TOPIC:

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 12 May 2013 17:06 #587048

• TomW
  • TomW's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52

goodfastncheap wrote: ............

Anyway, back to the lack of relayers...I've considered riding my clubman-barred 650 with the homemade seat to Idaho via Texas (and I have no doubt that the bike would make it) but my worry is that I will fuse a vertebrae and my wrists will never function again, so therefore guys...we MUST FIND SOME KANSAS relayers!

I just got a PM from justinz830. He's alive and well. Unfortunately his bike isn't. We still need some KS, NM, CO, WY, ID and NV participants or some one willing to go a LOOOOOONG way. Where are you, Link14?
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 12 May 2013 18:29 #587056

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

TomW wrote:

TomW wrote: ...60 miles out I was down a half a tank of gas. I usually get 100 miles on the first half and 65 on the second half and I still have 2 gallons left. It's a 6.12 gallon tank....

Where excessive gasoline consumption is noticed while riding, if not already done, would check for gasoline having intruded into the crankcase.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 12 May 2013 23:30 #587108

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

Patton wrote:

TomW wrote:

TomW wrote: ...60 miles out I was down a half a tank of gas. I usually get 100 miles on the first half and 65 on the second half and I still have 2 gallons left. It's a 6.12 gallon tank....

Where excessive gasoline consumption is noticed while riding, if not already done, would check for gasoline having intruded into the crankcase.

Good idea. I'll check, but the bottom of the carb was wet, I think it all went into the atmosphere.(cough, cough)

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 12 May 2013 23:49 #587115

• kzcurt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
Good Fortune! :)[/quote]
Good idea. I'll check, but the bottom of the carb was wet, I think it all went into the atmosphere.(cough, cough)[/quote]

s

So now we know why the icebergs are melting, you're the culprit! :) :laugh:
Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 13 May 2013 00:09 #587118

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
No melting here. Frost warnings tonight. Must be someone carving up bergs to keep their beer cold.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 13 May 2013 08:32 #587134

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
Nevada...
Now if you can get it to Las Vegas, I can drive to pick it up from there and get it to Southern Cal..... B)

Let me know....

OMR
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 15 May 2013 16:16 #587554

• justinz830
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I just found out today that I don't have any work until I start my real job the first of June. My last final is tonight at 7, after that it will be full steam ahead on the bike for a week and a half. I'm sure that I can get it to a riding state by then. Is there any plan as far as hand offs go? I'm okay riding from Manhattan, or Newton (where I'll be living), up to Nebraska, but all the way out to CO is going to be a few days journey I'm afraid. How many members does the site have from the central U.S.? Do we know exactly where the flag is going after KS?
1979 KZ650 B3
1979 KZ1000 ST E1

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 15 May 2013 18:01 #587562

• goodfastncheap
  • User
  • Thank you received: 38

justinz830 wrote: I just found out today that I don't have any work until I start my real job the first of June. My last final is tonight at 7, after that it will be full steam ahead on the bike for a week and a half. I'm sure that I can get it to a riding state by then. Is there any plan as far as hand offs go? I'm okay riding from Manhattan, or Newton (where I'll be living), up to Nebraska, but all the way out to CO is going to be a few days journey I'm afraid. How many members does the site have from the central U.S.? Do we know exactly where the flag is going after KS?

I can tell you this...TomW and I are shooting for Wednesday or Thursday 5/22/23 for our hand off, and I will be back to Omaha in the evening of one of those days. I don't see a whole lot of relayers on the map between us and CO, Justin. We might have to get creative here and put word out at bike shops or something, I sure don't have a long haul bike, and you don't either.
1979 KZ650 B3
KZ Relay Rider #54, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 15 May 2013 18:12 #587565

• justinz830
  • User
Well, at least I know I should have enough time to get my bike back together around the time you get the flag. I'll be relocating closer to Wichita around then, so at least a little further southwest than I am now. Is the flag aimed for CO after KS, or down to NM? It has already been through TX and OK right? I know that my bike is not a long hauler, and 3 hours is a little tiring. I know I could make a pretty good distance over a weekend, if someone could reach out and meet me halfway.
1979 KZ650 B3
1979 KZ1000 ST E1

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 15 May 2013 18:49 #587571

• goodfastncheap
  • User
  • Thank you received: 38

justinz830 wrote: Well, at least I know I should have enough time to get my bike back together around the time you get the flag. I'll be relocating closer to Wichita around then, so at least a little further southwest than I am now. Is the flag aimed for CO after KS, or down to NM? It has already been through TX and OK right? I know that my bike is not a long hauler, and 3 hours is a little tiring. I know I could make a pretty good distance over a weekend, if someone could reach out and meet me halfway.

I hear ya, I have a 79 650 B3 too that's pretty cut up and cafe'd out. Good runner though, I trust her -- I'm going 240 round trip in a day next week to meet Tom. Maybe we can sweet talk N0NB (he's in Maryville) to come an hour North like to Beatrice to meet me, then back down toward Wichita someplace that can work for you two. And I think you do need to go (as far as is practical) West to get CO and NM into the relay.
1979 KZ650 B3
KZ Relay Rider #54, Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 15 May 2013 19:08 #587576

• justinz830
  • User
It sounds like our bikes are pretty similar. I wouldn't call mine cafe, but I'm in the process of going from clubman bars to clip ons. I have family out in far south west Kansas, so making it halfway or closer to albuquerque (gravit8) over a weekend shouldn't be a problem. I've round tripped over 200 in a day before, it might not be comfortable, but definitely doable. Is gravit8 the start of the Rocky Mountain leg? Would there be anyone closer in CO?
1979 KZ650 B3
1979 KZ1000 ST E1

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 15 May 2013 23:24 #587639

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
I can't recall ever being to Kansas City :)
78 KZ1000 A2A

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 15 May 2013 23:57 #587655

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19

bluej58 wrote: I can't recall ever being to Kansas City :)

None of us are going there either on this leg!

BTW, guys, I'm keeping my eyes on things and I cannot make any promises or even commit to a schedule at the moment as this late spring has us running to meet deadlines. Crops are going in out at the farm and getting away is tough. Still, I will see what transpires.
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 16 May 2013 08:46 #587699

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

Old Man Rock wrote: Nevada...
Now if you can get it to Las Vegas, I can drive to pick it up from there and get it to Southern Cal..... B)

Let me know....

OMR

Wrong Las Vegas. You'll have to go to Las Vegas, NEW MEXICO. 'Bout 65 miles east of Santa Fe on I-25.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 16 May 2013 08:51 #587700

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

bluej58 wrote: I can't recall ever being to Kansas City :)

I've been there a few times. Great bar-b-que. Some crazy little wimmen there..... Kansas City here I come! It's my halfway stop when I ride out to my mom in NM.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 16 May 2013 08:58 #587703

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

Old Man Rock wrote: Nevada...
I can drive to pick it up from there and get it to Southern Cal..... B)

Let me know....

OMR

Maybe we could meet up at Four Corners. Knock off 4 states in two minutes. Set a record.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R, bluej58

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 16 May 2013 09:14 #587706

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

goodfastncheap wrote:

justinz830 wrote: Well, at least I know I should have enough time to get my bike back together around the time you get the flag. I'll be relocating closer to Wichita around then, so at least a little further southwest than I am now. Is the flag aimed for CO after KS, or down to NM? It has already been through TX and OK right? I know that my bike is not a long hauler, and 3 hours is a little tiring. I know I could make a pretty good distance over a weekend, if someone could reach out and meet me halfway.

I hear ya, I have a 79 650 B3 too that's pretty cut up and cafe'd out. Good runner though, I trust her -- I'm going 240 round trip in a day next week to meet Tom. Maybe we can sweet talk N0NB (he's in Maryville) to come an hour North like to Beatrice to meet me, then back down toward Wichita someplace that can work for you two. And I think you do need to go (as far as is practical) West to get CO and NM into the relay.

Family out around Dodge City?
Gravit8 has been MIA since last fall, at least on this forum, and he was in Iowa City, IA then. Unless he pops up soon he'll miss the flag.

Link 14 is/was supposed to start leg 4. He's in northern CO. and was intending to travel north through CO, WY, MT, then go west. Oops forgot about UT. Leg 5 or the west coast leg was going to start in ID, go to WA then south. More later.

Last edit: by TomW.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 16 May 2013 09:34 #587710

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

kzcurt wrote: Good Fortune! :)

Good idea. I'll check, but the bottom of the carb was wet, I think it all went into the atmosphere.(cough, cough)[/quote]

So now we know why the icebergs are melting, you're the culprit! :) :laugh:[/quote][/quote}

They/re melting now on account of the language I used while getting the carbs off. :woohoo: :evil: :angry: They look perfect inside. I use Seafoam on a regular basis. Methinks the leakage was the fuel line or fuel tee between #2 & #3 or the joints between carbs. I'll know today when I hook up the auxiliary tank. I already ordered the carb kits @ $31 a piece. :( I will only need the bowl gaskets in the kits, but I'll install the float and air needles anyway.

Last edit: by TomW.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 16 May 2013 14:27 #587746

• justinz830
  • User
Coldwater actually, further south, and not quite that far west. Almost on the way to New Mexico though. I'm not sure who all will be around, but if I'm meeting up with Link14 it would be easiest for me to just go over to CO. I'm not sure how we'd get NM in there, but the 4 corners idea sounds good.
1979 KZ650 B3
1979 KZ1000 ST E1

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 16 May 2013 15:40 #587763

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

TomW wrote:

bluej58 wrote: ...Some crazy little wimmen there..... Kansas City here I come!....

Nice! :cheer:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD