Safety...at what price?

More
27 Jul 2011 13:30 #465287 by clickster
Safety...at what price? was created by clickster
Went for a ride yesterday and saw a sight that is becoming more and more common. This fella was in my rear view riding a big touring bike with the headlight that constantly cycles between highbeam and low beam. It was very annoying and I can imagine how oncoming traffic felt about it. I had a quick stop to make so I didn't have to endure long. As he passed I noticed he was wearing an optic yellow jacket and pants with reflective tape sewn all over it. This thing is so bright I'm pretty sure it can be seen from space! Really fella, if you are so scared then what is the point of riding!!!

I started riding on the road when I was sixteen because I enjoyed the excitement of being on a small quick vehicle. I'm 49 now and still ride for the same reason. I grew up in Oregon but have lived all over the US and spendt about half my adult life in Europe. I have always owned a motorcycle and have toured on some of the fastest and most dangerous roads in the world (try Amsterdam traffic in late afternoon or Boston during the mid-90s) so I know the dangers of the sport. But it is a sport, not just a way to get around, and each rider has a responsibility to develope the skills to deal with the dangers out on the road. I don't think wrapping yourself in optic yellow, refelective tape and flashing lights is the answer, you just look like a freak.

I cannot understand these super-safety-freaks.

'79 LTD 1000
'69 BMW R50 (previous)
'84 ZX900 Ninja (previous)
'81 Honda CBX (previous)
'79 KZ1000 (previous)
CSR 305 (previous)
Bigfork, Montana

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
27 Jul 2011 14:08 #465299 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Safety...at what price?
I agree with you clickster. If you think bright clothing will make you safe, when is it bright ENOUGH?

Fortunately those modulated headlights have off switches. I would never tolerate on in my rearview mirror for very long.

Safety on a bike has a number of dimensions, going too far with anyone of them would ruin the sport for me as well.

Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
27 Jul 2011 14:29 #465308 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Safety...at what price?
I haven't always been the most safety minded person out there, but one thing has always really gotten to me, tailgating. I hate tailgating! When I see someone doing it, or when someone is right on my tail.
I used to ride a LOT of highway miles, and on the interstate, doing 75 or so, that's the last place I want someone right on me. So I rigged up a flamethrower for my exhaust. ;)
On my way up 95, this car was so close to my rear end, that I swear he could've smelled what octane fuel I was using. Traffic sucked, so there was nowhere for me to go or to let him pass me, so doing the afore mentioned 75mph, I hit the button for my flamethrower. I tell ya, all 4 lanes of 95 slowed down. They all kept about an 8th of a mile behind me for a good 20 minutes. ;) Gave me plenty of time and distance to safely get out of their way.
I promise though, no flamethrower on my KZ.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
27 Jul 2011 14:56 #465322 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Safety...at what price?
Wow, as much as I enjoy the thought of a flamethrower for preventing tailgaters I wouldn't go there. Considering the current climate amongst law enforcement, it's sure to land you in jail. Heck, you might wind up at gitmo for something like that nowadays.

I think the most important piece of safety equipment any motorcyclist should have resides between his ears. Don't forget to bring it with you when you go. I have had more that one close call in my pickup truck due to a motorist that didn't see me. It's 20' long and weighs 5500 lbs. I don't care what color your jacket is, if they aren't looking, they aren't seeing. That's one thing that drives me crazy with all the dark window tint these days. You can't make eye contact with another driver.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kidkawie

More
27 Jul 2011 19:27 #465371 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Safety...at what price?
One thing I have learned about common sense is, it aint real common!:(
There is a lot of people who compensate the lack of it with gadgetry and it doesn't work. The older I get the more safety oriented I get but I am not getting any reflective clothing yet.:P
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
27 Jul 2011 21:13 #465394 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Safety...at what price?
I've had about 5 close calls within the last three weeks. The worst happened while I was at a redlight: the light turned green, I started to enter the intersection, saw movement out of the corner of my eye and slammed on the brakes (only going about 5 mph at that point- I was lucky I didn't gun it like I do too often). Some SOB FLEW through the intersection at 55+ mph (it's 45 mph in that part of town), the light was red well before he entered the intersection. This part of town has long blocks with lights that aren't smart (they constantly cycle and do not have magnetic sensors, so if you catch a red, you'll be there for longer than you'd want.), and I've seen more than a comfortable number of jackass blatantly run red lights, not just floor it to beat the yellow, I'm talking balls-to-the-wall running a red light just so they wouldn't have to wait, because they are obviously the most important people on the road in a 50-mile radius. Those incidents (or lack thereof), really got to me, a lot more than any other incidents- what if he had t-boned me? I figured the best case scenario would be for me to have lost my left leg and the bike would have been totaled.

Which reminds me, I was so pissed off I was going to write a letter to the chief of police around here and forgot to do it.

Dear Redlands Police:

Start enforcing the god damn traffic laws before someone gets killed.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
28 Jul 2011 01:02 #465446 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Safety...at what price?
I'll agree, the strobing lights are anoying to say the least. I'd never run one. The bright clothing may or may not have any merit. I don't mind it. If you watch out close to other drivers, you are going to avoid 99% plus of the idiots, the remaining 1% is the problem, but I don't think color of clothing, flashing lights or a siren will ever dent their idiot level. Idiot will be idiot, and there are some out there, which is where you need to concentrate to stay alive for a long motorcycling life.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
28 Jul 2011 10:20 #465498 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Safety...at what price?
I ride all black in cool weather but the mfg of the jacket has those piping's that look black during the day but at night when headlights hit them they glow bright white, didn't know it until someone took a photo of me on the bike at night. I ride like a pilot on a mission in enemy territory, looking in every direction for something coming to take me out. I've seen where every color helmet, jacket and bike gets hit so it may help but it won't guarantee it, to each their own. I used to have a yellow helmet but that was more from taste that safety.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

More
28 Jul 2011 11:35 #465507 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Safety...at what price?

KZ_Rage wrote: I ride like a pilot on a mission in enemy territory, looking in every direction for something coming to take me out.

Exactly the way I ride also.

KD9JUR

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
28 Jul 2011 11:51 #465508 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Safety...at what price?
I don't agree that motorcycling is only a sport:
For some it IS a sport, others an economical and quick way to commute, and for others it's a way of life. IMHO there isn't one clear definition of motorcycling that applies to everyone - different models, different riding styles, different age ranges of riders, etc, etc.

I totally agree with the views on over-the-top safety gear. What's more disturbing is when riders wearing their flashy safety vest/helmet/jacket think it is going to automatically protect them from anything and everything.
It's easier to just NOT rely on the other drivers on the road to be looking out for you, YOU need to look out for yourself.
For me, I simply treat every driver on the road like they are out to ruin my ride. It's kept me alive so far, and I tend to ride in a "spirited" fashion. :whistle: ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
28 Jul 2011 12:07 #465510 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Safety...at what price?

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
28 Jul 2011 12:13 #465511 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Safety...at what price?
Those flashing headlights are ****ing annoying! Just leaave the high beam on!

I saw a touring HD with one of those, I think it might give a false sense of security to the rider. Him thinking "I have all this bright crap everyone will see me, that means I can chillax and ride with no worries."

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125