If it doesnt start, should i sell it???

More
13 Jul 2010 17:24 #382382 by RobQ
Hello, two weeks ago i bought a 1981 kz550 ltd that cranked but didnt fully start up. I was told the carbs needed to be cleaned. So, knowing nothing about motorcycles but having a shop manual. I fully took apart teh carbs all the way and extrememly cleaned them. My only problem was that i had to hand cut out all new gaskets for the float bowl and top for each carb because i did not want to buy all new ones because they were hard to find and expensive. I completely put the carbs back together and am going to put them back on tonight. I will also add new gas lines and change the oil tonight. After 3 weeks and all togetehr 800 into the bike, if the bike doesnt start up, i have no idea what it could be and am prolly gunna sell the bike for the 800 i have in it. I want a bike so bad and have wanted one so long but if it doesnt start up tonight, im prolly just gunna drop 4000 on a new one just so i dont have to deal with it. What do you think??????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2010 17:37 #382385 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic If it doesnt start, should i sell it???
Hmmm, a 30-year-old bike + didn't actually run to start with + newbie who doesn't know anything about bikes + wants to ride RIGHT NOW = FRUSTRATION. It's simple math.

The bike may start and run just fine when you get the carbs back on, but that is a long shot. There are likely other problems that need attention, but your novice status may prevent you from identifying them right away. If you are willing to spend the time and money to learn how the bike is supposed to work and how to fix it when it does not, then this relationship may work out. Otherwise a new small displacement bike might be a better fit for you. If there is a shop or dealership nearby that you trust, you might get a pretty good deal on a barely used one and the money you save can go toward getting the KZ operational again. It basically boils down to your disposition, finances and goals.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
13 Jul 2010 17:42 #382388 by RobQ
Replied by RobQ on topic If it doesnt start, should i sell it???
gotcha

More
13 Jul 2010 23:23 #382475 by RobQ
Replied by RobQ on topic If it doesnt start, should i sell it???
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH IT STARTEDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!

Shweet. Now i have 2 problems after sucessfully starting the bike. 1, after starting it sounds like i am giving it full blast accelerator. BUTT!! i did have the exaust off and i forgot to turn the choke back to the closed position after starting so that could very well be my problem. So ill go with that for now. My other problem which was the original problem when i received the bike is once started, carb 1 leaks out of the drain. 2,3,and 4 do not leak but num 1 still does and its a fairly fast drip. The carbs are beyond clean. Maybe just the drain plug screw is bad or the o ring in that screw is bad???????

More
14 Jul 2010 02:10 - 14 Jul 2010 02:12 #382491 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic If it doesnt start, should i sell it???
Ignoring everything else for the moment, you said you had the exhaust off. Do not run the bike without the exhaust on. Exhaust creates a specific amount of back pressure and affects many variables within the running of the bike, not the least of which is jetting, ie - you may have rebuilt the carbs but if the exhaust is off and you're on original jets your tuning will be crap anyway.

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2010 02:12 by KZ250LTD.

More
14 Jul 2010 08:40 #382547 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic If it doesnt start, should i sell it???
Running the engine with no exhaust system can also wreck the exhaust valves. DON'T DO IT.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Jul 2010 08:50 #382558 by dshelly
Replied by dshelly on topic If it doesnt start, should i sell it???
Sounds like your float level in #1 is too high. Did you say you bought a manual? Should show how to set the floats.

'77 Kz1000B1
'78 Kz1000A2
'76 Kz900LTD

More
14 Jul 2010 10:01 #382621 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic If it doesnt start, should i sell it???
RobQ wrote:

...problem which was the original problem when i received the bike is once started, carb 1 leaks out of the drain. 2,3,and 4 do not leak but num 1 still does and its a fairly fast drip. The carbs are beyond clean. Maybe just the drain plug screw is bad or the o ring in that screw is bad???????

Might be cracked overflow tube.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
14 Jul 2010 10:16 #382623 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic If it doesnt start, should i sell it???
old bikes require time and patience. stick with it if u like older bikes. sell if u dont. from my experience, an older bike can drain your time and money, but is worth it if u have a passion for older bikes like i do. dont rush through things

1979 KZ650B3

• ready2ryde1985
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
14 Jul 2010 11:32 #382630 by ready2ryde1985
Replied by ready2ryde1985 on topic If it doesnt start, should i sell it???
Buy new or build what ya got. I dont like the newer bikes and the olderones have proven them selves time and time agen. not saying its right for you but building the bike is just as fun as riden once you get it lined out you will feel like you have acomplished somethin.

The other + is that not just anyone rides these bikes they take time pacience and an understanding g/f lol
Just sayn you will look alot cooler on a hand built bike that isnt perfict compared to a cookie cutter pretty bike lol.

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd

More
14 Jul 2010 19:26 #382718 by schmol
Replied by schmol on topic If it doesnt start, should i sell it???
where exactly is the fuel leaking out of your carb? is it leaking right at the screw or it is running down from further up on the carb? What is the position of the petcock switch, reserve, prime, or on? If it is in the prime position, turn it to the on and see if the carb still leaks, I just went through a similar issues with my GPZ750 and it ended up being the petcock needed replaced...