newbie questions about a 81 gpz

More
06 Oct 2010 19:53 #404704 by vantastic
newbie questions about a 81 gpz was created by vantastic
so to start off i am a mx/trail rider and have been doing my own maintenance and wrenching for a while now. last month my girlfriend wanted to get a bike and i talked her into a 75 cb550 got a good deal on it and i rebuilt the carbs and tuned it up a bit and got it running pretty quick. and while i have been teaching her to ride it i have been tooling around on it and i really wanna get my own classic bike now. but the problem is i'm super tall( 6'8") and her bike is tiny on me and most others are as well. i'm pretty interested in the mild cafe/classic streetfighter look , especially this bike :http://www.wrenchmonkees.com/monkee03.html
and this bike: www.wrenchmonkees.com/monkee08.html
i relize these are super pro builds but its the style i wanna go for with the modern suspension swaps.....
and have heard the old kz's and gpz are roomier.
so i i found an old garage in town that we got her cb550 from has an 81 gpz1100
and he wants 750 for it not running no title, kinda rough but all there minus the throttle tube and lever. i sat on it and it felt alot more stretched out than any cb i have sat on ...it has been repainted yellow (poorly) and when i looked at the serial number is KZT10BE-000075 so that sounds like the 75th one made if they started in 81
so i realize i'm asking a mouthful but what do you think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2010 20:10 #404713 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic newbie questions about a 81 gpz
Does the bike have carbs now or does it still have the old FI(Fuel Injection) system?

If carbs, a good cleaning might get the bike running, if FI, you're looking at a lot of work especially if the injectors are clogged with crud from the gas.

The 1981 GPz1100 was the second generation of FI on Kawasaki's bike's for the street. Many problems were caused by having the injectors too close to the cylinder head with the resulting heat cooking the injectors, so people went to BS34 carbs.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
07 Oct 2010 07:36 #404829 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic newbie questions about a 81 gpz
I am tall too, and find I am cramped on anything I ride...but I think a good person to ask would be trianglelaguna...hes your height and has more bikes than me. I have heard that the older KZ's are bigger than the newer ones...he has a J bike (like your GPz) and has some older kz's so can tell you which is most comfortable.

More
07 Oct 2010 07:52 #404837 by vantastic
Replied by vantastic on topic newbie questions about a 81 gpz
it does still have the FI and I don't know much about it except what i googled echoed what you said. are there any guides on here for rebuilding it?
Do you guys think its a good deal with no title? also the gas cap is locked so i cant see the tank condition either. any thing to check on those before i buy?
also what do you think about the serial number make it worth anymore?
and thanks 9am53 ill message him.

More
07 Oct 2010 08:58 #404859 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic newbie questions about a 81 gpz
vantastic wrote:

it does still have the FI and I don't know much about it except what i googled echoed what you said. are there any guides on here for rebuilding it?
Do you guys think its a good deal with no title? also the gas cap is locked so i cant see the tank condition either. any thing to check on those before i buy?
also what do you think about the serial number make it worth anymore?
and thanks 9am53 ill message him.

Hello vantastic:

To answer your questions:

Kawasaki shop manuals are still available on eBay are absolutely required if you do purchase the bike.

Titles (or lack thereof) can be troublesome, but it depends on the state you register the bike in.

Any Kawasaki key of the era will open the gas cap...there are no tumblers in the gas caps until 1983.

There are numerous issues on a non-running bike before you decide to purchase it...the list is long...too long for this quick post.

If the bike isn't a Z1, there are no cost benefits associated with an early serial VIN.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A