30 Jul 2010 13:54 - 08 Aug 2010 13:46 #387054 by APE Jay
Who is this guy??? was created by APE Jay
www.dragbike.com/dbnews/anmviewer.asp?a=5864&z=2 :laugh:

Person of the Week: Jay Eshbach
Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Vol. 2, Issue 30

Jay Eshbach Biography
By Keith S. Kizer

Born April 29, 1944 in Glendale, California, Jay Eshbach grew up a Southern California kid who hit grade school about the same time as the birth of organized drag racing. In his early teenage years, Jay discovered two things; drag racing and machining metal parts.

Jay discovered drag racing when he was fourteen years old and was hooked for life. Later he crewed on various Top Fuel cars in the So. Calif racing scene. This lasted even after he married his high school sweetheart Dianne. They would spend every Saturday night at the now legendary Lions, Irwindale or Orange County drag strips.

As kids came, Jay was forced to put racing behind him and concentrate on making a living. Jay started a small job machine shop making aircraft and commercial parts.

In the early 70’s, one of Jay’s old high school buddies bought a new 750 Honda, the motorcycle that started the entire sport bike scene. He came to Jay’s shop and said he had heard pistons could be taken from a Honda twin, and remachined to make a big bore kit for a 750. Jay thought, “Sure, I can do that” and he did. His first 836 kit was born. The bike was fast and Jay’s friend’s friends would asked him where he got the kit, and soon Jay had lots of orders. Jay eventually made hundreds of those kits. The trend was moving towards forged pistons, so he was able to convince Bob Anderson and Tom Kipp, the former owners of Wiseco Pistons, to make four stroke big bore pistons. They said yes and Jay became the very first Wiseco big bore kit distributor.

During this time Jay developed heavy-duty cylinder studs for this motor and one of his biggest customers was a guy working out of a garage in Torrance, CA., by the name of Russ Collins. As business grew, Jay and Dianne turned the no name machine shop into American Performance Engineering (APE) in 1974. At that time, aerospace machining was still the bulk of the business. The motorcycle side grew, and by the early 80’s they were 100% motorcycle. Their product line expanded with innovations like the first billet machined adjustable cam sprockets, and the tool steel wrist pins used by nearly all nitro dragbikes.

In only a few short years, all this new business found Jay back at the dragstrip, only now with a two-wheel clientele. Jay was now combining his two loves. The who's-who of racing was using their products and the APE sticker was showing up everywhere. But the one person that stands out the most in Jay’s mind was meeting Elmer Trett at an AMDRA race at OCIR. What started out as a vendor / customer relationship, soon turned personal and Elmer and Jay quickly became best friends. They stayed at each other’s homes when on respective sides of the country. Once Elmer was booked into an event in Australia so Jay and Dianne traveled with the Tretts. In the end, Jay was honored when the family asked him to deliver the eulogy at Elmer's funeral.

During this time of growth in both his business and the sport there was no hard-core publication geared towards motorcycle drag racing. Hot Bike Magazine asked Jay to write a monthly column called "The Quarter Mile File” which became a hit. Jay then started Fast Times magazine to help fill the void. It was very popular, and there are people today on some of the internet forums that say they still have every issue. As an industry guy rather than a journalist, Jay was able to do in depth interviews with people like George Bryce, Dave Schultz, and Elmer and ask the questions he knew the readers would ask if given the chance. Eventually he got too busy with the parts business and discontinued publishing the magazine.

In regards to Jay’s involvement with racing, he was involved in the creation of the IHRA motorcycle division, later to become Prostar, when he met with me, Carl Stieffenhofer, the late Greg Guarinello and several others in a motel room near Atco Raceway in Atco, New Jersey during the U.S. Motorcycle Nationals and hammered out what would become one of the most successful organizations ever. Jay’s words, not mine.

Jay and Dianne’s involvement in Prostar was inspirational. They traveled from California to the East Coast for most of the events being a fixture on the manufacturers midway. They started the APE 200 mph and 6-second clubs, presenting custom awards to the first ten people in each category. These were highly coveted awards, which are proudly displayed by the recipients today.

In the early days of Prostar I would make frequent trips to California to call on West Coast sponsors. That was about fifteen years into APE’s existence. I remember going to their small rented shop in Burbank. You had to park on the street in front of the shop. Inside was a small showroom with an office where Dianne and their daughter Candice were working. The office led to the shop, which was packed in vintage machinery, piled high with metal shavings and inventory. Somewhere in the middle was their son, Ben machining away. I believe it was cam chain tensioners flying off the machines that day.

As the business continued to grow, they struggling for the lack of space, so Dianne and Jay purchased two and a half acres of property at the famed Willow Springs Raceway and constructed a state of the art CNC manufacturing facility, that has allowed them to branch out into other motorcycle racing fields. It’s been a long road from the little shop in Burbank, but a road packed with great memories of drag racing history.

Other Areas of Interest

Residence: Tehachapi, Ca.

Spouse’s Name: Dianne. Married 47 years

Children’s Names (ages): Ben 46 Alicia 45 Candice 42

Interest outside of racing: Family

Favorite foods: Barbeque

Favorite movie: Passion Of The Christ

Daily driver: C5 Corvette

First motorcycle: Honda 750 dragbike.

Hero: I would have to say my late best friend Elmer Trett.
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Aug 2010 13:46 by KZQ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• muddy1
  • User
  • 1980 Kz1000 LTD B4
More
30 Jul 2010 14:04 #387055 by muddy1
Replied by muddy1 on topic Who is this guy???
Looks like some old dude named Jay :P

1970 SL-70
1972 CB 750
1973 Z1
1976 YZ 125
1976 KZ400
1979 KZ400 LTD
1980 KZ1000 LTD B4
1984 YZ 490
1989 750 Ninja

More
30 Jul 2010 14:31 #387060 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Who is this guy???
Congrats!!!! No one more deserving! :cheer:

More
30 Jul 2010 15:08 #387065 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Who is this guy???
I'm kind of dense. I read the whole thing almost before I figured it out. :laugh: Congratulations, you deserve it.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
30 Jul 2010 22:32 #387140 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Who is this guy???
Congrat's, well deserved. Boy your looking old.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
31 Jul 2010 03:11 #387170 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Who is this guy???
Why is it only old dudes have Corvettes? :P

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
31 Jul 2010 04:22 #387175 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Who is this guy???
Nice article Jay...I also grew up in Southern California (San Fernando Valley...Sepulveda, Van Nuys) and spent my weekends at Lions, San Fernando Raceway, and later, OCR. A nice post, thanks.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
31 Jul 2010 04:28 #387177 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Who is this guy???
It's nice to see recognition for one of the original guys helping create the motorcycle performance parts market - and one that's still heavily involved.

When you look back, there's certainly not very many names still surviving in the industry from that period... ...and most of the surviving companies are no longer run by the original owners.

Thanks Jay...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
31 Jul 2010 05:20 #387181 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Who is this guy???
When I first saw the picture I thought it was PeeWee Gleason.:laugh: Nice writeup; congrats. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
31 Jul 2010 06:16 #387194 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Who is this guy???
Thanks Jay for what you have contributed to the bike scene.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
31 Jul 2010 18:11 #387315 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Who is this guy???
Very cool Jay!

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
31 Jul 2010 19:11 #387326 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Who is this guy???
Looks like some guy who thinks he knows a little about motorcycles! What do you other guys think? This guy know what he's talking about? lol

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110