TOPIC:

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 26 Nov 2012 16:52 #560137

• kzcurt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
That's the way to do it! Good write up too, sounds like a great day! :cheer:
Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 26 Nov 2012 18:21 #560141

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
great story....keep on
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 26 Nov 2012 20:09 #560146

• ghotrodr
  • User
  • Greg "Hotrod" Raines
  • Thank you received: 2
Just got a call from MC68- to meet to hand off the flag this Friday. I will be taking over at Joplin MO - where is the next handoff???

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 26 Nov 2012 23:18 #560170

• Mac68
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I think it is Snarky30 from the St.Louis area, correct me if i am wrong. Do we need to hit the corner of Kansas while we are really close or is it going thru there later?
Oklahoma
1978 KZ1000 A2
1980 KZ1000 MKII

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 26 Nov 2012 23:26 #560172

• Snarky30
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Am I up already? Awesome! I'm in Maryville, Illinois just across the river from St. Louis. Is there anyone between me and Joplin, MO?
1982 kz440 LTD Belt

Last edit: by Snarky30.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 26 Nov 2012 23:36 #560176

• Mac68
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm meeting ghotrodr in Joplin Friday, he's from Springfield. I'm pretty sure your the next hand off from him.
Oklahoma
1978 KZ1000 A2
1980 KZ1000 MKII

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 27 Nov 2012 03:28 #560202

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Don't know if the flag will make it in time, but the Toys for Tots Parade in Chicago is this Sunday.

I have to work Sunday afternoon, but my buddies and I will probably be there, somewhere on the parade route, in the morning if it's dry.

www.chicagolandtft.org/mainevent.htm

Last edit: by loudhvx.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 27 Nov 2012 05:49 #560204

• TomW
  • TomW's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52

Snarky30 wrote: Am I up already? Awesome! I'm in Maryville, Illinois just across the river from St. Louis. Is there anyone between me and Joplin, MO?

Youre up after ghotrodr from Springfeild, MO. Maybe you can meet him Sat. or Sun. between Springfeild and St. Louis somewhere. 2 moves in a weekemd would be awsome. Next is Readytoride1985, then Rainman. Stay tuned.
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 27 Nov 2012 10:15 #560223

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
I PMed Bert75 a month ago and haven't heard back, he hasn't posted anything since March.

Has anyone talked to crappiehuntr ?
He hasn't posted in almost nine months either .

So when it makes it to Rainman am I the next in line ?
78 KZ1000 A2A

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 27 Nov 2012 14:40 #560237

• justinz830
  • User
Is KS getting moved into leg 4 going south, or will someone try to catch the corner?
1979 KZ650 B3
1979 KZ1000 ST E1

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 27 Nov 2012 15:22 #560241

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
Sorry Justin, I didn't see you on TomW's proposed route, Have you PMed him ?

JD
78 KZ1000 A2A

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 27 Nov 2012 15:45 #560243

• justinz830
  • User
Yeah bluj58, I pm'd him a while back, but I've seen a couple of different things, N0NB and goodfastncheap where talking about meeting somewhere between Marysville, KS and Omaha, NE but I don't know which direction the flag is going if its headed into or already in MO.

Last week's awesome weather spurred the flag further than I thought it would go this year, but I don't know how much longer the weather will hold out, or how fast people want to try to push the flag. I'm also not exactly sure where the flag has already been, if we want to make a new plan, or just roll with it however it works out. It looks like it might be easiest to go through MO, into IL, WI, and then back down in a loop to catch basically everything north of TX. Since the original route got flipped around, I don't think it really matters at all, just as long as we don't miss any states in the end. But it won't be long at all before everyone north of us is froze in for the winter. There were some 70+ degree days in KS last December, but whenever that happens there is usually less than a weeks notice.

I'd also seen a couple guys talking about just keeping it moving through the states with warmer weather through the winter. I guess if we did that we would just see where it is at when the ground thaws, but in that case it needs to get moved back west/south really fast.
1979 KZ650 B3
1979 KZ1000 ST E1

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 27 Nov 2012 15:54 #560244

• Snarky30
  • User
I'll ride whenever you guys need me too, but I'm not totally opposed to waiting until spring to get it. It would be nice to enjoy the ride and not have to wear every piece of winter clothing that I own. It's mid 30's here today, but the forecast says high 60's this weekend and could easily deep into freezing again after that, or who knows, it could go up to 70 for a few weeks like it did last year. (Good ol' Midwest weather)

But like I said, if it's headed towards St. Louis, I'm ready to do my part.
1982 kz440 LTD Belt

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 27 Nov 2012 15:55 #560245

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
I've been reading the posts but not saying anything. I figure if it gets here, fine, if not, I'll live. :D

Even with temps in the 60s, I'm not good for very long--too cold blooded I guess. For me to do much time in the saddle the temp had better be into the 70s or warmer. As I don't ride when cold it's not worth it to buy any cold weather gear so if that means the flag must route around here, so be it. Unfortunately, now that it's cold, I have more time. :pinch:
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Last edit: by N0NB.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 27 Nov 2012 16:52 #560246

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
I feel the same way as Snarky,
quote; I'll ride whenever you guys need me too, but I'm not totally opposed to waiting until spring to get it.

Before I can do a 400 + mile run I need to change the chain / sprockets and new points would be nice among other stuff.
So I'm just getting a little antsy wondering if I need to get that stuff now.

Any way , it's supposed to be nice around here this weekend, Sat. 57 deg. and Sunday in the sixty's
and I'm still doing local rides :cheer:
78 KZ1000 A2A

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 27 Nov 2012 18:00 #560248

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

justinz830 wrote: Is KS getting moved into leg 4 going south, or will someone try to catch the corner?

Call it the southbound half of leg 3. Yes it is being moved. I thought moving the flag to the north east from Oklahoma to Mizzery and toward Chicago would get more riders involved before the weather really gets bad. From Mac68, we go to Snarky30, Readytoride1985, (I hope he WILL be ready) Rainman, Crappiehunter if he's still with us,Bert75,ditto, BlueJ58, who will ride though hell fire to get his hands on that flag, to loudvhx and ajkzbobber in Chicago. From there, I'll take it into Wisconsin to either WendyS in Madison or a rider in Appleton, I can't remember his handle right now. From WI it goes to Minnesota and the Dakotas, then south to Iowa, maybe eastern Nebraska, there's a rider near Omaha, and then into Kansas. Then west to the Rocky Mountain leg. If we can get it into Chicago by theend of the year, the leg 3 riders will have done a tremendous job. Right now this weekend looks like good weather coming up. If Mac68 passes off to ghotrodr on Friday and ghotrodr can connect with Snarky30 Saturday or Sunday, the flag is somewhere near St. Louis the first weekend in December. It seems we should be able to get it to Chicago before the new year. That would be an enormous accomplisment considering the time it took to complete legs 1 and 2.

I'll be in New Mexico for the holidays. Leaving about 12/20 returning about 1/3. If the flag is in Chicago I can go down and get it on the first decent day in January. It wont have to be a weekend, I'm retired and have no life other than riding and wrenching.

I'm still unable to view the Google map, so if I've left someone out, LET ME KNOW! PM me or post to this thread.

I'm damn proud of the job the 3rd leg riders have done so far. Let's keep it moving.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 27 Nov 2012 18:21 #560253

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

Snarky30 wrote: I'll ride whenever you guys need me too, but I'm not totally opposed to waiting until spring to get it. It would be nice to enjoy the ride and not have to wear every piece of winter clothing that I own. It's mid 30's here today, but the forecast says high 60's this weekend and could easily deep into freezing again after that, or who knows, it could go up to 70 for a few weeks like it did last year. (Good ol' Midwest weather)

But like I said, if it's headed towards St. Louis, I'm ready to do my part.

Put on your woolies, it's coming at you like a comet. PM ghotrodr,see if you can meet up with him this weekend.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 27 Nov 2012 18:28 #560254

• Snarky30
  • User

TomW wrote: Put on your woolies, it's coming at you like a comet. PM ghotrodr,see if you can meet up with him this weekend.

I'm ready! Looks like if we can hook up this weekend, it should be high 60's, so I'll try to get ahold of him.
1982 kz440 LTD Belt

Last edit: by Snarky30.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 27 Nov 2012 20:26 #560268

• justinz830
  • User
TomW wrote:

It seems we should be able to get it to Chicago before the new year.

Okay, that's the main thing I was wondering, I'd really love to participate, but I've already started tearing down for my winter project. It's not too far gone, so I could get it back together to ride quick enough if I needed to, but I'm glad it won't be coming south to me until spring. I'm also a little excited If I happen to be on the leg heading over to the rockies! :)
1979 KZ650 B3
1979 KZ1000 ST E1
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 28 Nov 2012 03:03 #560306

• ghotrodr
  • User
  • Greg "Hotrod" Raines
  • Thank you received: 2
I'll be picking up the flag in Joplin Mo Friday at Noon. I wont be able to travel Saturday- but Sunday looks good- I've PMed Snarky30 - awaiting word from him- if possible will meet at the Arch.
Thanx for the Honor- GhotrodR (Greg Hotrod Raines) 1973 Z1 900
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R