Finally tried to start

More
10 Aug 2010 08:55 #389891 by Sactown900
Finally tried to start was created by Sactown900
I finally tried to start my 76 KZ900.

Tank off, starter fluid sprayed in air filter and a new battery. It sparked and fired 2-3 times, so next I'll attach the spare lawn mower gas tank I have hanging above the bike, with a universal petcock an new 1/4" fuel line. This is exciting stuff from a stock bike sitting in my garage for over 15 years. :woohoo:

Have you folks seem this Japanese shop's Web site?

www.ac-sanctuary.co.jp/rcm/gallery/z1_z2/index.html

This shop had some SERIOUS talent.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2010 10:19 #389900 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Finally tried to start
Nice bike. You did change the oil, right? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Aug 2010 16:32 #389954 by Sactown900
Replied by Sactown900 on topic Finally tried to start
Yes.

I drained the old gas, when I bought it from a co-worker 15+ years ago. It was a touring rig with giant Vetter fairing, cigarette lighter, crash bars and alarm. I took all that off, then it sat like this until last year, when I changed the oil, bought a new battery and put a little in the spark plug holes, before kicking it over. The starter seems to work well.

I try some gas in it soon.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
10 Aug 2010 19:59 #390001 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Finally tried to start
After all of those years, you should pull the carb's and kit them, or at least clean them really good. All the passages, but look really close at the Idle, pilot jet and transition circuits. Also do a float level set, either by the manual with carb's inverted on the bench, or the clear tube method. A bench sync of the throttle butterflies with a small wire gauge drill bit is a good Idea.
Remember to replace the old fuel line, clean the tank and petcock screen, and install a Motorcycle in line fuel filter, or you might be right back in there.
Hope it runs real good for you, as summer is slipping by.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
10 Aug 2010 20:41 #390008 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Finally tried to start
In my experience (and others) the bench float height doesn't work for crap. The clear tube method is the only one that worked for me.

More
11 Aug 2010 06:58 #390070 by Sactown900
Thanks folks. This is great. I thought I muddle through this for months, but there is a wealth of KZ experience on this site.

More
11 Aug 2010 07:34 #390076 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic Finally tried to start
sactown900 wrote:
Have you folks seem this Japanese shop's Web site?

www.ac-sanctuary.co.jp/rcm/gallery/z1_z2/index.html

This is the shop where i always hang out on the weekends. I've posted pics of their bikes here before. I think they are probably the most professional and knowledgeable Z1 mechanics in the world, but damn expensive.

1979 KZ650B3

More
11 Aug 2010 07:49 #390082 by Sactown900
I have the time, but once I get my 76 running, I am rebuilding it to look like one of those Sanctuary bikes from Japan. SICK Talent!

I was shopping for a ZX-14, but for the price of a new bike, I can put the money in modernizing a 76 900.
Attachments: