Bike of the Month.

More
07 Aug 2024 18:32 #902858 by calum
Replied by calum on topic Bike of the Month.
I've been offline for a while and only just noticed June's bike of the month. Thanks for all the comments! 15,000km later and still going strong.

A couple of nice bikes since then as well. Nice work guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2024 13:01 #903799 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Bike of the Month.
It's that time again, staying stateside this month for a real nice 550 Zephyr from Paul (stereordinary) I think this is a fantastic example of another old bike saved from the "crusher" and turned into a sweet unique ride without "blowing the kids college fund"Bike: 1990 Kawasaki ZR550 Zephyr w/Wiseco 615cc Big Bore Kit - Nickname: Goldie BrownIn March of last year I found this bike for sale on Craig's List in Seattle for the princely sum of $100, clean title included. It was listed as a parts/project bike, and I thought I could use it as such for the Zephyr 550 I already had. A friend of mine happened to be headed to Seattle the very next day, so I contacted the seller, handled the bill of sale via email, and late in the evening took delivery of the bike. It looked pretty rough, and at first I was pretty sure it was just going to be used for spare parts. But there were some interesting signs, such as how clean the carbs were (they came neatly rolled in a towel in a plastic bin with a bunch of other parts), and how clean the inside of the tank was (despite the outside being very bad), amongst other things. I started wiping it down, reassembling a few things, and pretty soon felt fairly confident that the bike had potential to come back together and be ridden again.As hard as I tried to focus on the mechanical stuff, the part of me that likes shiny objects took over at some point, and I refinished it. The tank and all of the fairings were sanded down to raw metal/plastic, and shot with an epoxy sealer, then high-build primer, blocked until flat, more epoxy sealer, then the first color (gold), a thin layer of clear, flattened again, then masked, the second color (brown), and finally a bunch of clear on top of that. Everything was wet-sanded to 2000 grit, and hand polished with a rubbing compound and microfiber towel. Yes, I do have some painting experience, but this was very DIY and my equipment was very minimal. There was sort of two stages in the effort to get it running. At first it was getting the top end back together while checking cam timing and valve clearances, picking up a few replacement parts such as OEM handlebars, petcock, and an ignition key, and repairing some things like the gauge/meter plastics and a shorted-out turn signal relay. At this point I was ready to start it up. The seller told me it had been ten years since the bike last ran, but three months after purchasing her, she was ready to ride.After a couple hundred miles though, I was increasingly concerned about a leak that appeared to be coming from one of the cylinder head gaskets. Doing any kind of engine rebuilding work was a completely new thing to me, but I excited to try. And it just so happened that a good deal on a Wiseco big bore kit with an already bored out cylinder block from an '82 GPZ550 fell into my hands. I had originally intended to install it on my other bike, but since this one had to come apart anyway, I let a friend convince me to go for it. The culprit of the leak turned out to be a low quality non-OEM cylinder base gasket. Everything besides the big bore kit parts was replaced with OEM, and I fixed a few other things while I was doing the job, including a loose output sprocket plate, a broken off oil pan bolt, and some missing exhaust collars. Additionally, I removed the resonance chamber and "derestricted" the exhaust. All along the way at various stages some other things happened like rebuilding the rear brake calliper with new seals and pads, rebuilding and painting the front forks, swapping the front brake from my other bike over (it had been fully rebuilt with new lines a few years ago), installing a fender delete kit, a European-spec cam cover (no emissions ports), and a bunch of other little details. The airbox has been modified, and the carbs re-jetted as well.It's a great bike. Top speed is definitely higher than my stock 550, and it's a ton of fun. After all that work though, I'm actually selling it. In fact by the time this gets to BOTM it may already be gone, I have an interested party coming to see it tomorrow. Everyone keeps saying it's worth more than I'm asking, and I don't know if that's true, but it's nice to hear. They always ask me why I would sell this one and not my other bike, and all I can say is that I'm more emotionally bonded to the other one. Arguably this is the better bike of the two, but I guess in that way it's also worth more, and I've overspent on too many things this past year. Funny how that works. 

• The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcdroid, sf4t7, Scirocco, calum, howardhb, Stereordinary

More
    01 Sep 2024 04:53 #903820 by calum
    Replied by calum on topic Bike of the Month.
    Nice save stereordinary! That could have easily just rusted away in the corner of someones shed. 
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Stereordinary

More
    02 Sep 2024 21:25 #903904 by Stereordinary
    Replied by Stereordinary on topic Bike of the Month.
    Thanks guys! It's an honor. 

A breeze from the west.
    ‘90 ZR550 Zephyr

More
    11 Sep 2024 05:04 #904210 by ronnieV
    Replied by ronnieV on topic Bike of the Month.
    Nice save. I always loved the zephyr line up. Retro style.  Well done.

77 ltd1000 80 ltd1000 78kz1000a ,02 red zrx 12r, 94 cb1000 big one ,03 valkyrie (my couch) 65 olds 442
    The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

• Scirocco
    • Premium Member
    • Never change a running system
    More
    11 Sep 2024 15:05 #904224 by Scirocco
    Replied by Scirocco on topic Bike of the Month.
    One of the best bike re-birth, from the junk yard back on to the street again!
    The paint job and color design is brilliant!!!

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
    • User
    • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
    More
    12 Sep 2024 03:54 #904246 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
    Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Bike of the Month.
    Well done!  Great color scheme.

Good Ridin'
    slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
    A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
    1974 Z1-A x2
    1975 Z1-B x2
    1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
    2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
    An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
    on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

More
    13 Sep 2024 09:29 #904269 by TexasKZ
    Replied by TexasKZ on topic Bike of the Month.
    Excellent results!

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
    1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
    2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Buzz Nichols
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    Yesterday 00:10 #904296 by Buzz Nichols
    Replied by Buzz Nichols on topic Bike of the Month.
    Beautiful job—well deserved honors!

Is this thing working? Is this thing on?

1978 KZ1000 LTD

• Street Fighter LTD
    • Topic Author
    • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
    More
    Yesterday 06:59 #904301 by Street Fighter LTD
    Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Bike of the Month.
    Great Job bring a bike back from the grave.
    What's next ?
    Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
    Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn