head rebuilding

More
16 Aug 2010 21:53 - 16 Aug 2010 21:59 #391555 by nads.com
head rebuilding was created by nads.com
Told Jerry down the block about my head for my bike, he says why would take it downtown? I said what?
He walks over and throw up a tarp and dust flys. I gotta valve grinding machine right here, two of um. One was 1,000 Black and Decker and the other he said was 1,800 ( he never uncovered it. I said damn. Then he showed me the stones. He two sets of seat grinding tools, one K.O. LEE one Souix. Both had all the original equipment and additional pilots had been added some adjustable. There were so many stones I couldn't even count. He showed me how all the attachments fit together and kept dropping quick little bits of how you do the job and such. It was hard to keep up. He showed me the goodson catologue and like with this kit u wouldn't need it. I said something and he went over and set up the valve grinder, showed me how to trim the stone, every movement. Told me to practice, take off the smallest amount poss. I did my kz valves. I jerked and went the wrong way twice and had to retrim the stone and ease off whatever uneven surface that may have been cut into the valve when I jerked. He said theres a book around here that tells you what angle, and how to raise the seat and trim it. He gave me the book and I mic'd the stone holder end of one of the pilots, noting the two sets were not the same or at least one of them in the souix set was diff. They each had four stoneholders! He told me some are sleeved and they were not as good. Bout then I had the pilot for my bike head already made in my head. His sets had only a 6.6mm pilot. I asked him where he got the book it was 71 publication. He said it was his text book for shcool. I took it home and read it, got to the part where there showing you how to set up and use a valve grinding machine, ( and it was laid out nicely for an old book let me tell ya, if there was anything extra you needed to know it was right there) and it says, Some times a novice may panic and turn the wheel moving the valve into the stone, if this happens, shutoff machine and walk away! I made a pilot for my head from aluminum. I trimmed a stone and freshened up a 45 on the intake and one exhaust, thats two stones. He had lots of small stones in those kits and I aready knew they would be needed for small seats. There were several new boxs of diff size stones also. He said the ruby red worked primarely by itself if the seat wasn't too rough. They worked best, did the best job, he said. I tried to cut a stone to 70deg with the ko set and undercut the diamond and it fell off :P I felt bad, but he didn't seem to care. It was like he knew I was going to do that. He even just showed me how to set it up too? :blink: He knew I was trying to cram ev thing in all at once, he new my style. That book had another section showing me how dumb I was when I undercut the diamond tip right off the bolt. GReat. So I'm waiting for a diamond to come in from goodson soon, (it's been 10 days) then I'll cut the seats in and trim them to size with anside angle or two. THEN I can ship them to Larry C. Cuz I think I did some mean porting. And I want to know, was I a fool :(
Last edit: 16 Aug 2010 21:59 by nads.com.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2010 22:46 #391560 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic head rebuilding
holy long post batman !
your a fool. :laugh:

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
16 Aug 2010 23:27 #391564 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic head rebuilding
How about space every five lines or so.

For us old folks. :laugh:

I wish I had a valve grinder. There are no machine shops around here anymore. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000