Should I buy it?

More
07 Nov 2010 14:47 #411524 by Exodus5
Should I buy it? was created by Exodus5
Just went today to look at a 1981 KZ1000 this local kid has. 24K miles, in acceptable shape. Repainted at some point (non-original) and had a little rust on the exhaust pipe and some on the frame but not too bad. Rear air shocks did not give at all. Not sure if one or both are locked or if it's just too much air in the shocks. The kid tried to fix a gas leak and ended up changing orings in the bowls. Fixed the leak but didn't sync the carbs. Also appears to be leaking from the head gaskets. Bike idled after warming up at 2000rpm. Needs tires also. He was asking $1300, but I'm thinking I'm looking at about $500-600 for all the things I need to do. I'm thinking of offering $600. Is the bike worth more than that? I'm new to these and I expected to have to do a little but $1300 seems to be the going price in "good" condition and this one needs several things.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2010 15:09 #411527 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Should I buy it?
If you decide to buy the bike, here's a factory shop manual for the Kz1000 and Kz1100:
www.kawiworld.com/index.php?option=com_c...icle&id=77&Itemid=99

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
07 Nov 2010 15:17 #411530 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Should I buy it?
Exodus5 wrote:

Just went today to look at a 1981 KZ1000 this local kid has. 24K miles, in acceptable shape. Repainted at some point (non-original) and had a little rust on the exhaust pipe and some on the frame but not too bad. Rear air shocks did not give at all. Not sure if one or both are locked or if it's just too much air in the shocks. The kid tried to fix a gas leak and ended up changing orings in the bowls. Fixed the leak but didn't sync the carbs. Also appears to be leaking from the head gaskets. Bike idled after warming up at 2000rpm. Needs tires also. He was asking $1300, but I'm thinking I'm looking at about $500-600 for all the things I need to do. I'm thinking of offering $600. Is the bike worth more than that? I'm new to these and I expected to have to do a little but $1300 seems to be the going price in "good" condition and this one needs several things.

if it needs what u think it does it probably has a few hidden surprises, happened to me once, i wouldnt go much more than what u said, I mean ur lookin at that for tires and repairs on what is obvious, besides right now ITS A BUYERS MARKET