Tire coming off bead while riding!!!!

More
05 Apr 2011 23:35 #442894 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Tire coming off bead while riding!!!!
I don't get it really. A tubeless tire is either seated or not, no grey area. If it's not on correctly it won't hold air for 30 seconds, and once on it isn't coming off on its own even if the tire goes flat. So, glad it wasn't any worse than it was, but the whole thing having tubeless tires break loose of a tubeless wheel is not something that happens generally, and using the wrong lube, not removing the core, none of this matters $0.02 once the tire is seated, it's there forever. So whatever it was is very unusual. The main cause of rapid loss of air in a tubeless tire is using an old valve stem that breaks off and air escapes, but even then the tire won't come off the wheel. Definately sorry about the accident, hope it gets figured out soon. I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2011 23:48 #442899 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Tire coming off bead while riding!!!!
I've seen car tires that were mounted balanced, put on a car and the customer drove for a couple of days and came back with a vibration. The tire was holding when it heated up you could physically see where the bead was coming off of the bead and put the tire out of balance. It's not a common thing but it can happen. I'm sure that if they would've kept driving the car like it was the tire more than likely would've come off of the the bead. Just my 2ยข

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
06 Apr 2011 00:00 #442905 by jordan
Replied by jordan on topic Tire coming off bead while riding!!!!
I will take it to the local shop and have them check the rim, tire, new valvestem, and maybe a new tire. It was a scary few experiences and i dont want it to happen again. Thank you all for your info

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400

More
11 Apr 2011 02:46 #444009 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Tire coming off bead while riding!!!!

RonKZ650 wrote: I don't get it really. A tubeless tire is either seated or not, no grey area. If it's not on correctly it won't hold air for 30 seconds, and once on it isn't coming off on its own even if the tire goes flat. So, glad it wasn't any worse than it was, but the whole thing having tubeless tires break loose of a tubeless wheel is not something that happens generally, and using the wrong lube, not removing the core, none of this matters $0.02 once the tire is seated, it's there forever. So whatever it was is very unusual. The main cause of rapid loss of air in a tubeless tire is using an old valve stem that breaks off and air escapes, but even then the tire won't come off the wheel. Definately sorry about the accident, hope it gets figured out soon. I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone.

Not true Ron, that's why there is an indicator ridge around the circumference of the tire so you can verify the bead is seated. Whenever someone complains of a wheel vibration the first thing I do is eyeball that ridge to verify the bead is seated. Go talk to a "real" tire guy, they will verify it.

KD9JUR

More
11 Apr 2011 13:52 #444073 by RonKZ650
True enough, I always look at the indicator closely, also another good idea is to put the wheel on an axle and spin it and make sure the tire goes around without bobbing up/down or sideways. Better to check out before mounting on the bike.

More
11 Apr 2011 15:42 #444089 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Tire coming off bead while riding!!!!
Also, maybe the GS wheels need tubes? I know some early KZ rims did.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

• Stu Pidasole
  • User
  • if you aint mod'n, you aint rock'n!
More
11 Apr 2011 16:12 #444095 by Stu Pidasole
Replied by Stu Pidasole on topic Tire coming off bead while riding!!!!
i would take it back to whoever mounted it and tell them what happened while i inserted my foot up thier ass. glad to hear you and your friend are ok.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
11 Apr 2011 16:21 #444097 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Tire coming off bead while riding!!!!
i dont think hes that flexable! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
14 Apr 2011 20:15 #444640 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Tire coming off bead while riding!!!!
I also have a 1983 GS 1100 E. You need to run tubes, the wheels ARE NOT tubeless type. Suzuki didn't switch over to tubeless wheels until 1~2 years later. Put tubes in both tires!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

More
15 Apr 2011 00:31 #444699 by RonKZ650
Looks like the answer has been discovered. Bikebandit.com confirm tube use in 1983 still on a GS1100E. Suzuki way behind times.

More
15 Apr 2011 01:41 #444705 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Tire coming off bead while riding!!!!
Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally!! A thread I can link to when I go into one of my "Never run without tubes on a tube type wheel!" rants. :P

KD9JUR

More
15 Apr 2011 07:44 #444717 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tire coming off bead while riding!!!!

Attachment tubevtubelessrimtxt.JPG not found

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: