• greasechick557
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 KZ750 LTD-4
More
05 Aug 2010 01:24 #388301 by greasechick557
First ride....Project update. was created by greasechick557
Hi Everyone.

So about 4 months ago I purchased my project. 1980 KZ750 LTD-4 for 500 bucks. After some elbow grease and a few cuts and broken tools it is up and running. 2 days ago I took it and successfully passed NYS inspection. It has had the carbs rebuilt along with new front tire, front and rear sprockets. chain, and new shocks. It's not too pretty right now but it rides nice. I just have my permit as of right now and yesterday I actually got to take it out for a ride. I am very excited and hope that I keep making progress on the project. Unfortunately, someone busted my car window and the money i was going to spend on the bike this week has to go to fix that. Just thought I would give an update and share. Any advice for new riders? Ride safe everyone.

Love,

Stephanie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2010 01:32 #388302 by Cookie1893
Replied by Cookie1893 on topic First ride....Project update.
Good job. You Might not have the best lookin bike on the block but I bet it rides like no tomarrow. Also if you are looking for a paint job and you need some color Choices I think a nice dark metallic red with cream detailing would look nice on the 750's.

1977 KZ-650 total motor rebuild project

Hopefully after I get the girl running she will fit on the back of a go-cart.... Betcha never saw that one comin!

• greasechick557
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 KZ750 LTD-4
More
05 Aug 2010 01:45 #388303 by greasechick557
Replied by greasechick557 on topic First ride....Project update.
I don't know what I am going to do as far as color goes. I do agree that a nice metallic red would look great on this bike. However, the bike is currently black and I honestly don't want to pay NYS to change the color on the title. I'll have to look into how difficult that would be.

More
05 Aug 2010 02:47 #388305 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic First ride....Project update.
I'm glad you are up and running.

As far as colors go,you can't beat black.

If you haven't taken the safety course please do.

Always keep your head moving from side to side. And be very careful of cars turning in front of you. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
05 Aug 2010 06:17 #388323 by mjg15
Replied by mjg15 on topic First ride....Project update.
I would think that all you would have to do at NYS DMV is apply for a duplicate title and enter the new color on the duplicate application. Duplicate titles are $20, cheap and easy compared to the actual paint work. I wouldnt worry about to much though, I've never had a problem and I have a couple bikes that the color listed on the title doesnt match the actual color of the bike.

Keep riding.....you will soon have 6 or 7 months of winter to deal with paint and paperwork changes....uuuuuuuggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

'80 Z750fx
'81 KZ550A
'81 GPz550's, Too many!
'82 KZ1000R
'82 GPz750
'90 ZR550

Project photo album: s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...GPz-ZR550%20project/
s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...current=DSC01286.jpg

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
05 Aug 2010 06:30 #388325 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic First ride....Project update.
greasechick557 wrote:

I don't know what I am going to do as far as color goes. I do agree that a nice metallic red would look great on this bike. However, the bike is currently black and I honestly don't want to pay NYS to change the color on the title. I'll have to look into how difficult that would be.

Oh that sounds just like NYS....pay me, pay me, pay me :laugh:

Ride it and enjoy the rest of the summer Steph.....

More
05 Aug 2010 07:27 #388339 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic First ride....Project update.
congrats on getting your bike up and running!

me advice is,
ride like you are invisible!
because to the cars ,you are.
be very defensive,always watch for openings for escape.don't stop directly behind cars at stop lights.stop off to one side or the other so there is a better chance of someone missing you,if you do get rear ended at least you can be knocked clear and not crushed between.
constantly hone your moto ninja skills,:) .

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
05 Aug 2010 07:34 #388341 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic First ride....Project update.
oh yeah in case you don't know what a moto ninja is read this.

The Way of Motorcycle Ninjiutsu
part one

I want to be a motorcycle ninja. An unstoppable motorcycle warrior on any road and any motorcycle. As a moto-ninja, I want to be able to powerslide through a plate glass window, ride up 5 flights of stairs, wheelie through the solid oak door of a top floor apartment and jump the bike through another plate glass window onto a neighboring rooftop to escape a persuer. Maybe I'll never be able to do that, but I'll shoot for the stars and maybe I'll hit the flag pole. Either way, it's better than aiming low and shooting the neighbor's dog. In most cases.
I want to be able to ride any type of motorcycle in any type of condition. I want to learn to be an expert mechanic, a motorcycle engineer, a road racer, a drag racer, a flat track racer, an ISDT racer, a desert racer, a motocross racer, an mx-freestyler, a streetfighter stunt rider, a ramp jumper, a wall-of-death rider, and maybe even a board track racer.
A moto-ninja should be able to powerslide a full-dressed Goldwing, and maybe jump some sand dunes with it too. A moto-ninja should be able to drag a knee on a '48 Indian Chief, ride endless wheelies on a step-through Honda 50, or win a "slow-race" on an NSR500 GP racer. A moto-ninja should also be able to build all of these machines, as well as be able to maintain these machines with junkyard scraps if necessary.
Ultimately, the purpose is to apply all these skills to street riding, and building and maintaining street machines. I don't know if all of these skills can be learned in a lifetime, but it would take at least that long if it's possible. The aquisition of these skills makes the motorcycle ninja a lifelong student, reaching for goals that may never be attained.
For now, I will prioritize the skills that seem most immediately appropriate.

COMBAT
Of coarse, in street riding, certain combat skills will be necessary to be a motorcycle ninja, and certain tools. To be unstoppable, one must be able to deal with a truly malicious and deliberate motorist regardless of the size of the vehicle, not just the typical unobservant and/or apathetic car driver.
We all have ways we deal with errant car drivers, but these are usually things we do after the fact. After we got lucky and didn't get creamed, we let the driver know that they did something wrong, and we didn't like it. Removing an attacker's mirror is nice, but just a start. The first element of street combat is obviously defense.
Sliding through cars' attacks, and predicting them in the first place is the basic starting point. Riding skill is the first and most important defense, but sometimes the moto-ninja must use tools. Particularly, when facing a deliberate and malicious four-wheeled oponent.

TOOLS
We all know that our motorcycles are our first and most important tool, and of course you must have tools to maintain the motorcycle--but this should be basic knowledge to anyone reading this. Combat tools is the subject I'm getting at.
Most riders have probably heard of old bikers carrying bags of ball-bearings or even marbles. Depending on the speed of traffic, a proper ball-bearing counter-attack may be used to literally rattle someone's cage, or even to remove a car driver's traction for a moment.
Take this concept a bit further, (using objects other than ball-bearings), and perhaps an attacker's tires may be rendered useless. Bits of razor wire welded into "jacks" perhaps, or maybe you can do better. Fabrication of tools is the moto-ninja's responsibility, whether this means finding a good way to carry a tire iron on your motorcycle, or cutting and welding whatever objects you know you may be able to use to defend yourself.

CHOPPER NINJIUTSU
Choppers are the fundamental starting point in motorcycle ninjiutsu, after learning to ride of coarse. Building a chopper begins the student in the tradition of his ancestors, teaching him many basic skills of riding and fabricating, and forging a deep connection with the motorcycle.
Building a motorcycle with the simplicity of a rigid can be like learning to use a hammer before learning to use a CNC mill, or learning stance before learning double sword forms. While the moto-ninja's bike of choice in most situations will undoubtedly be the more versatile performers like streetfighters and supermotards, the chopper can also be a serious tool of the motorcycle ninja if the chopper's inherent advantages are exploited. While the traditional rigid framed chopper is bound to be a narrowly focused tool, the immediate thrust of the rigid and the low center of gravity can make the so-inclined chopper an excellent lane-splitting tool for attacking heavy traffic in dense urban areas.
Most importantly, the chopper is the motorcycle ninja's vehicle of meditation, both in building it and riding it. The concept of balance would seem a prerequisite to riding a motorcycle, and art and expression are both embraced and produced by a balanced individual.

First do no harm. Cast away any malicious intents towards your four-wheeled attackers, and simply react as necessary.

fun little read there,:cheer: .

leon

p.s.there is also some very good information in
micapeak.com/info/thepace.html

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0