ITS TOO POWERFULL!!

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jul 2010 01:37 #383017 by Kitten Tooth
ITS TOO POWERFULL!! was created by Kitten Tooth
okay, i got an airfilter a week or so ago and i have been going on small rides with my dad.. the past few days have been great. Im kind of scared of the thing, this is the first bike i have owned that doesn't just have the ability to do wheelies but WANTS to do them:D i of course do not.. Im going to tune my carbs on saturday after buying a valve for my supplementary gas tank that will hang above my bike as i do the tuning. I posted a thread before about my exhaust popping when i downshifted. You guys said it was a sign of a lean mixture. I ran the bike for a few hours and pulled the plugs when i got home. They were black like it was running rich.. nothing new with that until saturday when i do the tuning. Also, my valves seem to be ticking like the motor is low on oil.. its not but it sounds like it. Any ideas? might now go full drag bike but i will get an extended swing arm and 4 into 1. I'll keep you guys posted..

Thanks guys,
KT

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2010 03:13 - 16 Jul 2010 03:16 #383020 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic ITS TOO POWERFULL!!
If they are black AND sooty, then the cause is usually electrical and not carburetion. Adjusting the carbs for a cold spark will not produce good and consistent operation.

Check the voltage at the coil inputs. They must be almost the identical voltage as the battery. If not you have losses in your wiring connections and or switches. Be prepared to repair or replace your switch gear or to implement the Coil Re-powering Mod. See diagram of how I implemented this on my bike:

For more details see Link .

Be warned that not all members subscribe to this Coil Mod approach preferring instead to find the one or more contact issues and then repairing or replacing them. But for about $10.00 USD in parts it’s hard to beat. All I can tell you is that many, many of these bikes, including mine have been saved and are still on the road because of this mod... and it's a simple way to rule out carb issues and get on the road now.

Best of success, :)
Bill

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jul 2010 03:16 by bill_wilcox100.

More
16 Jul 2010 04:27 - 16 Jul 2010 05:37 #383024 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic ITS TOO POWERFULL!!
Tim, as Bill mentioned, before going the coil mod route... :pinch: :whistle: perform all your electrical checks first for you may have an electrical issue.

Only having the coils at ideal voltages while the rest of your electrical system is being held under, this may lead into other problems down the road such as burnt up components i.e. Dynamo/rectifier/regulator....

As for carbon build up, depends on the degree of carbon build up your speaking of.... You will want a lite 360 carbon build around the plug base ring... Don't worry about obtaining a tan colored insulator for the gas in your area may just never allow this to happen... Mine aren't as well...

Here's a good guide Cavanaugh turned me onto for Spark Plug reading.... Worth reading/studying...;)

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=460&Itemid=108

Also insure once fully carb tuned and sync, cam timing and ignition timing are spot on... I can't remember if you installed Dyna EI or have points/condenser in your KZ.... Either way, dial her in....

Another thing to accomplish, take some Emory cloth and clean all the electrical panel plug pins of oxidation... Do this on all your harness connector pins as well... You'll be surprised on how much this effects your coil voltage...;)

Just in case... sorry if re-posting the electrical tests...

KZ900 test pretty much the same for early 1000's...

Good luck young man, keep at it!

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jul 2010 05:37 by Old Man Rock.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
16 Jul 2010 08:12 #383067 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic ITS TOO POWERFULL!!
Damn son you have a fast street bike that gives you a pucker factor and now you want a dragbike. :ohmy: Nothing like a little testosterone in the garage. :) I admire the goals you are setting for yourself. If this is your first bike I would do more riding so you can enjoy it before you go wrenchin for racin. Riding with Dad can be very rewarding and will make memories you will have a lifetime. Have fun whatever you do and be safe. B) B) B)

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
16 Jul 2010 08:50 #383074 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic ITS TOO POWERFULL!!
Whatever you decide to do... :laugh:

Make darn sure that the connections from the stator/alternator to the rectifier/regulator are perfect.
Also make sure that the ground wire from the rect/reg unit has a real good ground (maybe make a secondary one, and that the battery ground is connected directly to the engine, and the frame in different locations.

This helps ALOT to prevent wiring shorts and charging circuit issues that can leave you stranded.

Going through the wiring on the bike and cleaning and re-connecting everything only takes a few hrs, and can make a world of difference and sweet peace of mind.

GL!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
16 Jul 2010 18:00 #383198 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic ITS TOO POWERFULL!!
Kitten Tooth wrote:

okay, i got an airfilter a week or so ago and i have been going on small rides with my dad.. the past few days have been great. Im kind of scared of the thing, this is the first bike i have owned that doesn't just have the ability to do wheelies but WANTS to do them:D i of course do not.. Im going to tune my carbs on saturday after buying a valve for my supplementary gas tank that will hang above my bike as i do the tuning. I posted a thread before about my exhaust popping when i downshifted. You guys said it was a sign of a lean mixture. I ran the bike for a few hours and pulled the plugs when i got home. They were black like it was running rich.. nothing new with that until saturday when i do the tuning. Also, my valves seem to be ticking like the motor is low on oil.. its not but it sounds like it. Any ideas? might now go full drag bike but i will get an extended swing arm and 4 into 1. I'll keep you guys posted..

Thanks guys,
KT

youre learning,it took me numerous backflips and a few trips to the e.r to learn to be scared! :laugh:
have you checked your valve clearances?carbs being out of synch will cause cam chain noise at lower rpms also,especially idling ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.