Anyone tried BugEyes?

More
10 Oct 2010 19:18 #405828 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Anyone tried BugEyes?
A well placed dental mirror works. Seriously. :P

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2010 08:54 #406580 by fifthcircle
Replied by fifthcircle on topic Anyone tried BugEyes?
I know a guy that uses them when riding his plated Honda XR650R (to get that bike plated in Nebraska is almost impossible!). He rides a LOT, and seems to not have any problems. I am sure once you get used to them, they work great, and similar to the bicycle riders that use a similar set up with one mirror on the left side of the helmet.

As long as your state does not require mirrors ON the bike(like NE), they would be a cool/different way to go.

"What is it with corn anyway?"
-Scott S.

More
28 Oct 2010 05:11 #409556 by seanof30306
Replied by seanof30306 on topic Anyone tried BugEyes?
OK, so I got my BugEyes two weeks ago, but I wanted to use them for awhile before I reviewed them.

My first inclination was to install them 7-8" apart, so I could see behind me without turning my head. Bad idea. In order to use them, I had to cut my eyes nearly as far down and as far over as they'd go. It was disorienting and uncomfortable to the point of hurting.

Fortunately, they included extra adhesive mounting thingies with it, so I pulled the BugEyes off and remounted them about 2" apart, and adjusted them higher up into my field of vision.

On the plus side, once properly adjusted, they completely eliminated the blind spots on the bike. Seeing behind me was simply a matter of turning my head slightly.

Great, right?

Well ..... not so much.

First, there's the question of getting them adjusted properly. Small adjustments make big changes, and since they're adjustable both at the base, and out at the mirror, it's nearly impossible to adjust them while riding; when you're actually using them. Since minor changes in the angle you hold your head at while riding make significant changes in the adjustment, it takes a lot of tries to get it right. I found the best way was to stop, set the stems where I wanted them, then adjust the mirrors while holding the stems. Then ride, to see what adjustments need to be made, then stop and adjust the mirrors again while holding the stems.

OK, so now they're adjusted properly .... no more worries, right?

ummmmmmmmm .... no

It's really easy to bump tham and throw them out of adjustment wile opening or closing the visor. if you don't do it there, you can pretty much bet you'll do it sometime in the process of taking the helmet off, carrying it inside, storing it, carring it back out, and putting it back on.

I'd hoped the adjustment process would get easier with experience, and it did, but it remained a pain in the butt during the entire trial.

Adjustment, though, wasn't the biggest problem. These mirrors are small, so you have a small field of view. Since they're close to your face, you're no longer looking afar when you look into them, as you are on regular mirrors. It often took a second or two for my brain to adjust and process. Once it did, it was easy to lose situational awareness. The mirrors are mounted to your head, and since you're looking in a mirror, you're moving your head in the opposite direction of your field of view.

During normal riding, when you're just checking the mirors, that's not much of a problem; you've got plenty of time to make the necessary mantal adjustments. The problems arise during intense situations; the quick check of the mirrors before the emergency lane change, etc. The thing is, that's when it's most critical, and that's when my brain often could just not process the information it was getting.

I stuck with them for two weeks, hoping I would adjust, and i did a little, but not enough to make me feels safe.

I had high hopes for the BugEyes, but I'm just not comfortable with them. Tonight, after using them for over two weeks, I was riding down a 4 lane street when a car pulled out in front of me. I knew there was a car behind me, so rather than jam on the brakes, I decided to change lanes, checking my mirrors, but got confused by what I saw. Unsure what was in the other lane, I hit the brakes and tensed up, waiting for the car behind me to slam into me. His tires squealed and he laid on the horn, but he didn't hit me. Barely.

All this took less than a second, or two, and that's the problem. If I'd had no mirrors at all, I would've looked over my shoulder. The BugEyes flooded my brain with information that it was trying to process, though, which actually slowed my reaction time down.

I'm just not comfortable with them anymore.

I wish someone made adjustable mirrors with long stems on them. With all the people who've put superbike, daytona and drag bars on their bikes over the years, I'd think there would be demand for them.

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
28 Oct 2010 05:22 #409561 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Anyone tried BugEyes?
You could give some bar end mirrors a try. They are reported to give a view of more than just your shoulder.
www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2736

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Oct 2010 05:59 - 28 Oct 2010 06:10 #409564 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Anyone tried BugEyes?
I got a set of bar end mirrors and love them. My cousin rode my bike and really liked them too. eBay has a lot to choose from.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=6&id=344862#351279

and as an update, I still really like them, for the first few weeks they would "loosen" in the handlebar and I would just have to spin the mirror to tighten it. THis was annoying, but now they are set and don't move, no vibrations and give a great unobstructed view behind me. Only thing is that the black "anodized" finish faded to a sort of gun metal gray...not a big deal, but they aren't black anymore.
Last edit: 28 Oct 2010 06:10 by 9am53.

More
28 Oct 2010 13:36 #409619 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Anyone tried BugEyes?
Good review on those BugEyes.

When I had my ZX6R I used to have to tuck my elbows in so I could see past my shoulders in the mirrors. I grew up with MX so riding a sportbike feels real awkward espescially getting tucked in like that. I'm only 5'9" 160.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
28 Oct 2010 17:52 - 28 Oct 2010 18:01 #409662 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Anyone tried BugEyes?
I have been using these on my bike for almost 2 years and love them.
www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PRC_MBM12BLK_G

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Oct 2010 18:01 by dejavoodo41.

• ready2ryde1985
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
29 Oct 2010 09:19 #409753 by ready2ryde1985
Replied by ready2ryde1985 on topic Anyone tried BugEyes?
Bar end all the way!!!

Rode a few bikes befor I got my own.
I did not like having to move on the bike to see out the stockers.
I do now ride with a single bar end and feel that I could see more out of it than I ever could stem mirrors I am gona get a matching one this winter for the other side.

Got the clown mirror from dennis kerk only thing I dont like is that it blows closed at like 90 and for $85 you would think it would be better. I am gona see what I can do this winter to make a stoper but I dont ride 90 often and at that speed who has time to look behind them.

I am 6'1 and have no problems seeing out my bar end.
it is right in my vision when in a normal riding positon think my mirros are made By PSE

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd

More
29 Oct 2010 11:55 - 29 Oct 2010 12:06 #409772 by Kapahulu
Replied by Kapahulu on topic Anyone tried BugEyes?
The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentThe bar ends are great mirrors! I had them on my CB550 but just sold the bike. Today I ordered a set for my KZ1000.

Sellers on E-bay have them for about $18 bucks including shipping.

1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com
Last edit: 29 Oct 2010 12:06 by Kapahulu. Reason: trying to add e-bay widget