can’t get them out. We use a plethora of special fixtures to keep the beads out of the head. It is my fault that he did not follow the procedure. I showed him how to set it up one time and figured that was enough. After all, it was pretty basic and he could read, so I figured he could perform that task.

Before my first heart surgery, I was feeling so bad that I had to leave running the shop to John and running the parts to my wife. Both of them did the best they could.

After my first heart surgery, I was feeling a whole bunch better and thought I was cured.

I came back to work and started to evaluate where we were. There was too much going on for either my wife or John to keep track of. The first thing I did was to observe my valve job guy in action. I stood there and watched him do a complete valve job without saying anything. He never used the concentricity gauge once. When he was done I asked him about it and he replied that the pilot would keep it straight and it was a waste of his time to use the concentricity gauge. I wrote him a check for his time to that point and he has not been back since.

Based on that, I watched my laborer and saw him putting a head into the bead blaster without all of the fixtures attached. I stopped him right there and asked why he was not using the fixtures as I had showed him. His reply was that he would put the head in the cleaning tank and let it soak, then clean it “really good” making the fixtures not worth the effort. I wrote him a check for his time to that point and he has not been back since.

I then told John and my wife that there would never, ever, be any more employees at PSP. Our only option would be to raise prices to reduce the amount of work.

I do not want to bore anyone with my health problems, but I had a second heart operation along with a titanium knee installation and am now feeling a lot better.

To close this narrative, I want to say that I will put PSP cylinder boring and engine assembly up against anyone. I will admit that Larry Cavanaugh knows more about valve jobs and porting than I do and can more than likely do a better job. Porting is not our primary focus and we don’t do it for all out racing bikes, we only offer two stages of porting based on what we know to get the most for a buck.

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, 531blackbanshee, Street Fighter LTD

More
12 Mar 2017 19:39 #756592 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic Pit Stop Performance...
Joe is good people. I chose him for my lower end and cylinder work. Putting the engine back together now. There were few people I would trust to do it.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, Ed_in_Miami

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
More
13 Mar 2017 03:00 #756605 by Bozo
Replied by Bozo on topic Pit Stop Performance...
Now thats the Joe I knew from the past. I was glad to read that. It explained why some customers were unhappy in the past but I never believed that it was Joe that did that work.
Stay healthy Joe.

First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, 1983 fully recon motor fitted LOVE THIS BIKE
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as FJ above)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, Ed_in_Miami

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
14 Mar 2017 11:53 #756725 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Pit Stop Performance history

Dr. Gamma wrote: Nothing wrong with Kwik Way valve equipment. Its just old school. Still it works great, and a lot of people still use them.

The God of Horsepower, Smokey Yunick used Kwik Way to do his valve jobs. Need I say anymore!!!!!

Smokey is a legend and one of my heroes too

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
15 Mar 2017 20:28 #756850 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Pit Stop Performance history

Street Fighter LTD wrote:

Dr. Gamma wrote: Nothing wrong with Kwik Way valve equipment. Its just old school. Still it works great, and a lot of people still use them.

Smokey is a legend and one of my heroes too

Dave B) B) B)

Most of my motor assembly techniques came from Reading Smokey's books, and many of his articles like the ones that used to be in the old Circle Track magazine!!!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments: