Winterizing Options

More
01 Dec 2010 06:34 #414920 by benjia
Winterizing Options was created by benjia
I know most people just keep gas in the tank and just put stabil in.
I was just wondering if draining the gas from the tank and carbs/float bowls is an option or would it cause some unwanted results in the spring?

thanks

ben

Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2010 07:04 #414923 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Winterizing Options
I've done both ways. Only once did the Stabil thing and it didn't work. It was way back in around 1985 so don't remember the specifics, but ran the treated gas and got it in the carbs and the motorcycle sat for several months, around 7 or 8 months. At this time it had carbs that were all varnished up and the jets were clogged, so what good did Stabil do? Zero. After this lesson from then on out I drain the carbs. If you're going for winter storage only there is no need to do anything to the gas in the tank, it won't go stale, just drain the carbs. Storage over 1 yr drain the tank and carbs. I've stored as long as 10 yrs and never had a problem. Here in Colorado it's dry as dry can be though so we have no problem with corrosion or rust and the like while stored, so results may vary in humid climates.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
01 Dec 2010 08:19 #414930 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Winterizing Options
That's why I love two strokes. The carbs will never varnish because of the premix.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125