First time storing a bike for winter

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
05 Dec 2010 06:54 #415428 by Topper
First time storing a bike for winter was created by Topper
So I've drained the gas out of the tank and carb float bowls. I assume I should pull the battery out before parking it in the shed under its cover.

Anything else I should do before storing my bike for winter?

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2010 12:53 #415671 by gane
Replied by gane on topic First time storing a bike for winter
Topper, Put gas back in tank. It'll keep possible rust from forming. if (like many) your' suspicious about stabile or it's ilk either don't use it, or don't allow it into carbs. if you have a center stand, use it. do a oil change. ( the by-products of combustion in used oil are acidic & can cause etching. pull your battery & store in a cool (not freezing) environ & trikle charge peroidicaly. wash & wax plastic & chrome paying attenton to dead bugs. (they also are acidic ) lube your chain. The tight bend around C/S spkt is the prime culpret of "tight spots" after prolonged storage. Silkolene offers a "protect-all " spray which keeps seat materials from drying (purpotedly)which we use on watercraft here at the shop on units we store. luck G.

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Dec 2010 13:32 #415683 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic First time storing a bike for winter
Thanks! I changed the oil a couple weeks ago, should I change it again?

The tank was recently lined with red kote to stop a pinhole leak, then it was painted. It hasn't had gas in it since. I'm not opposed to putting gas and some sort of stabilizer in there, just want to know what's best. Given that it's lined and dry should I still gas it up?

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
06 Dec 2010 14:01 - 06 Dec 2010 14:03 #415687 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic First time storing a bike for winter
Personally, I like to have the tank dry, but ONLY after I use Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer in the tank. Run the bike for at least 15 minutes so the stabilizer gets into all the metering orifices in the carbs. Then drain the carbs and if you so desire, leave the fuel in the tank. Trust me on this, Sta-Bil is a great product.

You have already drained your carbs but there will still be untreated fuel in the jets and passages that WILL go soul very quickly. If you add the stabilizer to the tank, run the bike for 15 minutes and then drain the carbs you'll be sure to have no problems starting the bike come spring.

I've been using this technique for 25 years and the bike never fails to start right up in the spring. Add all the things that gane told you and you have a happy bike!

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada
Last edit: 06 Dec 2010 14:03 by TerryK.

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Dec 2010 18:25 #415721 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic First time storing a bike for winter
That sounds pretty reasonable. If I'm going to gas it up and put fuel stabilizer in there, I think I'll probably leave the gas in it over the winter. Who knows, maybe a warm weekend will crop up and then I'll be ready for a ride!

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
16 Dec 2010 21:10 - 16 Dec 2010 21:11 #417342 by gnfreak
Replied by gnfreak on topic First time storing a bike for winter
i started using the marine Sta-Bil(green)last winter. Think i read somewhere that it was better for ethanol blended gas. didnt have any trouble starting the bike last spring. didnt have any trouble using the old pink sta-bil in years past though. didn't cost that much more if i remember correctly.

Normal, IL
1980 KZ1000-G1 Classic - Sold
Last edit: 16 Dec 2010 21:11 by gnfreak.