New Pro Stock Record

• kzz1p
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
29 Nov 2010 20:06 #414750 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic New Pro Stock Record
timebomb33 wrote:

it was L.E's brother G.T that used to ride for v&H and the tonglets still get theie motors from vance and hines so i guess you could say they got beat by their own motors.

Remember when VHR sold motors Guaanteed to run a couple hundredths off the world record. All you needed to do was uncreate it, install it and run it. They have never hidden their technology from anyone. If they got beat by their own motor......They could of been in the pits, helping to tune it, thats how they roll.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kzz1p
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Nov 2010 20:13 #414751 by kzz1p
Becker wrote:

I haven't really ever followed the pro stock scene but If I'm correct the suzuki's are the GS1000 motors right?? Hemispherical chambers with 2 valve heads right??

I guess I just can't understand any appeal to race pro-stock. Especially since one manufacturer has such a huge advantage.

We are mainly talking about the GS1100, with the four valve head. They use an after market head, with ports big enough to stick your fist in.

The manufacturer advantage chances once in a while. Before the Harleys, the suzuki had the advantage with the four valve after market head.

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
29 Nov 2010 20:29 #414754 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic New Pro Stock Record
Oh ya I think I remember kevin cameron writing an article about that when the harleys were allowed to run bigger engines. Interesting.

So here is a challenge to you kzz1p how are pro-stock guys advancing bike technology?? An air cooled 4-cylinder and a v-twin with push rods?? Not exactly cutting edge technology. I know they have been going faster and faster but that should happen after years of development.

Why aren't there newer bikes competing?? Why not run a pro-stock haybusa, zx14 or even liter class bikes??

I'm not trying to be a dick I swear I just don't know much about prostock and these are things I've always wondered.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2010 03:48 - 30 Nov 2010 04:33 #414775 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic New Pro Stock Record
The question was "who will be the first to hit 200MPH"?

Think about it B)

The answer isn't as tied to the tuners as it is tied to NHRA officials ;)

There in lies the joke.....

When / if the class is ever truly setup so that engine types compete against each other in a class, then it's worth keeping track of such records and interesting to follow the progress.

This whole PS motorcycle class, that currently has few followers could potentially be a very exciting format again.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2010 04:33 by larrycavan.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2010 03:53 - 30 Nov 2010 04:34 #414776 by larrycavan
kzz1p wrote:

Becker wrote:

I haven't really ever followed the pro stock scene but If I'm correct the suzuki's are the GS1000 motors right?? Hemispherical chambers with 2 valve heads right??

I guess I just can't understand any appeal to race pro-stock. Especially since one manufacturer has such a huge advantage.

We are mainly talking about the GS1100, with the four valve head. They use an after market head, with ports big enough to stick your fist in.

The manufacturer advantage chances once in a while. Before the Harleys, the suzuki had the advantage with the four valve after market head.

Oh :unsure: which head would that be?
Last edit: 30 Nov 2010 04:34 by larrycavan.

• kzz1p
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Nov 2010 11:36 #414829 by kzz1p
Becker wrote:

Oh ya I think I remember kevin cameron writing an article about that when the harleys were allowed to run bigger engines. Interesting.

So here is a challenge to you kzz1p how are pro-stock guys advancing bike technology?? An air cooled 4-cylinder and a v-twin with push rods?? Not exactly cutting edge technology. I know they have been going faster and faster but that should happen after years of development.

Why aren't there newer bikes competing?? Why not run a pro-stock haybusa, zx14 or even liter class bikes??

I'm not trying to be a dick I swear I just don't know much about prostock and these are things I've always wondered.

Performance technology be it car or motorcycle, has always came from racers and home tuners. The factories pump them out and we take them home and change them. It's the common people that come up with the new bars, big bore kits, cams, wheels, oversize fuel injection systems, exhaust pipe design, Port design, etc, etc!
It's the racers that came up with Ti valves, cam timing, Valve guides, and other performance parts that last for years. The days of blowing up motors due to part failure are over. Now days we have motors that will go all season, without being rebuilt. I won't even go into what the roadracers have added to the mix.

Really it's kinda a battle. We see their technology and change it, they see our technology and change it. I think the factories are on the better end of the profit stick.(a little off topic for a second) The new electric cars! Some of the best being built are from home tuners. Have you seen some of the trick motors, they are modifing? Cool stuff!

This is the first time in history anyone has been able to walk into a harley shop and buy, a drag bike off the show room floor with a slick and wheelie bar, ready to race.

The NHRA flys by it's own rules. I would guess there are a couple of reasons for using the older motors. Anyone can go to the NHRA and ask for a rule change. Thats how they got things like After market cases, heads, frames, and on an on. Why re-tool when you have stuff that works.
When you run the motor for less then 7 sec.@ one set RPM, why would anyone want to carry water? I think my best answer would be! If the teams wanted them, they would put up the money and have them. The NHRA is no different then NASCAR. Every year NASCAR decides who gets witch areo package. They alway want to control what they think is fair??? Everytime the teams go faster, they pass a rule to slow them down......I think it's crap myself. Leave them alone and let them run, what they brung!

The newer bikes totally stomp everyone in the lower classes and a few the top fuel ranks. The main newer bike, in Pro stock was the Muzzey bike.

Here's where I think the newer bikes shoot themseleves in the foot. In the past they kept the same motor design for years. Now days it is always changing. Some companies & Teams don't want to keep putting up, the R&D money to stay on top of things. It takes them years to develope a good motor package. The Factories don't put up sponsorship money. The only real sponsored teams have been suzuki, Harley & maybe Buell?

I agree they don't look like a street bike, run like a street bike or ride like a street bike. They are simply the most power you can get out of a motor on gasoline, thats it. It doesn't matter if it's two or four cylinders, who would of ever dreamed we would be near 200 mph on gasoline? Hell, it was a big deal when they did it on fuel, and with a supercharger.

When I look back at the times & speeds that the Z1's ran, in the 70's-80's, I laugh! We can run that now with a big bore, Z street bike. We can go faster then that with a new sport bike off the show floor.

It's all a rich man's sport! We learn a lot from their money.....I would like to see them run, with a stock back tire! They run with a car slick and still have problems, putting the power to the ground.

Maybe the biggest thing we learn from racing is, what not to do too a motor.

We are always trying to guess what the factories will do next? You best believe they are closely watching, what the racers do......I would, it's free for them!

• Becker
  • User
More
30 Nov 2010 14:26 #414849 by Becker
I agree that racing is where manufacturers gain all of there expertise but I don't see Pro-stock being a place where the manufacturers are learning anything. The technology is just to old to be put toward todays sportbikes. Roadracing seems to have followed the technological progress that the manufacturers make every year. Why hasn't pro-stock followed??

I guess I've just been disappointed by drag racing lately. It seems that if the AMA boys are pushing 200 down the straight on a bike that is made to turn and be run for more then 7 seconds at a time then why can't the dragracers who have monstrous tires, bigger engines, and much better straight line stability.

I'm sure they are doing the best with what they've got but maybe its time to get something else. Just look at the dirt oval kawasakis. They decided to try something new and they are really starting to kick some harley ass with a motor that is 100cc's less.

Once again I could be wrong I'm not very into pro-stock. I just don't see the appeal.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
01 Dec 2010 16:49 #414966 by larrycavan
Imagine being a factory engineer for a minute. I'm amazed at what they come up with and make it pass emissions standards while satisfying the fickle public.

The big player in racing these days is electronics. It controls the fuel delivery, the timing, traction....etc. Data acquisition is what allows race teams to move forward.

In a class as tight as ProStock Motorcycle, you need to know what's going on with the bike at all times to make progress.

Give the factory engineers the latitude of no restrictions and no liabilities....then stand back and watch them really got to town :)

As it is now, they bottle up the power available in the big bore bikes to prevent people from getting hurt at their expense.

This isn't meant to take anything away from the race tuners but just to point out that the factory engineers are not a bunch of second rate hacks.

More
01 Dec 2010 19:55 #415000 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic New Pro Stock Record

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Becker
  • User
More
02 Dec 2010 00:35 #415019 by Becker
That gives me an idea Larry. It'd be kinda fun to see a class where the bikes are stock, save for swingarm and rear wheel, and the only thing they can play with is the electronics. It'd be way cheaper because electronics require what to change?? A computer program and a lap top??

The manufacturers would be able to benefit more from those kinds of advancements too. Maybe the manufacturers would even sell their own program that would open up the computers so they can be tuned.

But I guess dream in one hand, shit in the other...

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
02 Dec 2010 05:19 #415024 by larrycavan
I would like to see a professional class where the bikes can compete again without teams needing mega-money.

Would be great to see more brands competing every week. It could be done but it's not likely to happen in drag racing on a professional level. :)