"Adventure" Riding on a KZ?

More
19 May 2012 13:28 - 19 May 2012 13:30 #523359 by sft1662
"Adventure" Riding on a KZ? was created by sft1662
I've gotta throw this out there because I'm considering tapping into my savings and picking up a 1994 KLR 650 in a day or 2...

My dream is to go to Panama on 2 motorized wheels next winter but my only current bike is the KZ. How would a KZ handle a lot of rough dirt and 18" water crossings...? Overall a 14,000 mile 3 month trip? I know it would not handle well in the rough stuff, but am I just asking for a cracked frame or bent rim or hurting KZ? I figure it would probably be about 70-80% paved but I've seen some rough stuff in central america and been over through some river crossings in a car...

I'm seriously contemplating it, it would save the hassle of having 2 bikes and save the money that a second bike would cost. Less money preparing for the trip = longer and better quality time on the road and getting on my feet when I get back.

Thoughts, concerns, suggestions, crazy?

Yeah, I know I've been worried about my 4,000mi "road trip" that is in a few weeks, but I dream big :woohoo:

I figure minimum will be a valve adjustment on the road, and periodic oil/lube and cam chain, drive chain adjustment, air filter. Probably bring spare wire/fuses, stuff to rebuild a carb if necessary, spare cables, maybe brake pads, spare shims, enough tools to do all of this... etc...

Definitely new sealed bearings before leaving and bring spares. Try and weatherproof everything (I'm thinking the points plate would be a weak spot underwater?) Probably try and rig up some sort of skid plate. Some 80/20 on/offroad tires... New chain/sprockets, etc... Am I crazy or just young (relatively) and stupid (again, relatively :laugh: )

1978 KZ650 B2A
Last edit: 19 May 2012 13:30 by sft1662.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
19 May 2012 14:38 #523374 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic "Adventure" Riding on a KZ?
Sounds like you have the bases covered. After the 4000 mile trip you will gain some insight. Water crossings huh?

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
19 May 2012 15:22 #523381 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic "Adventure" Riding on a KZ?
Try to pack light............

Attachment camper.jpg not found

:woohoo: :laugh: :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
19 May 2012 16:03 #523392 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic "Adventure" Riding on a KZ?
I think you'll be fine. Buy good brake pads before you go, do the valve adjustment before you go, you shouldn't need to do those again before you get back. Put on a good fuel filter and bring a few spares, swap them out periodically. Definitely do something to seal the points cover, it will leak. Spare cables are a good idea. Put in wheel bearings before you go, no need to bring spares but go ahead if you want.

Lube, oil, air filter like you say, preiodic adjustment for the chains.

I figure if you replace all the long interval stuff before you go you'll only have to bring the short term maintenance stuff with you. My experience is that once these bikes are running well, they'll run every day no problem. Fuel filter will be a must though, with many extras. Z1E has good ones for cheap. Swap them out every 2000mi down there I'd imagine.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
19 May 2012 16:40 #523398 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic "Adventure" Riding on a KZ?
You should also come up with an axillary fuel tank so you do not have to worry about running out of fuel in the middle of a Mexican desert :(

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
19 May 2012 18:09 #523410 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic "Adventure" Riding on a KZ?
Two things come to mind for me. You're going to go through a couple sets of tires and the sizes for the old KZs aren't always easy to find (at least not in the US). Also, what about the height of the mufflers? You mention 18" deep water crossings. The KLR has the exhaust way up by the seat. I've never done it, but what happens when your tail pipe dips below the water line?

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
19 May 2012 18:28 - 19 May 2012 18:48 #523412 by sft1662
Replied by sft1662 on topic "Adventure" Riding on a KZ?
I'm actually a bit surprised about the encouragement. Thanks. Anyone had their KZ on any really rough roads for a prolonged amount of time?

Topper wrote: Two things come to mind for me. You're going to go through a couple sets of tires and the sizes for the old KZs aren't always easy to find (at least not in the US). Also, what about the height of the mufflers? You mention 18" deep water crossings. The KLR has the exhaust way up by the seat. I've never done it, but what happens when your tail pipe dips below the water line?

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure, that is a concern. I have only been to costa rica and did have to cross some water on several occasions as well as ride on some very rough roads (in a car so no worries). I'd imagine if you stay on the throttle and dont give the water a chance to sit in the exhaust that it might be okay, but I've never done it on a kz so really have no idea... That could be rough.

Tires I may be able to arrange shipping a set to someone I know in Costa Rica or find someone who would hold them for me along the way... I think an issue like that could be worked around without too much problem.

1978 KZ650 B2A
Last edit: 19 May 2012 18:48 by sft1662.

More
19 May 2012 18:57 #523418 by damarble
Replied by damarble on topic "Adventure" Riding on a KZ?
On the one hand, a KZ is far more capable than some of the crap people get around on in third world countries. But I would not want to use it myself. The KLR is much better idea and you can get a decent one for a couple grand.

When I was on my road trip last year I crossed paths with a guy from Ireland that was riding a BMW from Alaska to the tip of South America, he had made it to Nevada at that point. Had a great convo and I was impres sed what he'd done so far. If you do pull it off it should be an incredible experience.

Go green, buy a Kawasaki!

82 KZ750M CSR Build Thread

89 ZX600C Streetfighter

More
19 May 2012 19:05 - 19 May 2012 19:06 #523420 by sft1662
Replied by sft1662 on topic "Adventure" Riding on a KZ?
This is somewhat encouraging:

:laugh:

1978 KZ650 B2A
Last edit: 19 May 2012 19:06 by sft1662.

More
20 May 2012 00:03 #523470 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic "Adventure" Riding on a KZ?
18” is a lot of water! Considering that the points and generator will be totally submerged, how will you make sure they stay bone dry. Also, the engine breather tube may be submerged letting water run into the crankcase. And then there are the carbs intakes. Even if they are not submerged, if water gets up into the airbox through its drain or by splashing around under the seat it could be sucked into the cylinders causing hydro lock. Also, consider the starter, voltage regulator, rectifier, and other electrics and whether or not water will short them out. I’m not saying going through that much water is impossible, but you will need to take the time to sort out how to prevent the water from getting into places it does not belong and then determine if those same mods will cause any problems over thousands of miles of riding. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• ready2ryde1985
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
20 May 2012 04:16 #523498 by ready2ryde1985
Replied by ready2ryde1985 on topic "Adventure" Riding on a KZ?
As far as rough back roads go thems my favorit B)
I ride a lot and most of my home area is back roads these bikes love the abuse .. I did stifen everything up suspension wise to handle 80 to 90 mile per hour sprints down rough roads as for the water
Buy the bike .. I love my kz but there are some things she just can't do and 18 inches of water is a lot . Think of the big block as a whal pushing water that alone is a pain . The klr is purpose built you can buy an extra large desert tank and keep the kz for the roads.. who realy wants to ride a kz in the mud... I know I wouldn't want to maintain that bike lol mud and sand in everything been there done that with atvs lol

Not knockin ya these bikes are verry capeable just wouldn't want to swamp 30 year old electronics and there is always the better safe than sorry aspect ... there is a vid on here of someone sand racing a kz mabe ask him how she holds up

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd

More
20 May 2012 07:49 - 20 May 2012 07:52 #523501 by Medina
Replied by Medina on topic "Adventure" Riding on a KZ?
for me it boils down to:

how many KLR650's are down there vs. how many kz's?
they made a zillion KLR's. I have one. If you do need parts do some googling and find out where they are available along your route before you go.
dont forget to put a shop manual ON a zip drive inside four zipped baggies somewhere too

after your 4000 mile trip you will have a different outlook on life, and motorcycles. I assure you.

1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio
Last edit: 20 May 2012 07:52 by Medina.