Used Stabil - now bike won't start

More
19 Nov 2013 18:53 #613503 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Used Stabil - now bike won't start
Hard to say if benefits are mostly imagined by the majority of people. The only place really fuel storage is a problem is in the carb bowls, in small quantity gas can and does go bad. In the tank, no big deal sitting even a year or more without any stabilizer even as a few gallons takes a good long time to turn bad.
I'm doing a test right now. I treated a 2 gallon can of gas with 2oz of Stabil, which is plenty according to the claims they make, then thouroughly mixed it and poured 4oz into a mason jar with a 1/8" hole in the top for a little breather kind of what a carb would get. I also poured 4 oz of untreated gas into an identical mason jar. Now I have two jars with 4oz of gas I'm watching. So far I can see the treated gas is a little more red in color as the Stabil is red in color. 1oz per gallon mixture I was surprised to actually see any difference. So here we go, I will look, study, smell ect until something exciting happens :laugh: May be like watching grass grow for a year or two, we'll see sooner or later.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2013 19:32 #613589 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Used Stabil - now bike won't start
The bike will stall when the pilot jet no longer reaches the gas in the bowl. At that point there is still a lot of gas in the bowls and in the main jet circuit.

Using the drains, which were actually designed for that exact purpose, will get more of the gas out of the bowls.

The bike doesn't literally "run on fumes",

More
21 Nov 2013 04:48 #613608 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Used Stabil - now bike won't start
Sample from a mower at work been sitting about 6 month's.
[IMG

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
25 Nov 2013 12:04 #614064 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Used Stabil - now bike won't start
Not sure if yall have the same issues we have down here but the ethanol in the gas here causes a lot of issues in anything that sits more than a month or two. I have a friend that does small engine repair, this spring he was slammed from carb problems due to the gas sitting.
He does recommend some type of additive and there are several on the market to help " save" the gas nad keep the water out of it

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
26 Nov 2013 06:55 #614119 by dkoz
Replied by dkoz on topic Used Stabil - now bike won't start
i have used both stabil and seafoam and i like the sea foam way better...i also have found that depending on which machine im using it in verys ( maby because of the different carbs),,for instance
the 76 Electra glide ..keihin carb ..will start and run fine with or without any thing in the fuel..
the 78 ltd stock carbs spits and sputters if it sets longer than a month but is way better with sea foam..
the cub cadet roto tiller.. i dont know what kind of carb..will not run at all unless old fuel is drained and fresh fuel is added
and the troy built snow thrower.. dont know the carb..after siting all summer starts with sea foam and NOT WITH STABIL.but will sputter until fresh fuel is added.
my 2 stroke items seem to run great with seafoam,,, echo,chain saw..weed wacker..still leaf blower..husqvarna leaf blower ..oh my old 77 a1 with smooth boars ran great even after sitting all winter with out any thing
so i do believe it depends on the machine as well

1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2

More
26 Nov 2013 07:00 #614120 by dkoz
Replied by dkoz on topic Used Stabil - now bike won't start
oh and advanced has a half way decent sealed battery...usually in stock .it only took one leaky battery to fudge up my exhaust...never again :sick:

1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2