non stinky engine degreaser solvent

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
07 Aug 2010 15:22 #389017 by 9am53
Does anybody know of a non smelly but effective engine cleaner (other than simple green, it's not that good). I want to degrease and clean the engine parts on my GPz in the basement sink and don't want to smell up the house. Does that GUNK orange degreaser work?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2010 15:25 #389019 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic non stinky engine degreaser solvent
I occasionally use the Gunk spray degreaser, but it's kind of smelly, but I haven't compared it to simple green. I don't think I'd use the Gunk indoors.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
07 Aug 2010 17:03 #389052 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic non stinky engine degreaser solvent
ii got some of the non air can type..(think houshold cleaner sprayer)...cant spell aresol....lol....

it was 1 buck more than the foamy/spray can types and i wanted to give it a whirl ..i went through 4-5 cans of gunk/engine spray foams friday so when re-upping i decided to throw a non spray can type degreaser in the cart too.....

it worked great ,did not just drip away...went on in a mist...and was at least close to as good as gunk by that stage of the cleaning(third spray and wash)and it only used what i needed ,about a 1/4 bottle.....it seems gunk and foam types use the whole can then some to do a bike....

i will keep using it too!!!

try cleanser and water in a dish and some old toothbrush / wire brush/ scrubby sponges /and steel wool with cleanser in the wool too....i always use that with hot water when i am indoors..

try not to make a bleach bomb and expire .....:)

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
07 Aug 2010 17:07 #389053 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic non stinky engine degreaser solvent
oh yeah...it was about as stinky as the gunk but without the spray can smell it was not half as gassy work quick and get the parts outdoors quick and rags ect..... the parts must go outside even when washed for a few days if you do a degreaser...Amy's dad was not impressed when i degreased my bike and washed it off and rolled it in his garage late one night...the next day his Porsche Carrera 4s smelled like a mac truck......he got over it...:laugh:

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
07 Aug 2010 18:03 #389076 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic non stinky engine degreaser solvent
trianglelaguna wrote:

Amy's dad was not impressed when i degreased my bike and washed it off and rolled it in his garage late one night...the next day his Porsche Carrera 4s smelled like a mac truck......he got over it...:laugh:

Was it at least that new-truck smell? :laugh:

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
07 Aug 2010 18:15 #389090 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic non stinky engine degreaser solvent
I would suggest outside and a oil drain pan or something like one. Even a mix of gas can do a lot of cleaning- out doors. Even your bathroom mold killer is bad for fumes, once you get into Automotive cleaners, I would be pretty sure they all say use with adequate ventilation.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
07 Aug 2010 19:31 #389184 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic non stinky engine degreaser solvent
I haven't actually tried this so I don't know for sure if it really works. What about using some of that hand cleaner like Gojo? It gets the grease off your hands fairly well. It would require some scrubbing with a toothbrush, and I wouldn't use the kind that has pumice in it. Smells like oranges, how much trouble could that get you in?

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
07 Aug 2010 19:43 #389188 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic non stinky engine degreaser solvent

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
07 Aug 2010 20:47 #389200 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic non stinky engine degreaser solvent
9am53 wrote:

Does anybody know of a non smelly but effective engine cleaner (other than simple green, it's not that good). I want to degrease and clean the engine parts on my GPz in the basement sink and don't want to smell up the house. Does that GUNK orange degreaser work?

S100 --- effective, won't harm non-metal parts, and don't recall any odor at all.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: