Engine Case Cleaning

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
20 Dec 2010 16:13 #417937 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Engine Case Cleaning
+1 on both of those, i didnt bead my cases cause i didnt need to, if I were going to I would totally disassemble IMO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gearheadmm
  • User
  • MUCH MORE BOOST..........I mean BRAVO
More
24 Dec 2010 18:59 - 24 Dec 2010 19:02 #418501 by gearheadmm
Replied by gearheadmm on topic Engine Case Cleaning
Try MEDIA blasting! The plastic media dosn't ruin the surface finish. If its not cutting the paint or corrosion tell the blaster to turn up the presure, you'll have to buy the media because it ruins it but it works great, especaily if your not going to paint them. When I had mine done his compressor must have had some form of acid in it because something started eating my cases. Good thing I recognized it imediately and neutralized it with bakingsoda or they would've been a gonner.

General Joeseph Dunford FOR PRESIDENT!!!
69.46.28.106/forum/11-projects/413221-80-kz-1000-st-recycled
Last edit: 24 Dec 2010 19:02 by gearheadmm.

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
25 Dec 2010 03:29 #418549 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic Engine Case Cleaning
Plastic media doesn't leave near the finish of glass. If you plan on painting it use plastic, it leaves the surface rather dark and chalky in comparison to glass. I had to have mine blasted a second time because the guy that blasted it wanted to use plastic first and see what I thought of it. When he used the glass it came out almost looking very nice, relatively shiny and fairly smooth.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
25 Dec 2010 04:40 - 25 Dec 2010 04:49 #418553 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Engine Case Cleaning
Glass beading KZ motors if perfectly fine if you use a proper flushing process. I do it all the time and have never had any issues with plugged oil passages.

To those who say you can't get all the glass out, I say

Just use good common sense when flushing the motor. Arm yourself with simple green, garden hose, brake cleaner and a good strong compressor with a big blow gun.

There are some car heads I wouldn't glass bead these days but would definitely soda blast them.
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Dec 2010 04:49 by larrycavan.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
25 Dec 2010 05:45 #418559 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Engine Case Cleaning
I like the hogwash o meter but one minor problem, the half truth section should be twice its size, and the sure thang should be about half of its size, that would more accurately reflect the reliability of what people tell u these days