Someone school me on the KZPs!

More
04 Aug 2015 10:36 #684259 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Someone school me on the KZPs!

ThatGPzGuy wrote: Hey Gang, I decided my next bike is going to be a KZP. What do I need to know?
If it helps any, I am selling my Honda Interceptor to make room. :)

You need to know that every maintenance/repair task will be more of a PITA because you have to remove the cop stuff to get to it. (Fairing has to come off to remove the valve cover, bags have to come off to change the rear tire. Shifter/floorboard has to come off to access engine sprocket, and so on).

You also need to know that they're very top heavy, which is great in a way, but you'll probably want to put in some parking lot practice with motocross boots on ;-)

The rest is usual old-bike stuff. It really is a 1982 bike, even the ones made in the 2000s.

The cops weren't generally very kind to these bikes, so unless you find a real cherry, expect it to be far more worn out than any civillian bike of a similar age. I've got ~70k miles on my 1997.

I've never seen any evidence that the police departments did any more maintenance on these things than changing oil and tires. In some ways that's good, because when you open the valve cover you'll be the first one to do so since the factory, so nobody will have buggered anything. In other ways it's obviously very bad because everything will be worn out.

Oh, and be prepared to for heavy handlebar vibration at 4k RPM and a highway experience close to redline if it still has the stock sprocket/chain. (most replace at least the rear sprocket for lower highway RPMs).

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
04 Aug 2015 12:14 #684272 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Someone school me on the KZPs!

z1kzonly wrote: You need to smoke the rear tire in front of Guys with black motorcycle boots and axle grease embedded under neat their finger nails!

Hello, I know you guy's hate this, but what a picture, showing my age here!
But, how many of you's ever heard this song? Marlon Brando, Wild One's era! FTW!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
04 Aug 2015 12:46 - 04 Aug 2015 12:48 #684275 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Someone school me on the KZPs!
I never heard that song before, but Black slacks is peppier. :laugh: :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 04 Aug 2015 12:48 by 650ed.

More
04 Aug 2015 17:12 #684328 by KZP15
Replied by KZP15 on topic Someone school me on the KZPs!
I took off everything cop but the seat and that's last. As for vibration I believe that's from the marble run flats on the bike. I put metric 404's on it and its as smooth as glass. I don't ride freeway but have never redlined in 5th but have hit over a 100MPH. Changed out the 100lb. exhaust to a Mac 4-2. I will say it sucks gas like a thirsty hippo. The re gearing for highway would be a huge asset. I also put on a Maier fairing to cut some of the wind. So far no june bugs or jap beetle bouncing off my helmet. Other than that the suspension once relieved of the cop carp actually is stiff and corners to my liking. I do grind the footboards from time to time but that means I'm having fun.

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
30 Aug 2015 17:12 #687924 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic Someone school me on the KZPs!
I'm making some progress with my KZP but so far I have only done a couple of blasts down my street. Hopefully this week I'll have it ready-to-go. The last thing I am waiting for is a petcock diaphragm. The one I bought from Partzilla came with a tear in it. Nice.
My question is what can I do with it and still remain legal? I know about not having colored lights in the fairing (mine don't work anyway) but how about a CHP decal on the tank? I'm in GA so it's not like I'm trying to impersonate the Georgia State Patrol.
Oh, and even with my limited saddle time, I can tell this bike is going to be a blast to ride... :)

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

More
31 Aug 2015 10:52 #688040 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Someone school me on the KZPs!

ThatGPzGuy wrote: I'm making some progress with my KZP but so far I have only done a couple of blasts down my street. Hopefully this week I'll have it ready-to-go. The last thing I am waiting for is a petcock diaphragm. The one I bought from Partzilla came with a tear in it. Nice.
My question is what can I do with it and still remain legal? I know about not having colored lights in the fairing (mine don't work anyway) but how about a CHP decal on the tank? I'm in GA so it's not like I'm trying to impersonate the Georgia State Patrol.
Oh, and even with my limited saddle time, I can tell this bike is going to be a blast to ride... :)

You'll have to check your state laws, but generally the only thing that's legal to keep is the "KZ1000 Police", since that's the model of the bike. I believe some states even have regulations against having stars.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
31 Aug 2015 18:05 #688103 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Someone school me on the KZPs!
Some of you KZP owners need to PM me and we can talk about a future BOTM with a Police Bike.
1 as original as possible
2 and one all hot-rodded too
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn