Radar Detectors...who's using them?

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
02 Oct 2010 20:41 #403612 by Sandy
With the new speeding-laws here in this fine Province of British Columbia,if you're caught speeding 40 kilometers(25 miles)over the posted speed limit,your bike gets a free stay in an impound for a few days plus a hefty fine(first offense).
Not that I do 40 over very often(ya right),but even a regular ticket is about $125.
Just wondering who's using a detector and what details or info you can throw out here.
Thanks,ya Hoodlums.B)

Oh,and...please don't tell me to obey the speed-limit to solve all my problems...that's what my Mom would say...that,and to always wear clean underwear.:blush:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
02 Oct 2010 21:48 #403615 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Radar Detectors...who's using them?
Not the answer you're looking for, but my last speeding ticket (and most of them, in retrospect) was when I still owned a radar detector. Been 6+ years and I haven't gotten a single one since I got rid of the detector. Don't think I'll be going back.

Is the law the same for autos as cycles in BC?

More
03 Oct 2010 04:57 #403650 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Radar Detectors...who's using them?
Cool topic Sandy for I have been eye balling a few models I'm thinking about....

Sure, is it 100% safe net, no freaking way especially with Laser.... Radar on the other hand will give you some warning up ahead with a good unit....

I know, I know we try and stay to the limit plus 10 but.... BORING.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I don;t like going triple digits for extended period of time but I sure do enjoy (woody :blush:) the pull back acceleration at times especially when gunning my bud on his interceptor... :evil:

One thing for sure, which ever unit I may end up with, it's going to be modified for visual alerts (L.E.D. on H-bar) as well....

Let us know what you find or end up with...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
03 Oct 2010 07:42 #403696 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Radar Detectors...who's using them?
I need one that turns my helmet's face shield amber when radar hits it. That way I'll notice it in time. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
03 Oct 2010 07:43 #403698 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Radar Detectors...who's using them?
i think the police use em....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
03 Oct 2010 07:43 #403699 by oldcoldankles
Replied by oldcoldankles on topic Radar Detectors...who's using them?
I don't know what to do either Sandy, as the cops frequently use laser - and they are already flexing their new muscles on this law. Check out this video:
www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story...cyles-impounded.html

Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
03 Oct 2010 07:44 #403700 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Radar Detectors...who's using them?
OMR has one...oh wait....that's GAYDAR....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
03 Oct 2010 07:49 #403702 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Radar Detectors...who's using them?
DoubleDub wrote:

Not the answer you're looking for, but my last speeding ticket (and most of them, in retrospect) was when I still owned a radar detector. Been 6+ years and I haven't gotten a single one since I got rid of the detector. Don't think I'll be going back.

Is the law the same for autos as cycles in BC?

+1

75% of my tickets came in vehicles with a radar detector on. It gave me a false sense of security, but for you it may be different. Before you buy, you need to check into what the local PD uses for speed guns. Where I live they use LIDAR guns, and a radar detector is useless against those things. Yeah your detector will let you know when they have nailed your ass by lighting up like a Christmas tree, but no warning before they point the gun at you.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
03 Oct 2010 08:35 #403713 by DoubleDub
650ed wrote:

I need one that turns my helmet's face shield amber when radar hits it. That way I'll notice it in time. Ed

That's an interesting idea...some kind of shield illumination as an alert. I'm sure it's doable. Isn't there a flat/flexible LED out there that could be embedded/adhered to the shield?

More
03 Oct 2010 08:51 #403718 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Radar Detectors...who's using them?
I've been pretty happy to do the speed limit +10 also, with the occasional burst of speed. But the fact that police can tow you for being 40 km/h over, well.....
To be effective I think you need to have some kind of jammer. It looks like you can get laser jammers, combined with radar/photo radar detectors and a remote helmet display. Big bucks though.
example

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
03 Oct 2010 11:46 #403783 by DoubleDub
Tony wrote:

I've been pretty happy to do the speed limit +10 also, with the occasional burst of speed. But the fact that police can tow you for being 40 km/h over, well.....
To be effective I think you need to have some kind of jammer. It looks like you can get laser jammers, combined with radar/photo radar detectors and a remote helmet display. Big bucks though.
example

For that price I could have a second KZ in case they impound the first...

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
03 Oct 2010 12:00 #403789 by 550A2
Replied by 550A2 on topic Radar Detectors...who's using them?
Hey im right below you dowm here in Bellingham, WA....on the border...But cops down here actually have devices on their cars that scan every license plate that they drive by and displays the registered owners information...such as valid license, warrants, speed, ect. They just have to drive by and look at a screen. Although i havent been pulled over on my bike, I still keep the haulin ass to the back roads and roads i am familiar with...Roads that i know where a cop could hide.

If you do get pulled over, i guess just have a good excuse haha.....New parts testing?
;)

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project