TOPIC:

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 22 Feb 2012 18:11 #505686

• TomW
  • TomW's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52

531blackbanshee wrote: tom,
i brought the wife up to speed on the way in to work this morn.

she's all in so when it gets closer we can make definate plans.

we live in skiatook (tulsa area)which is north east oklahoma.

we will be riding a 1980 kawasaki kz1000 z1r.

we can do an over night but probably not two.

thanks for your time.

leon

Thanks for getting back to me, Leon. There's a huge hole in the map between you and Houston where we have 2 riders. Could you get down that way some distance? The next stop after Houston is 848 miles to Albuquerque NM.
Tom
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 22 Feb 2012 18:37 #505689

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
houston is an 8 1/2 hour ride for us.so def. do able.

that sure is a LOT of BAJA OKLAHOMA (we don't recognize texas up here :P ) to cover tho :lol: .

maybe i could meet up with ol' testa down there :) .

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 22 Feb 2012 21:07 #505720

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

531blackbanshee wrote: houston is an 8 1/2 hour ride for us.so def. do able.

that sure is a LOT of BAJA OKLAHOMA (we don't recognize texas up here :P ) to cover tho :lol: .

maybe i could meet up with ol' testa down there :) .

leon[/quote
Baja Oklahoma I like that. :) I'm considering options to that long run down to Houston. Maybe meet gravit8 from Albuqurque in Amarillo or something like that. Then figure out how to get the Houston guys involved. :S Sure is a lot of acreage down there. Makes one think of moving to Connecticut. :woohoo:

Last edit: by TomW.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 22 Feb 2012 21:25 #505725

• moneypit
  • User
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Tom thanks for your coordination of this leg. Im seriously thinking of joining in on this, only Im not much of a long distance rider. Longest trip was 95 miles :pinch: and that was 25 years ago. But Ill do what I can Im in St Paul MN possible pickup from Wisc. and go ?. I know Bearshawk is here somewhere also, maybe we can link up.
Let me know Bob
2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 23 Feb 2012 02:12 #505836

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

moneypit wrote: Hi Tom thanks for your coordination of this leg. Im seriously thinking of joining in on this, only Im not much of a long distance rider. Longest trip was 95 miles :pinch: and that was 25 years ago. But Ill do what I can Im in St Paul MN possible pickup from Wisc. and go ?. I know Bearshawk is here somewhere also, maybe we can link up.
Let me know Bob

Hi Bob,
Bearshawk lives in the Cities area but may be up in Grand Marias MN this summer. He has two pins in the map. Grand Marias is on the tip of the arrowhead, waaay up there. There is also a rider in Thunder Bay Ont. that needs to be reached. We will certainly find a place for you. Thanks for reaching out. This is gonna be a blast.
Tom

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 23 Feb 2012 02:40 #505839

• justinz830
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Just PM'd you Tom, like I said I'm more than willing to go all the way down to OKC, or wherever the Okies want to meet, or drop of on their doorstep.. I'll just be able to do weekends though. I'd also be willing to go into Missouri a ways, but probably not in the same weekend.
1979 KZ650 B3
1979 KZ1000 ST E1

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 08 Mar 2012 18:27 #508598

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
This is a cross-post from the leg2 thread. We needed a bump.
I'll post a route later this evening and put BERT75 and moneypit on the map. I have to go to work now.

We need someone to move to No. Dakota. I was just there last summer and it's a lovely place with lots of work ..... Anybody???? Is anyone listening? We have a huge hole in the Dakotas and in west Texas. Volunteers?
The following user(s) said Thank You: BERT75

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 08 Mar 2012 23:41 #508667

• DaddyJama
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm new to Wisconsin area and new to kz's .. I'm in Oshkosh Appleton area.. So I could help ! Lemme know!
2005 636 - track bike
1982 kz440ltd - new toy;)

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 09 Mar 2012 12:39 #508730

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109

TomW wrote: It seems no one else is doing the coordinating for leg 3 so I'm volunteering. If someone else wants to jump in here, welcome.

I looked at Wendys Facebook page, but got locked out because I'm not registered. I don't do social networking sites. So pm me if you want to participate. I'll be PM'ing those participants in WI MN, IA, KS OK, MO, TX and any other states that might fall into this general corridor. Maybe ND and SD if there is anyone there. I could have done those last summer on my trip west. :S

For a start it looks like Wendy or Double Dub or both could pick up the flags from BlueJ58 (?) at the Illinois border. I could meet them near Madison and carry the flags north to the Twin Cities or further.
Lets get started on leg 3.
Tom

sorry for jumping in late guys. i may have missed something.

does someone have a link to the leg map ? are we still looking at the map on the first post of leg 2 thread? where does leg 2 stop and 3 start ? at bluej58 ?
i just want to be sure i am seeing this correctly.
thanks
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Last edit: by mark1122.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 09 Mar 2012 14:48 #508740

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
So far, I'm receiving the flag from Harm in St. Joseph, Michigan and getting it to some where along the Wisconsin boarder.

Kenosha or Beloit possibly.

JD
78 KZ1000 A2A

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 09 Mar 2012 16:08 #508755

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

mark1122 wrote:

does someone have a link to the leg map ? are we still looking at the map on the first post of leg 2 thread? where does leg 2 stop and 3 start ? at bluej58 ?
thanks

I haven't posted a leg 3 map yet. Frankly I wouldn't know how if I had it completed. There are new people jumping in still and I don't think I've heard from everyone on the big map. Be patient, I'll get a preliminary route planned today.

So far it looks like WendyS picks up the flag from BlueJ58 near Beloit. Then I meet WendyS and carry it north toward the Twin Cities. Moneypit takes it up to bearshawk at Grand Marias who takes it up to The Canadian border to hand off to bekz, who is in Thunder Bay, Ont. a turn-around the frozen north and then back south. Hopefully we can find a willing soul to scoot over to the Dakotas to put them on the flag. Then on to Iowa and I don't know who yet.

Stay tuned to this thread for more breaking updates.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 09 Mar 2012 16:57 #508760

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

DaddyJama wrote: I'm new to Wisconsin area and new to kz's .. I'm in Oshkosh Appleton area.. So I could help ! Lemme know!

Could you push that 440 up to Green Bay? I'd like to see the flag in a picture at Lambeau Field. I'd probably ride along, do a hand-off there.

Welcome aboard, you're in.

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 09 Mar 2012 19:26 #508772

• DaddyJama
  • User

TomW wrote:

DaddyJama wrote: I'm new to Wisconsin area and new to kz's .. I'm in Oshkosh Appleton area.. So I could help ! Lemme know!

Could you push that 440 up to Green Bay? I'd like to see the flag in a picture at Lambeau Field. I'd probably ride along, do a hand-off there.

Welcome aboard, you're in.

for sure... and thanx..

is there a way to mark on the map where the flag is? i opened the google map and theres a lot of blue dots there
maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=21053298151...=45.151548,93.076172
2005 636 - track bike

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 09 Mar 2012 20:22 #508778

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109

bluej58 wrote: So far, I'm receiving the flag from Harm in St. Joseph, Michigan and getting it to some where along the Wisconsin boarder.

Kenosha or Beloit possibly.

JD

ok thats cool. i'm just thinking of the end part of our ontario run . I wanted to make sure i am passing on the right info to new joiners. were all good.
Thanks.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 09 Mar 2012 20:27 #508779

• Link14
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
[quote="TomW" post=508755 Hopefully we can find a willing soul to scoot over to the Dakotas to put them on the flag. Then on to Iowa and I don't know who yet.

Stay tuned to this thread for more breaking updates.[/quote]

Hey Tom,

I might be able to dip my toe over the South Dakota line toward the end of Leg #4 if that helps.

Link

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 09 Mar 2012 20:47 #508781

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

TomW wrote:

mark1122 wrote:

thanks

I haven't posted a leg 3 map yet. Frankly I wouldn't know how if I had it completed. There are new people jumping in still and I don't think I've heard from everyone on the big map. Be patient, I'll get a preliminary route planned today.

So far it looks like WendyS picks up the flag from BlueJ58 near Beloit. Then I meet WendyS and carry it north toward the Twin Cities. Moneypit takes it up to bearshawk at Grand Marias who takes it up to The Canadian border to hand off to bekz, who is in Thunder Bay, Ont. a turn-around the frozen north and then back south. Hopefully we can find a willing soul to scoot over to the Dakotas to put them on the flag. Then on to Iowa and I don't know who yet.

Stay tuned to this thread for more breaking updates.

We have a new guy in WI. :cheer:

WendyS/DoubleDub picks up the flag from BlueJ58 on the WI/IL border. I meet one/both of them somewhere between Madison and West Bend and ride up to the Fox Valley and meet DaddyJama. We ride together up to Green Bay for a photo op. Then go west to hand off to moneypit/bearshawk from the Minneapolis area. They/he goes north to get the flag up to bekz in Thunder Bay, Ont. Then the flag has to backtrack into the States and down to IA. I hope moneypit or bearshawk can get the flag into N&S Dakota. Crappiehuntr takes the flag to Bert75 who takes it to rainman who meets with readytoride1985/Snarky30 from the St. Louis area. JustinZ830 meets readytoride/snarky in west central MO. and gets the flag to Mac68 in NE OK area. Mac68 meets 531blackbanshee who goes on to meet OKC_Kent. From Oklahoma City the flag goes south to hook up with either WABBMW or BSKZ650 from Houston. One of the Houston riders needs to touch a toe in LA. From Houston it's an 850 mile run to gravit8 in Albuqurque, NM. USPS or Fed-X may get a call here. gravit8 is the first rider on the western leg.

This is all very preliminary. If I have missed anyone I apologize and please let me know. I'll include everyone who wants to participate. Please get in touch with the riders who you will meet on both pick-up and drop off ends of your segment. You know your local roads better than I so plan you routes and meeting places together and post them here. Also communicate with other participants in your area. Riding with someone is a lot more fun and safer than riding alone. I hope we can make this leg a lot of fun with a lot of pictures. We should probably keep most of our communications in this thread so all participants can view the planning going on.

There are some long segments on this leg. Some butts are bound to get sore before the flags reach California. If everyone pulls together we'll get it done, no problem.

Keep in touch.
Tom

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 09 Mar 2012 21:34 #508785

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
[quote="TomW" I'd like to see the flag in a picture at Lambeau Field. I'd probably ride along, do a hand-off there [/quote]

That settles it, now I have to go to Chicago and ride Lake Shore Drive past Soldier Field :P

JD
78 KZ1000 A2A

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 09 Mar 2012 23:58 #508811

• DaddyJama
  • User
some kind of way, for all that make it up through here...we will have to take the long way through the kettle moraine area.. depending on weather, it's a very nice scenic tour with lots of twisties and woodsy area.. it will prob be a nice break from highways.. it's about 25 mins west of fondu lac, which is midway between madison and oshkosh..

food for thought..

looking forward to it! I just got my tank mounted an hour ago..i still have to sort something out with seat..;) currently it's a metal pan

BA
2005 636 - track bike

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 10 Mar 2012 01:32 #508830

• Mine20
  • User
  • Metric Maniac
I'm in San Antonio, TX and not sure how many miles. Bike is still being put together, cafe style so not sure how comfy it's gonna be. I can do overnight. It would be a weekend thing for me. I know SA is off the beaten path but let me know if I can do anything to assist.
2007 Honda Shadow Custom
1978 Kawasaki kz650c2 cafe project
1979 Kawasaki 650sr possible bobber project

KZ North American Relay Ride-Leg 3 10 Mar 2012 01:50 #508834

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

bluej58 wrote: [quote="TomW" I'd like to see the flag in a picture at Lambeau Field. I'd probably ride along, do a hand-off there

That settles it, now I have to go to Chicago and ride Lake Shore Drive past Soldier Field :P

JD[/quote]

Be sure to get some pictures. I'd like to meet you down there but riding a bike with Wisconsin tags near Soldier Field might be hazardous to my health. :woohoo: