GPZ 900 R buyers guide? What to look for?

More
25 Jul 2014 19:59 #641445 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic GPZ 900 R buyers guide? What to look for?

Hemmek wrote: Thank you all I am now a owner of a GPZ 900R as well :) (good to have one bike to tinker whit and drive the other)
Allthough I must have a curse on me or something.
Guess what?
Carb trouble again and some weird as fuck symptoms.
(the buyer lived in a city where I couldn't open her up completely anywhere because of traffic)
But I noticed the engine was kinda of ruff but not so bad that I thought of it as a big deal then.
on my ride home (250 kilometres my ass is still numb)
I finaly got away from traffic and could open her up completely.
Well I can feel that she lacks power (bogs a litte on full throttle) but when you hit 6.000rpm at WOT.
She does not quite accelerate but actually slows down like the engine is dying.
Let of the throttle and she starts up again.

Except the time she actually died on me completely for no reason.
And nearly ran out of battery after a break (she wouldn't start)

But tomorrow I she will get some new oil (I always chance oil and plugs on everything I buy)
And I will do some troubleshooting.
I will start a new thread on it so this one stays on topic for the future if anyone else is thinking of buying a GPZ.

Thanks again for everything.
Best regards H

Good Luck....

Larry C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2014 22:24 #641456 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic GPZ 900 R buyers guide? What to look for?

steell wrote: The 84 GPz900 was the start of a seventeen year run of motors that liked to window the cases with number three rod. GPz900 GPz1000, ZX10B, ZX11/GPz1100, all suffered the same problem. Problem was not corrected until the release of the ZRX1200/ZZR1200 motor. ZX12R was a new design.

Keep the oil level at the top of the sight glass, keep the front end on the ground, and keep your fingers crossed.

Do a search for GPz900 rod, lots of hits.

On the 1st zx11 I had bad in the early -mid 90s I sent the oil pan and some other stuff to mr turbo to have the oil restrictor mod done on it,
Cant remember the specifics but it basically restricted oil to topend and sent more directly to the mains,Im sure they probably still do it.
I beat that poor bike like a rented mule and never had any crank/rod issues with it. ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
26 Jul 2014 10:31 #641490 by steell
Replied by steell on topic GPZ 900 R buyers guide? What to look for?

PLUMMEN wrote:

steell wrote: The 84 GPz900 was the start of a seventeen year run of motors that liked to window the cases with number three rod. GPz900 GPz1000, ZX10B, ZX11/GPz1100, all suffered the same problem. Problem was not corrected until the release of the ZRX1200/ZZR1200 motor. ZX12R was a new design.

Keep the oil level at the top of the sight glass, keep the front end on the ground, and keep your fingers crossed.

On the 1st zx11 I had bad in the early -mid 90s I sent the oil pan and some other stuff to mr turbo to have the oil restrictor mod done on it,
Cant remember the specifics but it basically restricted oil to topend and sent more directly to the mains,Im sure they probably still do it.
I beat that poor bike like a rented mule and never had any crank/rod issues with it. ;)

I believe Mr Turbo is still doing the oil pans, others gave it up as the ZX11 got older. Seemed like it didn't matter what you did, some bikes blew up while others didn't. Simple fix is put a ZZR1200 motor in it, like I did to my 93 ZX11. ZZR1200 had dual oil pumps and some redesign to fix the oiling problems.
Had a friend that blew up two zx11s in a row, both at 150 mph in fifth gear.

KD9JUR

More
26 Jul 2014 19:18 #641547 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic GPZ 900 R buyers guide? What to look for?

steell wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

I believe Mr Turbo is still doing the oil pans, others gave it up as the ZX11 got older. Seemed like it didn't matter what you did, some bikes blew up while others didn't. Simple fix is put a ZZR1200 motor in it, like I did to my 93 ZX11. ZZR1200 had dual oil pumps and some redesign to fix the oiling problems.
Had a friend that blew up two zx11s in a row, both at 150 mph in fifth gear.

That would give you a really warm,slushy feeling in the ol shorts! :sick: :blink: :woohoo:
I hit 160 plus really quick/easy on both of the ones I had,felt like 90 on a kz1000! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
20 Aug 2014 13:37 #644622 by Hemmek
Replied by Hemmek on topic GPZ 900 R buyers guide? What to look for?
Btw.
I got her running good now ;)
The following has been done.
1, Valve clearance adjusted (needed)
2, jetted the carbs back to stock (main 20 sizes to large)
3, Adjusted choke wire (so tight that she was always on choke about 4-5 millimetres at the shaft)
4, new air filter (old one was disintegrated big holes and so forth)

She still have a weird flat spot between 7-8.000rpm at WOT but runs very good otherwise and takes of like a rocket after 8.000rpm.

Had to replace all the bearings in the back wheel and sprocket hub.
Had to Shorten the chain one link.

I will not bother with the flat spot since I will be running a 4-1 exhaust and pods in the future.

She still need some work though, the ignition leads are so hard that one actually snapped of like a twig when I removed them (It broke just by the cap so I could just remove the rest of the lead and thread the rest back on)
I know they need to be replaced badly but I will go for the stick coil mod instead ;)

She has gotten new oil as well.

Love the bike to be honest almost to fun to ride and a great complement for my KZ750.
The KZ750 is still my preferred bike for small roads though the GPZ just doesn't feel at home there.
But when I am able to go fast the GPZ feels right at home ;)
(the KZ750 does lack some handling and does not inspire confidence when doing 140+kmh or about 80mph)

The only bad thing is that I just got one good ride on the GPZ before the weather turned to crap here in Sweden.
Windy and raining like hell, and I mean seriously bad, (raining almost two weeks non stop)
Gotten so bad rivers are overflowing.

Thankfully I live in an good area so no risk of floods here ;)
Thanks for all the input ;)

Best Regards H

Kawasaki kz750 E1 1980
Kawasaki GPZ 900R A1 1984