winterizing question - want to remove carbs?

More
29 Oct 2010 13:37 #409791 by apbling
1980 750 LTD 4 cylinder.
The winter season is around the corner and I need to think winterize my bike. Now I do the usual stabil, drain the carbs, pull the battery, take it off the tires etc....

BUT, the last time I took my carbs off my fuel filter was plugged with rusty crap from the tank. The last time I rode it began to stutter a bit like it was being starved for gas, so I assume that damn filter is plugged again and the tank will need some attention... I'm toying with the idea of pulling the carbs now, cleaning them and letting them sit on the shelf til spring and then take care of the tank then and re-assemble everything. I'm thinking this might be a good idea because I suspect crap being in the carbs and want to clean it out before it takes a more permanent residence there. But I worry about the rubber pieces and intake boots shrinking a bunch because they wouldn't be on the carbs.... any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2010 14:11 - 29 Oct 2010 14:12 #409799 by JR
The past 6 years I have taken my carbs off and kept them inside in a rubbermaid box until Spring when I took em apart, cleaned and rebuilt them. Never had a problem. I dont think I'll bother this year as I am getting old and lazy.

I would stuff plastic bags in the engine intakes to keep out small critters and insects. If you have an airbox you could seal it up. More than one rider has found mice nesting in the airbox in Spring :laugh:

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 29 Oct 2010 14:12 by JR.

More
29 Oct 2010 21:03 #409853 by swapdip
Replied by swapdip on topic winterizing question - want to remove carbs?
Don't worry about your carb boots, they can be warmed up real quick with a hair dryer come spring time. In theory, having the carbs off ought to be better for them, less stress on the rubber inducing cracks. If it concerns you, it should be a relatively easy matter to remove the rubber boots as well and keep them in the same climate-controlled environment as the carbs, yes?

Me, I never bother. Just get them good and clean, drain the carbs, and they are usually pretty good to go when they come out of storage. But then again I only ride rats, haha.

More
30 Oct 2010 04:20 #409892 by ace
yes i too was wonderin if there were any tips for both long and short term storage....78 kz 1000

78kz1000

More
02 Nov 2010 20:12 #410512 by JR
ace wrote:

yes i too was wonderin if there were any tips for both long and short term storage....78 kz 1000

Check out the filebase here.
Put your mouse over the KZ Information tab above, then click on Filebase, Then scroll down and select "Not Model Specific"
Or for a shortcut go to
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...w&gid=231&Itemid=108

Lots of great information in the filebase..

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
03 Nov 2010 06:56 - 03 Nov 2010 06:59 #410558 by JMKZHI
When putting my bike in mothballs years ago, I did a general lubrication first: oil change, carb linkage, cables, brake pedal, etc. I removed the carbs, wrapped them in a heavy towel, & put them in a wooden wine crate. Then I plugged the carb holders w rubber plugs & stuffed rags in the airbox holes. I also sprayed wd40* into the spark plug holes & into the mufflers, then covered the mufflers w long tube socks & coated the spark plug threads w motor oil prior to reinstalling them. After draining the fuel tank, I coated the inside of it w motor oil. I put 3-in-1 oil on the areas of the frame that were showing some rust.

If I was to do it again, I'd spray Snowmobile Fogging Oil inside the cylinders & tank- someone here on KZR mentioned doing that. I probably should've removed the battery & blocked the engine to get the front wheel up off the concrete floor.

* - it's what everybody used back then.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2010 06:59 by JMKZHI.

More
09 Nov 2010 14:12 #411882 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic winterizing question - want to remove carbs?
ok, I'm thinking that might be my plan of action. I just don't want to have the crap in my carbs set up over winter and make cleaning that much harder.

More
10 Nov 2010 13:57 #412039 by ace
nice tips but are we talking long term or short term storage????

78kz1000

More
11 Nov 2010 10:26 #412182 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic winterizing question - want to remove carbs?
I'm talking short (now 'til March)